Sports discussion

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
along with the US

But I thought the Chicago Cubs were already the World Champions? Just like the Cleveland Cavaliers, the New England Patriots, the Pittsburgh Penguins...

fhqc.png

The NFL is the stupidest out of the bunch, are you world champions by default because no else in the world really cares about the sport?

I haven't been paying as much attention as I should to the WBC but Javy Báez celebrating while doing a no look tag is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.

Nanaki Skywalker

Kate Lord of the Sith
AKA
Tarkatan Trash
along with the US

But I thought the Chicago Cubs were already the World Champions? Just like the Cleveland Cavaliers, the New England Patriots, the Pittsburgh Penguins...

fhqc.png

The NFL is the stupidest out of the bunch, are you world champions by default because no else in the world really cares about the sport?

I haven't been paying as much attention as I should to the WBC but Javy Báez celebrating while doing a no look tag is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.
High School championships = State championships
NCAA championships = National championships
Professional championships = World championships

That's basically how it works.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Blargh. Can't imagine anyone except Scottish and Irish fans felt too good about today's rugby. Italy were crap, England were crap (except for about 10 minutes in the second half) and the way the France-Wales match ended was an absolute farce. Hopefully that will finally persuade World Rugby to do something about the scrum laws.

That was weird. Were Wales just too weak to stand up to the French scrum, or were they bringing it down on purpose? Surely the penalty try should have come sooner. Or am I misunderstanding?

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Women's Euro started a couple of days ago. England vs Scotland in about an hour I think.

Ghost X

The team I barrack for, the Adelaide Crows, is in the grand final of the AFL (which I don't think has happened in something like 20 years), after a brilliant performance in the preliminary final against Geelong. Unfortunately I'm housesitting, and tickets are probably too hard to get, and the game is in Melbourne... so that's a bit far away :awesome:. If they play as well as they did tonight, they'll probably win, which will be absolutely fantastic, of course :P.

Lex

Administrator
Scotland beat Slovakia in a world cup qualifier, so that's something.

I only know this because the manager from work I have a crush on is sending me drunken messages celebrating the victory. There are pictures of gin.

I follow no sports. I'll be leaving this thread now ~~~

Lex

Administrator
Annnnnnd they drew with Slovenia today, meaning they don't qualify for the play-offs and therefore the world cup :(

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
I for one am quite looking forward to seeing Wales utterly destroy Ireland's hopes for a holiday to Russia in 2018 tonight :monster:

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
I stand happily corrected :monster: Not happy about the dirty tactics the Irish lads were pullin' though, very unsporting

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Nope. :monster:

Damn all our countries, qualifying for the World Cup (or at least playoffs) and denying us the chance to be sardonic.

Mormz

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Dustin
I doubt most of you watch/care about baseball, but my home team just won their first game in the World Series which is huge cause they got swept the only other time they’ve even made it to the World Series. That shit pleases me.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
That was a crazy-ass game. They said that was the most extra-inning home runs ever?! Not just in the World Series, but ever!

Mormz

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Dustin
Damn, I heard about the World Series stat, didn’t know it was more than that though.
That game was an emotional roller coaster. Every time we’d get up the damn Dodgers would come back. I was worried we were gonna choke.

Ghost X

Australia into world cup now, and New Zealand just got knocked out. Photos showing Peru fans were shining lasers into NZ players' faces. Woo, permanent eye damage. Disgraceful.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Two hours until the toss in the opening Test of another Ashes series between England and Australia. I expect Australia to win the series fairly comfortably, perhaps 4-1, but I'm hoping for the opposite, or at least a close, exciting series. Both teams are fielding a number of inexperienced players but I think Australia will have the edge in their home conditions, particularly in the pace bowling department. It's become very difficult to win away series in cricket recently and I don't think England have the quality to buck the trend, especially without one of their best players.

You gonna be watching, Ghost? Or anyone else?

