Idea for a new interpretation of JENOVA and Meteor.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Something just occurred to me. I'm gonna write it here because I'm not sure there's enough here to justify an editorial, but it just might. I wanna get some opinions first on the idea.

What if JENOVA arrived on Gaia riding Meteor? We know very little about her, except that she arrived sometime before 2000 years in the past, and whatever means of transportation she had made a really damned big hole in the Knowlspoll. What if Meteor itself isn't just the means of destruction, but also the fact that it carries a JENOVA creature to ensure complete annihilation of life.

According the planet's own rules, the Lifestream can heal the planet, and continue the cycle of life. Meteor could possibly smash through to the core, but it still sounds like a planet's lifestream could negate this, and indeed does. HOWEVER, we also know via EU material that JENOVA cells contaminate lifestream. It's what's allowed Sephiroth to return twice, and keeps other souls from being reintigrated into the lifestream. An infected soul like Hojo and Sephiroth can never return, ultimately weakening the power of the lifestream. So if a JENOVA is able to infect enough people, Meteor can do it's job unimpeded.

Perhaps the Black Materia has been a JENOVA device all. A culture gets a hold of it, and in their ignorance, use it to pull a world cleansing apocalypses, and believing it can still be stopped. Only with JENOVA, it intends to finish the job, converting the entire planet to match her own lifeforce wavelength. It becomes a breeding ground for her kind to populate, and then this reduced husk of a planet becomes the next Meteor, and a new Black Materia finds a home in another world.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Okay, for most of your post I was confused because I thought it was always a given that Jenova arrived on a meteorite. (And Sephiroth's actions in Advent Children imply that maybe it was even another planet that she had already had her way with. Spira? :troll:).

But you're asking if Jenova might have arrived specifically because someone cast the Ultimate Black Magic in the past?

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Okay, for most of your post I was confused because I thought it was always a given that Jenova arrived on a meteorite. (And Sephiroth's actions in Advent Children imply that maybe it was even another planet that she had already had her way with. Spira? :troll:).

But you're asking if Jenova might have arrived specifically because someone cast the Ultimate Black Magic in the past?

Yep. The paintings in The Temple of Ancients seems to imply that Meteor has been summoned in the past.

How many damned things can one planet have crash into it?

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Yeah, I've heard this theory before. It's not implausible since the description we're given in-game of Meteor makes it sound as though the spell grabs onto an existing chunk of rock from space rather than conjuring one from scratch.

That being said, it also strikes me as perfectly plausible that the Meteor spell/Black Materia exists because the material formed from the memories of dead people who saw Jenova's (non-magical) meteor arrive some 2000 years ago. :monster:

Top Bottom