• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Voice Acting Discussion

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I guess I'm also one in the few that liked Mena Suvari's take as well.

Some of her lines fell flat emotionally, but the pitch and softness of her voice at times I thought really nailed what I thought Aerith would sound like.

Same here, and I'm so glad I'm not the only one who actually liked Mena Suvari's take as Aerith. As you said, the pitch and softness she did is what I liked as Aerith's voice as well. It suits her personality perfectly.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato

I am aware that people's voices change, because it's part of getting older. But I still prefer them reprise their roles none the less.

The VA's are getting older, the characters they portray are getting younger. Yuffie will be 16, Tifa 6, 13, 15 and 20, Cloud 7, 14, 16 and 21, Zack, 18 and 23. For some of them not changing the voice could be less then ideal decision.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie

I am aware that people's voices change, because it's part of getting older. But I still prefer them reprise their roles none the less.

The VA's are getting older, the characters they portray are getting younger. Yuffie will be 16, Tifa 6, 13, 15 and 20, Cloud 7, 14, 16 and 21, Zack, 18 and 23. For some of them not changing the voice could be less then ideal decision.

Well, Yuffie's youngerself never got any voices at all. Her speech was just text, especially in Crisis Core.

Besides, I don't expect Steve Burton or Rachael to portray Cloud and Tifa's younger selves. Just reprise their roles as 21 year old Cloud and 20 year old Tifa. I'm sure they'll find child actors to voice the characters' youngerselves, like they did with KH: Birth By Sleep for Sora, Riku and Kairi.

Still, I'd loved them to return, none the less.

BforB

Pro Adventurer
AKA
B
I guess I'm also one in the few that liked Mena Suvari's take as well.

Some of her lines fell flat emotionally, but the pitch and softness of her voice at times I thought really nailed what I thought Aerith would sound like.

Same here, and I'm so glad I'm not the only one who actually liked Mena Suvari's take as Aerith. As you said, the pitch and softness she did is what I liked as Aerith's voice as well. It suits her personality perfectly.

I agree with you there. Even though I think there's much room for improvement with Mena's voice acting, I do love her voice for Aerith the most. I hope that improvement shows through if she does reprise her role as Aerith. I found that she had made a lot of progress between KH2 and ACC, so it's not unlikely. Here's hoping for a great voice director.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I remember seeing the KH2 interview with her and I couldn't believe how much better her regular speaking voice would have been. I don't know why they made her hike it up a million octaves.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Andrea Bowen is Aerith ftom now on. Thank goodness for that.

Where'd you hear that? We've only heard Andrea Bowen as Aerith once and that's in Crisis Core.

At least I have.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Andrea Bowen is Aerith ftom now on. Thank goodness for that.

Where'd you hear that? We've only heard Andrea Bowen as Aerith once and that's in Crisis Core.

At least I have.

She reprised her role as Aerith in Dissidia Duodecim. So that makes her the ONLY person to have done two specific game roles for Aerith. So I'm inclined to believe she's going to be their go-to by default. And I'm happy for that. She's the closest anyone has come to actually matching her personality: Nice, but not saccharine. If she comes back to do Aerith bits in Opera Omnia, I'm pretty sure she'll have been cemented as Aerith.

Something about the sorta scratchy way that Bowen came up with her voice really matches Aerith's unconventional personality. I'd love to know where she came up with it, given it doesn't sound like her normal speaking voice or any role she plays on TV.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
That's only just in Crisis Core and Dissidia Duodecim, though. Mena voiced Aerith twice too. Both in Advent Children and Kingdom Hearts 2. So they're both equal at the moment, and Square could pick either one or pick someone else again entirely for all we know.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
That's only just in Crisis Core and Dissidia Duodecim, though. Mena voiced Aerith twice too. Both in Advent Children and Kingdom Hearts 2. So they're both equal at the moment, and Square could pick either one or pick someone else again entirely for all we know.

Budget and interest is a factor. Andrea Bowen also had a role in AC, as a minor character. Meaning she was willing to take a lesser role. And obviously Suvari didn't want to come back for CC. Either they didn't offer her enough, or games weren't high profile enough for her interest. Not that I see Suvari doing anything amazing these days.

Bowen however, has returned for her roles, and Square tends to favor loyalty in their contracts.

And lets face it, you're kiiiinda in the minority. Most people HATE how Suvari was directed in AC and KH2. So her name is poison now. Meanwhile I haven't heard rave reviews about Bowen, but nobody''s complained either.

Also I just double checked Bowen's IMDB: She's Aerith in Final Fantasy Explorers. So that's three games actually, all in a row.

Mena is officially out.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA

Budget and interest is a factor. Andrea Bowen also had a role in AC, as a minor character. Meaning she was willing to take a lesser role. And obviously Suvari didn't want to come back for CC. Either they didn't offer her enough, or games weren't high profile enough for her interest. Not that I see Suvari doing anything amazing these days.

