• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

General TV thread

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
Oh yeah, it's not particularly heavy on plot :monster: It's an enjoyable switch off kind of show, with 90's nostalgia thrown in. But in terms of plot it's like passable fluffy fanfic :monster:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
I've got back into Gotham, currently watching the last few episodes of season 3. I feel like the show is getting better and better with each episode, fleshing out all the iconic characters we've come to know in the Batman universe.

Lex

Administrator
I don't care about Batman so from what I've heard about the show that means I'll probably like it? When it comes to comic characters I've never really cared about continuity. Some people swear by Gotham, but the people who seem to be "Batman Fans" absolutely loathe it.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
idk, the third season is my favourite so far. The stakes were raised, some interesting character development went on and
Bruce is finally on his way to becoming Batman, though it's of course only a slow burn. He's only 15.

Moved onto End of the F****** World. Brilliant black comedy, can't get enough of it. :awesome:

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
I don't care about Batman so from what I've heard about the show that means I'll probably like it? When it comes to comic characters I've never really cared about continuity. Some people swear by Gotham, but the people who seem to be "Batman Fans" absolutely loathe it.

Yeah as a Batman fan I despise this show, I found it stupid and insulting to its source. There's loads of bad acting in it and the series didn't know the meaning of subtlety at all, example Edward Nygma with his question sign mug. Occasionally the show could do cheesy popcorn entertainment well though.

CrashOuch

she/her
AKA
Sara
Moved onto End of the F****** World. Brilliant black comedy, can't get enough of it. :awesome:
Yeah I really liked End of the Fucking World. Also when you get to the bus station scene/cafe scene, that was filmed in my local bus station where I spend all my time and also one of my bus driver friends accidentally walks right across the shot at one point looking super confused <3

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Yeah I really liked End of the Fucking World. Also when you get to the bus station scene/cafe scene, that was filmed in my local bus station where I spend all my time and also one of my bus driver friends accidentally walks right across the shot at one point looking super confused <3
Ha, no way! Now I'm going to have to find that shot.

Lex

Administrator
Watching Salvation, a sci-fi thriller/ drama.

It's entertaining enough. Some of it is a bit stupid, mainly character motivations and such, there are a couple of eye-rolling dramatic leaps that don't make sense.

However as a suspense-thriller it works quite well plot wise. An asteroid is on a collision course with earth and an Elon Musk-like character is the only one with the scientific power to put plans in motion to stop it - with an "Ark" style backup if the plan doesn't work. So it's at least thought-provoking if you can't stomach the weird character moments.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I tried to watch that, but it was just idk, too cringy? It didn't catch on. My dad loves it though, I guess suspension of disbelief is stronger in him? Dunno.

Meanwhile I've (finally) started watching Black Flag, it looked pretty naff from the description (like idk, cheap TV ripoff of Pirates of the Carribean), BUT it's actually a pretty good TV show, good storyline, characters, etc. Does have a bit of (forced?) gratuitous secks and shit though, dunno how much that adds to the story itself.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Woop, finished the thing; they get rid of most of the n00dz and shit by season two and the series matures quite a bit (much like GoT did in that regard). The story muddles a bit by season 3 and/or 4, but they manage to finish it up pretty good by the end.

Also watch it for the performances of the various relatively unknown actors; I've browsed imdb but besides the main captain playing the bad guy in Die Another Day, it's pretty much an unknown cast. Oh and one of the main characters plays Dickon in GoT, :monster:.

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
Any love for Z-Nation here? I'm coming to the end of season 2 and I love it. It's like The Walking Dead meets Xena: Warrior Princess for a tongue in cheek take on the zombie genre. The characters are great, the story is both serious and silly and there's lots of nods to pop culture and zombie lore and movies.

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
Finished season 2 and I need to profess my fandom with a change of username and profile pic. <3

CrashOuch

she/her
AKA
Sara
I watched the other one approximately a thousand years ago but I definitely prefer Brotherhood so far <3

wander

‪‫‬‭ ‮
Twin Peaks was pretty cool, I might rewatch it while I wait for Star Trek Discovery and Stranger Things to return. Been about 10 years since I last rewatched it... I still need to watch the new Twin Peaks material. I was putting it off because I was afraid it would be atrocious, but if Slowdive can come back after 20 years and make one of their best albums, perhaps Lynch and Twin Peaks can do it too.

