New things and plot points I want to see (spoilers)

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Someone still needs to explain to me what could make you think Marlene was actually RUNNING the bar. There's no one there but Avalanche when they roll out, and they aren't gone that long. And, as stated, a four year old doing so is patently absurd.

As for hian's preaching, no one is advocating for leaving 4 years olds alone. Just that this is a silly thing to harp on in this game. It's a throwaway scene, for one, and Marlene is shown to be downright mystical on multiple occasions. Barret's day-job is a terrorist, I don't recall anyone awarding him parent of the year awards based on that alone. He lifts a four year old child when one of his arms is a loaded gun. That he left her alone for a couple of hours is about as irresponsible as his profession.

But fine, stick in some random old lady watering the flower boxes on the deck as they head out to murder a bunch of people if it will unwad all your panties. :monster: "Ah, NOW he's a good father. Phew."

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
*BRIEF, OFF TOPIC MODERATIVE-TYPE STUFF*

You don't talk with anyone here. You lecture.

@hian – Basically it comes down to just what ChipNoir said here.

Please remember that everyone here is just trying to have a conversation about ____ and there are ways of being respectful to people when replying them, but that tone is often lacking from your posts when you have an opposing viewpoint from them on something. Treating others with respect isn't just avoiding swearing at them, etc.

In general to EVERYONE: Please remember that we're all peers here and make sure to acknowledge when your language is a bit prickly – whether or not you intend it that way – and try to dial it back a bit when it happens. We've all occasionally been less-than-perfect at this, and we all WANT to have a good conversation on this regardless of what points of view you take up on whatever thing.

*PLEASE CONTINUE WITH YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED CONVERSATION*

X :neo:

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Hian.

I don't think it's established when and even if they come back.

No, but we have no reason to think otherwise. They don't have any other headquarters. We see Tifa come out of sector 7 in a carriage while dressed up, it seems unlikely she was travelling from somewhere else.

They might not come back at all, and indeed they should be prepared for that.

The fact that they leave Marlene alone, knowing they might never be able to return for her, is indicative of bad parenting. The fact that they happen to have the good luck to return does not change that, and as such is a red herring.

This presupposes that no arrangements have been made for if they don't come back, when we have no no way of knowing that one way or the other. And Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie pull out early on the mission. We don't know where they're going, but we also don't know where they're not going. It seems most likely to me that they're going back to HQ. I could be wrong, but we're presented with no alternative.

As for possible solutions to some of the practical concerns I raised - this also entirely misses the point.
Tifa could have left food out - Marlene could also choke to death on that food as she might not be able to pace herself properly when eating, and nobody will be there to help her.

The clogging of the toilet could have a huge taxing effect on their personal economy and ability to properly feed Marlene. Hey, Barret takes money out of Marlene's schooling to pay Cloud to help him commit terror.

Some of the practical concerns that you raised only arise if left alone for longer than part of a day. For the rest, nobody at all was saying that leaving Marlene alone is a good idea. But if there's no other option, and sometimes there really isn't, the risk can be mitigated to a degree. "Keep out of reach of children" is a thing that can be done for the most dangerous items. At 4, Marlene probably isn't tall enough to reach the bar unless she has something to climb, which takes a lot of dangerous things out of the equation short of bad luck, which is indeed possible.

Also relevant is that the people living with the child are going to know its limits. If Marlene has trouble with eating, dressing, using a toilet, et cetera, Barret and Tifa will know and factor that into their plans. Any problems that result in 'making a mess' aren't that big a deal, especially since Tifa runs a bar. A mess in the bathroom/on the floor is unlikely to be new or surprising.

The point here is that, by not being here, there's a million and one ways in which Marlene can fetch herself up, which would not happen if they were there.

Entirely true. I am not and never was claiming that leaving Marlene alone is perfect parenting. My stance is just that on being left alone, once, for a short while, it is reasonable to expect her to manage to not harm herself in the interim. It is the kind of thing that parents in difficult situations sometimes have no choice but to do. They are often not happy about it, but sometimes there really is no choice.

On the other hand, I can see where you're coming from, and I don't think it's time for anyone to start namecalling. Child abuse, even in fiction, is something that can and should be taken seriously. But if expecting everyone at all times to perfectly care for children, well, a hell of a lot of fiction suddenly goes out the window. You lose practically all non dystopian YA fiction where children both have adventures and sympathetic parents, and maybe will end up not being able to read any stories with children in them whatsoever. (I'm having a slightly similar argument in another forum about Star Wars right now.)

Finally, hian, if it eases your mind, I don't have children. But you might be advised to be careful who you say things like that to, because some people could easily take a statement like that very personally, and a person having a particular opinion about a depiction of a fictional child has no real bearing on how the same person treats their own real children, especially in a few lines of a hypothetical in a gaming forum. I know what you meant, I'm not bothered by it, but I'd consider carefully the implications next time you're inclined to put forward an opinion like that. Just as a friendly stranger on the internet.

Edit: Sorry, X, wrote this before your post, if something's wrong go ahead and edit or PM me.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
A new thing I would like to see is Johnny expanded a bit. He's kind of a dope in the slums, leaving, not leaving, showing up at Honeybee Inn etc. so when you meet him again in Costa del Sol (well, when Tifa meets him again) there should be... I don't know.. more there? I mean, he's the only other survivor as far as you know... There should be something more than Cloud being jealous.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
A new thing I would like to see is Johnny expanded a bit. He's kind of a dope in the slums, leaving, not leaving, showing up at Honeybee Inn etc. so when you meet him again in Costa del Sol (well, when Tifa meets him again) there should be... I don't know.. more there? I mean, he's the only other survivor as far as you know... There should be something more than Cloud being jealous.

As the president of the Biggs & Johnny Fanclub, I approve.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I'd like to see Reno come to terms for his actions and as given option on whether to fight the Turks for the final time or not, he'd give Cloud a warm smile before their departure for the next two years.

Pixel

The Pixie King
Something I'd like to see is if they tie the Tifa date more into her childhood dream of being rescued. She says she'd like to experience that just once. I'd like to see the play as sort of wish fullfillment for her. And when Cloud doesnt go along with it, she gets upset/annoyed.

I wonder if that was the original intention of that play, but it was kinda lost in translation.

Fangu

Great Old One
idk, to me the message was always kind of like - Tifa wanted to be rescued as a child, but then grew up and realised she had to rescue herself, which she did, and then some.

I probably missed the connection with the date, if that was the intention. Anyway different angles I guess :monster:

I'd like to see Reno come to terms for his actions and as given option on whether to fight the Turks for the final time or not, he'd give Cloud a warm smile before their departure for the next two years.

Tasha, why would Reno give Cloud a warm smile? (As opposed to a leering smirk?) What would be going through his head at that moment?

ForceStealer

Double Growth
idk, to me the message was always kind of like - Tifa wanted to be rescued as a child, but then grew up and realised she had to rescue herself, which she did, and then some.

I think you're right, but she still seemed genuinely touched/pleased when she learned that Cloud really did try to save her at Nibelheim.

Last edited:

ultima espio

Pro Adventurer
I'd like the Princess Guard to be obtained a little earlier. By the time you get it in the Temple of the Ancients you've only got 2 boss battles to use it in, then Aerith's gone. You barely get any use out of it.

Top Bottom