Bowen however, has returned for her roles, and Square tends to favor loyalty in their contracts.

And lets face it, you're kiiiinda in the minority. Most people HATE how Suvari was directed in AC and KH2. So her name is poison now. Meanwhile I haven't heard rave reviews about Bowen, but nobody''s complained either.

Also I just double checked Bowen's IMDB: She's Aerith in Final Fantasy Explorers. So that's three games actually, all in a row.

Mena is officially out.

Why do I suddenly feel like you're trying to force me to hate Mena Suvari? What's wrong with me liking her and like slightly different things?

And really, why is everyone against her when I've heard voices that were just as bad? Like Paul Eiding as Hojo for example even though that guy had good roles in other animated shows, films and games.

I, really, just, like, her, as, Aerith, in, Advent Children, and, Kingdom Hearts 2. Sure I have to accept that she won't voice Aerith again, but why can't I like her anyway?

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer

Mena is officially out.

Why do I suddenly feel like you're trying to force me to hate Mena Suvari? What's wrong with me liking her and like slightly different things?

And really, why is everyone against her when I've heard voices that were just as bad? Like Paul Eiding as Hojo for example even though that guy had good roles in other animated shows, films and games.

I, really, just, like, her, as, Aerith, in, Advent Children, and, Kingdom Hearts 2. Sure I have to accept that she won't voice Aerith again, but why can't I like her anyway?

Eh. You're right. You like who you like, and that's fine. I guess to me that's kinda like saying you enjoy onion&sardine sandwiches. Its a hard thing to process. Not fair to push at it though. Lord knows I get flack for liking Burton as Cloud for a long time before people came around to him.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Eh. You're right. You like who you like, and that's fine. I guess to me that's kinda like saying you enjoy onion&sardine sandwiches. Its a hard thing to process. Not fair to push at it though. Lord knows I get flack for liking Burton as Cloud for a long time before people came around to him.

Everyone likes different things and/or people. No one can change that fact. Admittedly, though, I hate onions and sardine, and I never heard of the two combined in a sandwich before either.

Besides, I love Burton as Cloud too, so there's nothing wrong with that.

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
Has this been posted already?!? The conversation as of late had me lookin'!

I think I mourn the loss of Mandy Moore but am personally on the Andrea Bowen boat between her and Mena! I always pictured Aerith's voice being a bit more, idk, knowing and flirtatious?? Like she's always warming up to a laugh, ya know? But hey, can't fight that flanderisation game, so breathy Aeris it is. :reptar:

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
I think the thing that poisons me against Suvari the most isn't even her acting, but just how little the directors informed her on the character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzM5vqLYGZo She really...doesn't seem to get the character beyond whatever superficial info the directors gave her.

Compare that to Cook who seems to have a much better grip on who Tifa is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG9cEuZ133c

Now to be fair, Aerith in the KH franchise is a bit ...er...dialed back. Where as Tifa is actually pretty true to who she is in every game. So I think RLC had a bit more of an advantage.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
I think the thing that poisons me against Suvari the most isn't even her acting, but just how little the directors informed her on the character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzM5vqLYGZo She really...doesn't seem to get the character beyond whatever superficial info the directors gave her.

Compare that to Cook who seems to have a much better grip on who Tifa is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG9cEuZ133c

Now to be fair, Aerith in the KH franchise is a bit ...er...dialed back. Where as Tifa is actually pretty true to who she is in every game. So I think RLC had a bit more of an advantage.

You have to admit that Mena sounds better as Aerith than Hojo's annoying, evil and creepy, shuddering voice he has-High Pitched, near-ear bleeding. The character himself is just plain creepy and his voice is even worse.

I'm sorry, but Hojo's the only one I have issues with. Then again, most people pretty much hate the guy, anyway.

What I'm dreading the most is how Scarlet will sound like in the Remake when she is finally given a voice actor for the first time in FFVII history.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer

You have to admit that Mena sounds better as Aerith than Hojo's annoying, evil and creepy, shuddering voice he has-High Pitched, near-ear bleeding. The character himself is just plain creepy and his voice is even worse.

I'm sorry, but Hojo's the only one I have issues with. Then again, most people pretty much hate the guy, anyway.

What I'm dreading the most is how Scarlet will sound like in the Remake when she is finally given a voice actor for the first time in FFVII history.

Hojo just...sounded like he should to me: An insane scientist with a god complex. A little cartoonish, but Hojo is not exactly a realistic character among the VII cast. I don't have a lot of stake in that character, so I don't really care.

Animexcel

Pro Adventurer

I have to agree. I'm not the biggest fan of Suvari's Aerith. Her voice sounded very tired-like and felt like she's just saying the lines with no feeling behind the situation.

Last edited:

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
OMG SANO ELI FOR TIFA PLEASE SHE WAS PERFECT IN THE

Like, I know it's not going to happen. :okay: But in a perfect universe where everyone did as I said, lmao, she'd definitely be casted for the part.

Top Bottom