I'm watching the new Lost in Space at the moment, which is... okay.

I mean, I love the vibe of the thing — and I love Parker Posey as Dr. Smith, she's ace.

But... I'm rooting for her, and I shouldn't be... I mean I don't think the creators of the show would want that. Granted, I'd probably be rooting for her regardless, but I should at least have some lingering respect or something other than apathy or indifference toward the protagonists. But the protagonists are, without exception, annoying and/or too thick to live.

The dad is just a classic moron, the mom is an infuriatingly bitchy and crazy moron, the kids are each about as irritating as they could possibly be (and that's a big playing field because children are nearly always annoying) and the robot doesn't speak. That leaves a group of random survivors who are pretty much all arseholes too, with the exception of the mechanic-cum-smuggler... who is also a bit dense (so far).

That leaves Dr. Smith, who isn't actually Dr. Smith, she's just a psychopath (and honestly I can more readily identify with her on that basis than I can with the others), though she's obviously a bit crazy as well, in that she goes out of her way to fuck shit up for others, but I suppose it's all misdirection to keep herself out of the spotlight so she can do what she wants.

That's the only trouble with her though, she doesn't seem to want anything but chaos. Which is, you know, okay I guess, it just lacks depth — and by depth, I don't mean that she needs a traumatic sob story to explain her psychopathy, absolutely not. I just mean that she, as a conscious individual, could have had some grander purpose, a dream, a project, an endgame. Maybe she does, I'm not finished with the series yet, but it seems to me like she's just an unhinged punk.

The show itself is basically like LOST — remember that TV show on the island? It's very similar, it has the whole flashback thing going on, and the dysfunctional-family-born-again-in-a-new-world thing going on too. It's especially like LOST now that there are other survivors. This means it could get much better (like season 2 of LOST) or much shittier (like season 4+ of LOST) depending on the quality of the writing and on whether the writers know, concretely, where they're going.

I hope they do, it's not exactly 7/10 material already, it needs to end well.

It may seem like I'm being harsh, Lost in Space has a lot of tough acts to follow, but try it yourselves. I'll be surprised if you aren't bored after three episodes of not much happening; and if you aren't irritated by, or if you like, the protagonists, you probably aren't someone I'd invite to dinner.

Last edited:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
LOST was actually pretty good and compelling in the first season though, :monster:. Lost in Space? Facepalmy as fuck. I mean I get it, and I'm sure there's an audience for it, but ehhhhh it's just not that great.

wander

‪‫‬‭ ‮
I really, really liked LOST for the first two seasons. Even season three was okay — a bit of a let down, but they could still have saved it. Alas...

Hey, I'm stuck dude. Just finished Better Call Saul which was really good, Fate/Apocrypha which was dank, B: The Beginning which was bearable. Now I'm down to rewatching Arrested Development and checking out random Netflix originals in the vane hope of finding something good.

Twin Peaks was pretty cool, I might rewatch it while I wait for Star Trek Discovery and Stranger Things to return. Been about 10 years since I last rewatched it... I still need to watch the new Twin Peaks material. I was putting it off because I was afraid it would be atrocious, but if Slowdive can come back after 20 years and make one of their best albums, perhaps Lynch and Twin Peaks can do it too.

You should get on that. :monster: How do you feel about Fire Walk With Me/The Missing Pieces? The Return is closer in tone to those than the first two seasons. I really liked it (though it did take a bit to click for me at the beginning, and there are a few things in it that I could've done without). It's definitely not a nostalgia cash-in; at the very least it's worth checking out because there's no other show quite like it, IMO.

wander

‪‫‬‭ ‮
If it's not a nostalgia cash-in, I'm stoked. If you say there are things you could've done without, I'm immediately expecting trash. BUT, I shall give it a whirl.

Top Bottom