It

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
I come to thee a newb in the IT-verse with a few questions regarding the creature/film/and books, I suppose.

I began to research this myself but was sort of bogged down with essays that didn't satisfy my curiosity. Then I thought, "OH HEY I HAVE BUDDIES ON THE FORUM WHO ARE ALL ABOUT THAT IT LIFE, MAYBE THEY'LL ANSWER MAH QUESTIONS." Jaja, so, forgive my laziness but THANK YOU in advance.

I saw it last night with a couple of friends and, similar to Shad,
I was deeply upset about Georgie's death. That was the single image that haunted me the most throughout the entire film. Indeed, after I got home, I laid in bed and was unable to sleep, 'cause all I could think about was that poor little boy crying out for his brother as he tried to crawl away with his arm ripped off. :c

I watched the film unreasonably invested in Georgie's survival, haha, hoping against hope that Bill would be able to save his brother. Like, I think deep down inside, I knew it wasn't going to happen, but those feels, man! Georgie and Bill loved each other so much ;_;

ANYWAY MY QUESTIONS ARE:
  1. Is Georgie forreals dead?
  2. Is Pennywise a metaphor for fear or child abuse? Kind of like how the Babadook
    is a metaphor for depression?
  3. Why did Pennywise choose to eat some children whilst other children merely 'floated' in the film? Like when Pennywise got Bev?
  4. So Georgie is forreal forreals dead?
  5. Did those floating children that descended in the end return to their families?
  6. Were those floating children basically Pennywise's refrigerator, like, was he going to eat them later?
  7. Are you seriously telling me that Georgie is definitely forreals dead?
  8. Those children floating in the sewer were DIFFERENT from the children that were blown up in the accident, right?
  9. Was Pennywise one of those children that blew up from the accident? Or was he just an employee of the circus at the time of the accident?
  10. If I asked you to lie to me and give me false hope that Georgie is definitely alive, would you?

Also, excellent film. Thanks again if anyone bothers answering these, lol.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
If you really want to be spoiled:

Pennywise is an alien eldritch interdimensional (?) monstrosity that arrived on earth (where Derry was built) in primal times, that manifests itself every 30-odd years or so to feed off the fear of children or something, appearing in multiple forms; a clown, a werewolf, and (final boss form), a monstrous (female) spider - but that's probably only what the human mind can comprehend and make of it, its true form Should Not Be Known, etc. He's probably not a metaphore for anything, because eldritch monstrosities just Are, even though they Should Not Be. The wikipedia page explains that It may be part of the Dark Tower's pantheon too, but, not sure.

Also yeah Georgie's dead. As are all the others that were killed.
And I guess because of Reasons and the fact parents can't see It and magic fields,
people tend to forget or not notice how Derry has a wave of children dying every 30-odd years.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Rewatched again today, and noticed something interesting.
It specifically manifests immediately after the kids are afraid of something ELSE.

• Georgie is scared that Bill will be mad his boat is lost.
• Mike is afraid of the bullies on his way to delivering meat to the butcher's.
• Stan is afraid of the flute woman painting.
• Ben reading about the scary history of the town.
• Bev is afraid of her dad's reaction when reading Ben's postcard in the bathroom.
• Eddie is afraid of the creepy old wellhouse as he walks by it.
• Mike is afraid of the bullies when they're attacking him.
• Eddie has a panic attack when they're watching the projector about the history of the town.
• Henry Bowers is afraid of his dad when he gets his knife in the mailbox.

Likewise, any time the group isn't wholly afraid, Pennywise always backs off. It's also why it takes the opportunity to grab Bev when it can when she's afraid of her dad / afraid of what'll happen after she knocks him out, especially since she's been uniting their group, It can get to the others without her there.

Either way, it's always interesting since you can start to indentify It's appearances and motivations based just on the kids and their fear. There're two scenes I didn't pay close enough attention to / recall clearly after noticing this which is Bill's scene in his house when he's chasing Georgie, and the scene where Patrick disappears. For Patrick, I think it points to him being more afraid of all the missing kids than he lets on, but I don't recall what Bill was doing just before Georgie's light turns on, especially since it's the only time that that happens in proximity to a symbol of Maturin.

X :neo:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Figured out the one I was missing after thinking about it for a while last night / this morning.

Bill gets woken up by water dripping on his face from a leak in the ceiling/roof over his bed. The rain is triggering his memory of the day when Georgie disappeared as he goes to get a bucket, which is what sets everything off with Pennywise having a phantom Georgie running through the house into the basement.

EDIT: Made a longer, more organized spoilery tl;dr on on the whole thing here: https://www.reddit.com/r/ItTheMovie/comments/70xwgv/what_causes_it_to_appear_spoilers/

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
I must have dreamt that I only responded to this, jaja. Anyway, I wanted to say that's super cool and interesting and gives me the incentive to watch the film a second time! Love little details like that! Kudos to you and that analysis! I'm going to link it to my brother (who's on reddit. lmao I had a stupid moment where I was trying to upvote your post but realised I had to be a member).

