The Top 20 Final Fantasy VII Songs - Backed by Numbers

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Hello all,

Final Fantasy VII's soundtrack has the luxury of receiving many re-releases, remakes, concerts, and even some updates. I thought it would be interesting to discover the most popular tracks by tallying up the number of times each song appears outside of the original OST from a list of well-known song collections. This is by no means a complete compilation of every collection out there, but I believe it should be enough to give us a good picture. The ten references I used are as follows:

Reunion Tracks
Piano Collections
Advent Children Complete OST
Crisis Core OST
Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy + DLC
FFXV Regalia Radio
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call + DLC
Vinyl Limited Edition
Final Symphony
Distant Worlds

Here are the results (1 vote = 1 appearance):
1. One-Winged Angel (10 votes)
2. Let the Battle's Begin!, Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII, J-E-N-O-V-A, Aerith's Theme (9 votes)
3. Opening ~ Bombing Mission, Fight on! (8 votes)
4. Tifa's Theme, The Chase, Rufus's Welcoming Ceremony, Gold Saucer, Cosmo Canyon (5 votes)
5. Prelude, Anxious Heart, Farm Boy, Electric de Chocobo, Cid's Theme, Forested Temple, The Highwind Takes to the Skies (3 votes)
6. Birth of a God (2 votes) *thelifestream.net tie-breaker

*thelifestream.net tie-breaker - I didn't want this to be a "Top 19" list cause that's just weird, so I referenced this site's recent poll "The Lifestream ranks Final Fantasy songs" to choose one track from the pool of songs with two votes. This causes some conflict as The Great Warrior placed two spots higher than Birth of a God in your poll, but The Great Warrior only managed to get one vote from my reference list. I eventually decided to prioritize my list, hence I chose Birth of a God as it was the first song with two votes to appear on your top 100 list.

Notes:

- One-Winged Angel is everywhere. Look at that perfect score with 10 out of 10. This is the king of Final Fantasy VII songs.

- The Top 5 songs (groups #1 and #2) make for a short but killer playlist. If you need a VII nostalgia hit, this is where it's at. I also recommend the Top 7 songs (groups #1, #2, #3) as it makes for a cool playlist name (e.g. VII's Top VII).

- I consider the Top 12 songs (groups #1, #2, #3, #4) to be the "essential collection" of FFVII music. It's got everything. From rad battle tunes to memorable environment tracks, it's loaded with personality. Speaking of personality, why is "Rufus's Welcoming Ceremony" so loved by Square? I find the track very annoying, which I know is its purpose, but c'mon. It must be fun to perform?

- Here are the other songs to receive two votes: Turks' Theme, On Our Way, Cait Sith's Theme, Lifestream, Descendant of Shinobi, Words Drowned by Fireworks, Judgement Day, The Planet's Crisis. If you didn't like my pick for the twentieth spot, choose your own!

For your listening pleasure, here is a YouTube playlist of the Top 20 songs:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlkjJMiQX8Edgse6GsVmm96FIthX93yDc

So did your favorite song make the cut? Unfortunately for me, "On the Other Side of the Mountain" didn't secure a single vote. That's crazy, this list must be rigged.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I like the approach! If you're up for it, we could turn this into a front page article. Let me know what you think. :)

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Alright! I've got an article lined up for today already and some other things planned for the weekend but I'll be in touch early next week. :)

Top Bottom