Ghost X

I'll be skimming news reports :monster:. Australian selectors got roasted by the media on their team picks, so I'm less confident of them winning, but I think I read somewhere that Pietersen wasn't liking England's chances, so I haven't a clue.

Nanaki Skywalker

Kate Lord of the Sith
AKA
Tarkatan Trash
Fuck you Joe Morgan! Seriously...

Suspected and confirmed steroid users have been on the Hall of Fame ballot since 2006, with Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens in particular having been eligible since 2013, and you're waiting until one year after Bonds and Clemens surpassed the 50% mark to basically order voters to blackball steroid users? I'm going to tear this apart piece by piece.

1) Morgan was teammates with Pete Rose, who is permanently banned from Baseball for committing the Cardinal Sin, betting on Baseball. Morgan has championed this man's Hall of Fame candidacy (and for the record, players on the Permanently Ineligible List are ineligible for the Hall of Fame for as long as they remain on that list), and has even attended Cincinnati Reds events during which Rose was honored. So how can you sit in confidence with a person who bet on Baseball while blackballing alleged and confirmed steroid users?

2) Morgan's era was full of players using amphetamines and cocaine. The players using such substances most certainly included Hall of Famers. In fact, just last year, Tim Raines was inducted despite having admitted to cocaine use during the Pittsburgh Drug Trials.

3) Wanna bring up that Character Clause? The fact that the Hall of Fame already has players, managers, owners, League Presidents, and Commissioners who, in addition to using Greenies and Blow, have also done things ranging from drinking during Prohibition and womanizing, to defending and upholding the Color Line, certainly shows how much that clause is really worth in practice. Charles Comiskey grossly underpaid his players (to the point nowhere he didn't even pay for uniform laundry) so badly (even by 1910s standards) that 8 of his players accepted bribes from a gambler with ties to the Mob to throw the 1919 World Series, and he's in the Hall. This made Comiskey the #1 enabler of the Black Sox Scandal. Kennesaw Mountain Landis, the very first Commissioner of Baseball, maintained the Color Line literally until his dying day, and then some. He was in office from 1920 until his death in 1944, and was inducted immediately after his death. Three years later, the Color Line was broken with the Major League debut of Jackie Robinson. Even players who have cheated in a lower tech fashion are in the Hall of Fame. For example, Gaylord Perry threw illegal spitballs throughout his career, and despite actually getting caught the year before he retired, he still got inducted.

4) In 1994, the players went on strike, and that strike cancelled the remainder of the season, including the postseason. This marked the first time since 1904 (a New York Giants boycott) that there was no World Series, and fans were so furious that many of them swore never to attend another game. Then the Steroid-induced Home Runs came, and the same fans who swore never to attend another game suddenly came back to the ballparks to see these Homers, and the 98 Home Run race between Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa dominated national headlines (spoiler alert: McGwire and Sosa were later linked to PED use). So you see, while steroids tainted the game and some of its records in the minds of some, one thing cannot be denied; Steroids actually saved Baseball from the 94 Strike by putting butts back into the seats that the Strike emptied. Does anyone really think that McGwire, Sosa, and Bonds would have put all those butts in seats without the Steroids? I highly doubt it.

5) Suspected users are already in the Hall, and so are enablers. Mike Piazza, Jeff Bagwell, and Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez have been rumored to have done steroids, and the only shred of evidence against ANY of them is against Pudge, and it was the testimony of none other than Jose Canseco (who has established a track record of being right about certain players he has alleged to have done steroids, including himself). All 3 players have been inducted in the last 2 years. Furthermore, no person in Baseball has benefited from the Steroid Era more than the Commissioner of Baseball during that era, Bud Selig. He got in the Hall of Fame just this past year.

I think I rest my case on this one.

Last edited:

Nanaki Skywalker

Kate Lord of the Sith
AKA
Tarkatan Trash
Last edited:
Top Bottom