Disney's The BFG

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
You should've seen the cartoon, that traumatized me for life :monster:

Although this one has worms in the snoskommers. Not sure if any better. Smeerlijk en walgzaam

I really loved it. I lovedt the giant, and could listen to him talk all day. He also has this weight of sadness on him, heaped on him from the world, but he clings to those small bits of happiness which make them all the more special, and does what he can to spread that happiness.

I love it. Though there's some parts where it slows down a bit, and you think "where is this going?", but ultimately I didn't care.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Revive! It popped up on netflix recently so I just gave it a watch.

First off, the cartoon is worse :awesome:. Seriously that shit gives you nightmares, with the other giants being seriously nightmare fuel (while in this one they're more like comic relief).

Something in this movie just really felt off in the second half or so, like idk; music didn't match? Scenes were prolonged and felt like a huge awkward silence kinda thing? (like
the breakfast with the queen scene, it felt like it didn't belong or... summat. Mind you on its own it was a funny scene and shit, but, it felt awkward as fuck in a way
)

So yeah, IDK. I dig the giant himself and watching that movie probably gave me a speech impediment, but ehhh. Maybe I need to be six again to re-evaluate it though.

Every time this thread pops up I read it as "Disney's The Big Fucking Gun"

Doombfg.png

Come on Disney. You know you want to make that Doom movie.

so now whenever I think about BFG, I think about BFGs wielding, well, BFGs. :monster:
Glad to see I'm not alone!

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Revive! It popped up on netflix recently so I just gave it a watch.

First off, the cartoon is worse :awesome:. Seriously that shit gives you nightmares, with the other giants being seriously nightmare fuel (while in this one they're more like comic relief).

Something in this movie just really felt off in the second half or so, like idk; music didn't match? Scenes were prolonged and felt like a huge awkward silence kinda thing? (like
the breakfast with the queen scene, it felt like it didn't belong or... summat. Mind you on its own it was a funny scene and shit, but, it felt awkward as fuck in a way
)

So yeah, IDK. I dig the giant himself and watching that movie probably gave me a speech impediment, but ehhh. Maybe I need to be six again to re-evaluate it though.

The animated version of the BFG was the first one I've seen many years ago on VHS for hire, and yeah I admit that was more like a nightmare story with a strange but happy ending. But then again, back in the 80's, animators and story writers were still going along the seriousness like when movies started out in the 1930's, if not longer.

Gosh, in the 1940's, Disney had allowed characters to smoke(Pinocchio, Linebrick(or however you spell his name) and even Donald Duck for example) until they stopped doing that due to health concerns in real life years later.

Then again, the animated version of this movie was not done by Disney, and if you think this version was bad, the book which both films are based on is actually worse. I've read it, and it's terrible, and the pictures in it are twice as bad. Though on the other hand, there are many plot-holes that the Live Action Disney version hasn't followed with both the book and the animated version.

Like when Sophie was first brought to the Land of Giants by the BFG, she was gobbled up into the Meat-(and VERY ugly)Eating Giant in that disgusting vegatable she was hiding in before being spat out in both previous versions, while in the Live Action version, that scene never happened

But I do agree with you on the animated version being bad now that I think about it. Not one of my favorites, even in my childhood.

Top Bottom