:okay: Oh, Georgie :okay:

:reptar:

Oh, and mother linked me to this article: IT star Bill Skarsgård describes the "disturbing" flashback scene that was cut from the film

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer

It was kind of a foregone conclusion. The only way they're going to get A list actors for a horror movie, even one this highly talked about, is through networking or if the actors express interest. Chastain was already highly connected to the director already through Mama.

It's laughable people are pulling for Amy Adams. New Line would never pay for her. Especially since It part II is extremely risky.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
I have a lot of concerns about how ITChapter II is going to make up for the lack of spirituality in the first movie, given it's the main reason they're able to triumph again in the later chapters as adults.

Also I just don't like Chastain, and her rep behind scenes is not always so good. She could be a threat to the comradre that's kinda needed for a film like this to work.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I think that there was some discussion a while back that the spirituality stuff was being covered in pseudo-flashbacks with the kids in the form of things that they've forgotten as adults after they left Derry.

I'm curious what you've seen her in where you didn't like her, or where you've heard behind the scenes stuff that was negative. The films I've seen her in are Mama, The Martian, Crimson Peak, Interstellar, & Huntsman Winter's War. The most important one of those films being Mama since that was essentially the director's only other film before making IT, and the two of them have a really good rapport with one another. It's also why her being in that role was almost certain as soon as a part 2 was confirmed.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
I've only seen her in Mama, and she came off very cold to me. Her general look just comes off as cold in any stills I see her in. So combine that with the behind-the-scenes skuttlebutt, and yeah, I'm really reluctant to look into her. If she gives the same kind of performance, she's really not worthy of a lynch-pin character like Beverly.

There hasn't been talks about what's being covered in the flash-backs as far as I know, and I've been keeping my ear very close to the ground on this movie.

I can 'kinda' see a potential way to do it where the ending of It Chapter I isn't the "Real" ending, and they actually pursue Pennywise to IT's true form...But that is a LOT to cram into what can only be a two hour movie at most. Unless they want to be super ambitious, and make this a three part movie.

Otherwise the climax of IT I still relies heavily on the more generic "We're not scared of you, so we'll beat the crap out of you" ending that I feel kinda mars an otherwise really great movie.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I hope they keep the Ritual of Chüd as far away from this adaptation as possible. At least for when they were still kids.

I personally found the only stain on the otherwise great confrontation between the kids and Pennywise at the end to be the awkward manner in which IT retreated.

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
Loved the book as an adolescent, of course loved Tim Curry's performance in the original TV-movie version, but mourned the fact that the only "It" adaptation WAS a TV-movie (in the era when TV-movies were still 'second-string', much lower budget, heavily censored etc), and was quite pleasantly surprised at the recent film version. It honestly exceeded my expectations--given the film's development hell, the rather challenging-to-adapt nature of the literary material in the first place, and the fact that their solution in part was to do the 'children' section as its own stand-alone film when the back and forth was so crucial to the novel, I was expecting a bungled mess that lacked any of the spirit of the source material. Instead, we got a tight, genuinely disturbing mix of horror/coming-of-age film, with performances that I hope come to be regarded as breakthroughs in long careers (obviously Wolfhard, but particularly Sophia Lillis as Beverly, who nails all the shades and subtleties of a difficult and load-bearing role). For the most part, they cut what they had to for time and clarity, and while it of course changes things, it feels like a successful solution to a puzzle. My mother was flipping channels tonight and stopped on the film momentarily, and I thought "I wonder if they'll follow through on the proposed sequel since part 1 turned out to have done the business". Now I see, not only has it been cast, but its in production!

2 Comments:
1. ChipNoir, while it's of course fine to have doubts about an actor/actress, or even to simply outright dislike them, your arm-folding 'she won't be able to do it, she wasn't good in this one thing, i'm not even considering the possibility' stance towards Chastain seems a little simplistic and more importantly like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Sort of like someone who insists they're not going to have fun on a certain trip as they get into the car, and then, what do you know...they don't.

2. This is more of my own doubts/concerns...as I mentioned above, the flipping back-and-forth between the childhood past and adult present is a key mechanism in both the novel and the original TV-movie. Isolating the childhood section worked quite well for part 1, I think in part because the coming of age model makes for good storytelling, as well as the fact that the characters were being newly introduced, so there was no 'this isn't the same actor!'-ness. I'm wondering if part 2 will encounter some difficulties here, as A. The adult story in isolation lacks the charm and 'progression' thrill of the childhood segment, and B. Now that the characters HAVE been established and tied to the young actors, I wonder if a segment of the audience will reject the adult incarnation as not similar enough to their counterparts. Things like Ben evolving into a slim, attractive, successful architect will now be a sudden 'surprise', rather than something we know right off as we flick back to his awkward childhood self.

I don't have any answers, these are just the things that are running through my head.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
IT-Chapter-Two-teaser-poster.jpg

Top Bottom