Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (story/content)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
It's got two populated areas. Positively teeming with life compared to Mideel and Wutai.

I wasn't comparing it to those locations though, I said in comparison to the other two continents, which one would either count Mideel and Wutai as separate from and/or count them under the two continents each are closest to.

Animexcel

Pro Adventurer
Nah. The thing that cements Aerith as the Mother is that she didn't just lose her mother, but her entire race. While Tifa is driven by the loss of her father, she has other motivations based on her love for Cloud. Aerith is completely driven by the similarities to Zack, even if she later learns love. But the fact is she's still the older character, the more tragic one, and ultimately sidelined. Even if not by death, I think Cloud still would have gravitated to Tifa for the stronger connection of their past.

Aerith might be bubbly, she's also more assertive and wiser and knowledgable. Tifa, for all that she tries to be everyone's emotional core, is a highly insecure character who makes some very bad mistakes.

tumblr_ma25sb4W2m1rs1hs9o2_500.gif

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Between Episode Gladio & Episode Prompto, it's definitely making me want to see alternate costumes for the cast in various locales (in addition to things like Advent Children DLC costumes). It'd be neat if they got to keep things as they used them, too:
• Wallmarket outfits, obvs.
• The ShinRa Sailor disguise outfits from the boat.
• Costa Del Sol beach outfits like Zack had ever-so-briefly in Crisis Core (maybe as a reward for buying the house).
• Winter outfits when going up North are pretty much a must.

What I'm not sure about is whether or not it'd be something where minor stat changes (like XV does) would be something that'd be worth doing. Personally, I really like it because it makes using the outfits in certain areas more viable. (For example, swimsuits might increase your action/recovery but lower your defense and/or reduce damage from fire but increase damage from cold). If they do, they ought to be minor enough differences that they feel significant at lower levels, so that it's passively encouraging to dress for the occasion – but minor enough that when you level up enough that you can dress in whatever you want any time.

On top of that, without getting too spoilery Episode Prompto reinforced the initial feelings that I got from XV about how to handle the first encounter with Hojo in the ShinRa HQ. Whereas the polarizing original Chapter 13 reminded me a lot of Trail of Blood in the sort of omni-present creepy nature of it, I think that this reinforced that SE isn't afraid to go all in on the disturbing scientists and their weird-ass experiments.

On the more spoilery end of things
there are brief sections of Prompto hallucinating himself into the body of Magitek Troopers and also seeing manifestations of his younger self, and that's VERY much the sort of thing that I'm expecting from Cloud when he has his early mental episodes.

X :neo:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
^I love 'role-playing' with appropriate outfits as an RPG allows, but that's actually sort of my issue with the XV ones, the most appropriate outfit often had worse stats/stats that didn't suit my playstyle. So I'd almost rather they didn't.

Especially considering the stats of the XV outfits make almost no sense at all. None of those preppy designer outfits would help a thing, lol :monster:

hleV

Pro Adventurer
In case appropriate costumes are not forced:
Appropriate costumes should provide no real bonuses, however inappropriate ones should marginally reduce stats.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Appropriate costumes should provide no real bonuses, however inappropriate ones should marginally reduce stats.

How do you implement that though, and what decides what's appropriate & inappropriate? Obviously there are clear ones like swimsuits in the arctic, but what about things like Ms. Cloud or the Sailor outfits?

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
^I love 'role-playing' with appropriate outfits as an RPG allows, but that's actually sort of my issue with the XV ones, the most appropriate outfit often had worse stats/stats that didn't suit my playstyle. So I'd almost rather they didn't.

Especially considering the stats of the XV outfits make almost no sense at all. None of those preppy designer outfits would help a thing, lol :monster:

I like that jackets always boost your defense a little bit, and the non-jacketed version do something else. That's the kind of differentiation that I really like. (Well, that and the fact that the hazmat suits ignore fire damage).

How do you implement that though, and what decides what's appropriate & inappropriate? Obviously there are clear ones like swimsuits in the arctic, but what about things like Ms. Cloud or the Sailor outfits?

hleV

Pro Adventurer

Hmm, I haven't really considered it. Now that I think about it, there may not be enough different environments in FF7 world to warrant this mechanic of manually choosing the better costume, as story-related costumes (dress, sailor) should probably be forced.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Hmm, I haven't really considered it. Now that I think about it, there may not be enough different environments in FF7 world to warrant this mechanic of manually choosing the better costume, as story-related costumes (dress, sailor) should probably be forced.

I'm fine with things where when you exit ____ story section with new specific costumes, they go back to default (i.e. whatever was equipped before the forced change into a new event costume).

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
The Shinra MP's outfit for Tifa, Aerith and Red XIII would consequently be quite a buff, got helmets and everything.

BforB

Pro Adventurer
AKA
B
I'm hoping that the sequence depicting Sephiroth's descent into madness at the Shinra Manor more creepy and involved and reaming with intensity. Also I kind of want some slight, underlying instability about him to show through even before the influence of Jenova/his spiral. Admittedly the first few times during the OG (pre-compilation/pre-additional info), I had felt a bit of a disconnect between knowing that Sephiroth had gone mad, and not really believing it because it wasn't something I thought capable of his character. Of course, a lot of this could be attributed to some graphic and writing limitations.

