Beauty & the Beast

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
That might actually be really interesting, and tbh, make sense? The way they're playing it, yeah, the eternal sidekick who one day is so enamored with him. I'd buy it.

Also just saw the clip of Gaston's song, hah <3

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
That might actually be really interesting, and tbh, make sense? The way they're playing it, yeah, the eternal sidekick who one day is so enamored with him. I'd buy it.

Also just saw the clip of Gaston's song, hah <3

I'm seeing it more likely to pay off the same way Nathaniel does in Enchanted. LeFou will see Gaston for the monster he really is, and strike out on his own. Only with new found confidence and independence does LeFou find love and respect. Probably with one of the newly re-humanized servants at the castle or something that was in the background but kept as a running joke to serve the pay off.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
So they have the soundtrack up already on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyMusicVEVO/videos

I took a peak at the first musical number Belle, to get an idea of what to expect. While Emma is auto-tuned a bit, so is pretty much everyone else. It seems less a condemnation of her singing voice so much as studio paranoia that EVERYONE has to sound perfect.

I'm pretty sure immersed in the film, nobody is going to notice. It does more service to the film than distracts from it.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Just got back from seeing it. It's fantastic, though I did miss the first 15-20 minutes due to a minor traffic jam. But overall it's a satisfying film that does justice to the original, and in some ways, I dare say does it better. I also have to say some other parts are weaker, but mostly my only complaint is the modern "Everything that isn't nail to the floor must move" sweeping camera that is a headache in all films these days.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
^Pretty much this. I saw it today and am very happy with it.

A lot of concerns that we've been hearing about were either overblown or plain incorrect. For example, Maurice is still a tinkerer. Yes, Belle has an eye for invention as well here, but it's at least implied that it's a trait she got from her dad.

Emma Watson works in the role really well when you're able to take the context of more than one scene. I agree with a previous comment that she seemed to "stomp through" the opening song a little bit, but here the character's frustration with her surroundings is a little more vivid and, honestly, more believable.

As for Beast, it's true that he's got a hint of handsome to him even in his beastly form, but, once again, when taking a wider view beyond still-images, his design works really well. He needs to be able to express emotions on his face in an instantly recognizable way. Had they buried his features under more fur or made his jaw and cheek bones too different from what they are now, that could be lost.

I don't really have any excuse for his horns being like they are here instead of more bull-like, as in the original, but I didn't say the movie was perfect either. :monster:

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
We saw it last night and enjoyed it. With such a close adaptation to the original, it's a little more tough not to draw direct comparisons, and we both still like the original over this one, although this one definitely isn't bad, there were a few things that we were a little disappointed by:

&#8226; The beast is curse for being vain and being a jerk, but he's a lot older, so a lot of his Beastly traits just come off as him still being a jerk, rather than being less-human, and things like drinking from the bowl of soup feel less&#8230; authentically something he'd do? Same with wearing rags for no reason in the start. That gets somewhat exacerbated by his more human appearance, in some places but is negligible in others.
&#8226; The enchantress's curse affects some of the castle folk for what seems to be because they didn't stop his father from turning him into a jackass of a prince, but that doesn't explain why Chip was there but not several of the other townsfolk.
&#8226; The enchantress just hangs out in town as a poor spinster, but DOESN'T curse the everliving bajeezis out of Gaston, because&#8230;?
&#8226; The Beast's song as Belle rides away was very self pitiable and felt a little bit unhealthily obsessive, imo.
&#8226; For some reason, the Rose makes the passage of time SO confusing, because it feels like the whole of the film takes place in just a few days, and with the curse, maybe took place over a month?

Again, a lot of little stuff to nitpick at, but it's because it's so much closer to the original that there are lots of things to parallel and contrast and makes it a lot tougher to just judge it on its own (even though I haven't seen the original in AGES, but the missus has watched it far more than I). It's a good watch, and has got some really impressive adaptation to pull off what they did, but I definitely prefer the live action Disney films where they don't stick as solidly to trying to do a 1:1 to the original as much.

X :neo:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
Admittedly, I was really sceptical about this working. Whilst there are a few things that could have improved it, I really enjoyed this adaptation. I just got back from seeing it and left feeling good because Dan Stevens finally got to show his pretty face at the end.

Top Bottom