Voltron (Netflix Series)

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
So... has anyone else watched this? Because it's fucking excellent. If you have already seen it, there's a teaser for season 2 here that's got me really stoked.

X :neo:

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
qnewl9pmksaz.jpg

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Done watching season 3.
Overall my ranking of the seasons so far would be: S3>S2>S1

Will do a rewatch later tonight to have more flesh out thoughts about the season overall.

CrashOuch

she/her
AKA
Sara
HOW HAVE I ONLY JUST SEEN THIS THREAD?!?!?! I am completely and utterly in love with this series and have been since way back in season 1 and I follow everything to do with way too closely and some might call it obsession but I saw this trailer earlier and screamed a tiny bit but I'm so sad cos I'm gonna be on a trip when s6 hits so I won't be able to watch it until the Sunday at the earliest so I'll have to stay wayyy clear of Tumblr. But. Omg. I reallyyyy hope what Lance says means there has been some good juicy Kuron shit go down by that point! Also WHO is Keith on that dangerous mission with?!?! My guess is that it's Axca and that maybe, maybe she and Keith share some blood AND YAY KEITH COMES HOME.
I am so ready for this next season holy hell.

Just watched the 1-hour first episode of the Netflix series. Impressively fast-paced, cut-to-the-chase storytelling. There is something "innocent" and basic about the writing that makes me feel like I'm watching a show specifically aimed for kids and that'd be my biggest gripe from first impressions. I'm not sure if you need childhood nostalgia to enjoy Voltron wholeheartedly.

This Netflix series is my first real exposure to the animated world of Voltron. I knew of the toy(s) and that there are cartoons, but that's it. Ergo there is no hype and very few preconceived notions for me to base my impressions on. If there are neat modernizations of old characters happening in this Netflix show, then these are naturally flying over my head.

The second best part of it all was hearing FINN THE HUMAN outside of Adventure Time. Jeremy Shada brings a lot of his Adventure Time energy which is a great joy.

Overall I am impressed that the 1-hour episode was as good as it was, given how cheesy the whole package actually is. The show isn't afraid of its own cheesiness and that lack of shame definitely adds to its quality. However I am not sure whether to continue because I am left wondering if this show is really meant for a person like me who has no nostalgia for the franchise.

CrashOuch

she/her
AKA
Sara
If it helps, this series was the very very first time I'd ever heard of Voltron so I don't think that should hold you back at all. Also it gets pretty much progressively better after the first season if you can get through it. Personally, I say hang on in there and go for it cos it's pretty beautiful and they should be announcing the 7th season soon!

Oops I accidentally, like, watched all the episodes :wacky:

Sticking with it through season one was definitely worth it. From the very ending of season one up to the last episode of season six was a gradual build-up of excellence and emotional investment. I'm something of a wreck now :lol:

Thank you CrashOuch for your recommendation :properhug:

CrashOuch

she/her
AKA
Sara
EEEEE I AM ALSO SO HYPE!!!!

There are SO many articles I could post here from news that's come out of nearly the whole crew and cast being at SDCC but SO MANY SPOILERS so I won't. But they screened the first ep there and people are dead, just sayin'. :faint:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Did I mention that I binged this recently? Because I binged this recently. And it was GOOD.

So I just started watching the new season and HOLY SHIT an actual homosexual relationship! I am very pleased to see this. Still pining for that same-sex kiss to seal the deal and cement an acceptance for same-sex couples in cartoons intended for (more or less) all ages, same as I wish we had seen it in Legend of Korra. But odds are we won't see that for a very long time.

CrashOuch

she/her
AKA
Sara
IIIIIIII am ... really happy about the LGBTQ rep ... but also ... so disappointed? I'm not madly happy with where it goes and I wish they'd shown a bit more of something that wasn't so ambiguous.
There are actually two LGBTQ couples (Shiro+Adam and Ezor+Zethrid) but both are pretty far from being explicit (unlike, for example, Allura+Lotor) and could both be interpreted as platonic if it weren't for the producers confirming the romantic status of Shiro+Adam's relationship. Which is great. And they had to fight to get even that much in. But yeah. Something more explicit would be awesome, it's 2018 for fuck's sake.

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
I really wasn't sure what to expect from the Voltron reboot. So many reboots are awful (and Voltron has had it's fair share), but sometimes they're done well (2002's He-Man, 2011's ThunderCats). Voltron: Legendary Defender is done VERY well.

I started watching it just this past Saturday, and I've enjoyed it so much that I've now reached the recently released 7th season. I'm hopeful that they'll make some merchandise directed at the adult fans, since I'd love some accurate character figures. Not to mention additional soundtrack releases (only season 1 had an OST). Oh and when all is said and done, a blu-ray boxset.

Last edited:
Top Bottom