I really want this part to crawl under my skin. I would also love for them to truly max out the sinister creep factor of Twilight Zone!Nibelheim. Robotically cordial facial expressions and everything.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
I know this has been joked about numerous times, but in all seriousness, this:

https://gematsu.com/2018/01/final-f...er-seen-final-fantasy-vii-remake-image-boards This also popped up. With 20 year old spoilers, not that Square has ever cared.

And all the comments about spoilers - and yet how SE want to bring VII to a new generation - got me thinking about this with a fresh perspective. I really do wonder whether they will pull a bait and switch and try to do a different death to shock players, or maybe even do the death in an entirely different way or setting.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
I know this has been joked about numerous times, but in all seriousness, this:

https://gematsu.com/2018/01/final-f...er-seen-final-fantasy-vii-remake-image-boards This also popped up. With 20 year old spoilers, not that Square has ever cared.

And all the comments about spoilers - and yet how SE want to bring VII to a new generation - got me thinking about this with a fresh perspective. I really do wonder whether they will pull a bait and switch and try to do a different death to shock players, or maybe even do the death in an entirely different way or setting.

Nah. Square just can't wrap their head around the idea that someone hasn't played their masterpiece.

Then again, they spoiled the thing way back during the initial U.S release as well.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I mean it is the Vader-is-Luke's-father of video games. There isn't much sense in pretending that people might not know, especially in Japan.

I only don't see them doing the bait and switch thing because of how fundamentally it would change the story.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
I 'could' see them going to the theorized drop point that she was meant to die at North Crater. But I feel like they changed that because it would just be too much dumped on the player all at once, losing one character permanently and having another ejected from the party because of mental illness.

It would have been interesting to see Aerith's reaction to her own childhood records though.

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
I 'could' see them going to the theorized drop point that she was meant to die at North Crater. But I feel like they changed that because it would just be too much dumped on the player all at once, losing one character permanently and having another ejected from the party because of mental illness.

It would have been interesting to see Aerith's reaction to her own childhood records though.
Thing is, her death is what's driving the plot and the chase for Sephiroth forward. Sure, there's also the Black Materia and the need to prevent Sephiroth from using it, but Aerith's death ups the stakes even more (who else will he kill off?) and give the group, especially Cloud, the necessary drive to ensure Cloud's participation in the Reunion and ensuring the acquisition of the Black Materia by breaking his mind to finally summon Meteor. It also seemingly prevents the summoning of Holy, the last counter measure against Meteor, to increase the stakes and hopelessness even more.

Regarding the tapes: while I'm certainly curious as well about her reaction to the tapes, I think it's much more impactful when the group finds and watches those tapes after her demise. It rubs salt into a fresh wound.

IF they throw a curve ball at us, I think it would be rather the execution of the events and scenes at the Forgotten Capital. The well known event comes around and everybody expects the fateful FMV, then suddenly something intervenes, letting the players believe that she might live (outrage incoming), but then it happens shortly after, just different.

Not sure if they'll do something like this, but I wouldn't put it past them. They flat out told us they'll find ways to surprise the players, after all.

Yes. I mean, the point of Aerith's death is that she is cut down meaninglessly in the middle of life. She'd only just begun to accept her Cetra heritage and understand what it meant. She would have loved to see those tapes; they would have helped her a lot. These are precisely the thoughts we're supposed to think. The fact that her friends discover those tapes of her infancy so soon after her death underscores the point that death never comes at the right time; we all have unfinished business.

Imagine the shock of everyone when they notice that Sephiroth keeps his gloves on THE ENTIRE TIME during the remake version of Aerith's death. :monster:

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Make Aeris' death as horrific as the eclipse in Berserk. Make cardboard villain Sephiroth as horrifying and hateable as Griffith. Make Cloud's sword 9ft long. Let's see him go into a blinding possessed rage where he beats the shit out of Aeris. Let there be lots of blood.

Actually... you know what, fuck the FF7 remake. Give me a new, well-animated Berserk anime instead :'(

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
IF they throw a curve ball at us, I think it would be rather the execution of the events and scenes at the Forgotten Capital. The well known event comes around and everybody expects the fateful FMV, then suddenly something intervenes, letting the players believe that she might live (outrage incoming), but then it happens shortly after, just different.

Not sure if they'll do something like this, but I wouldn't put it past them. They flat out told us they'll find ways to surprise the players, after all.

Yeah, something along those lines is what I was thinking. I could see them doing that.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Aerith's death was bad enough. If the Remake ends up having Tifa killed as well, I will NOT be happy.

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
Can't see it happening; it's just too much to redact retcon. Tifa comes close to being killed a couple of times anyway.

Last edited:

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
The moment is too iconic for Square to resist showing it off in full remake glory though. I really don't think they''re gonna screw with that kinda thing.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
The moment is too iconic for Square to resist showing it off in full remake glory though. I really don't think they''re gonna screw with that kinda thing.

You want Tifa to die?:'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom