Dragon Ball Super: Broly Movie - Dec 2018 (JP) Jan 2019 (US)

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
A new Dragon Ball movie was announced at 2017 Jump Festa due to be out in December 2018. "The strongest warrior race in the universe, the Saiyans".

The story will revolve around the origin of the Saiyans and will feature a lot of Saiyans characters. Once again, Toriyama will be doing the script and character designs.

Official Dragon Ball movie website.
USA Toei's official announcement.

Toei Animation said:
20TH DRAGON BALL FEATURE IN PRODUCTION!
Dragon Ball’s 20th feature film has been revealed! Today, news of the film was announced at Jump Festa 2018 in Japan. The film is currently in production, which will serve as a commemoration for decades of legendary titles. Since 1986, the series has introduced many memorable and beloved characters to countless die-hard fans. The recent years have witnessed a new wave of renaissance for the Dragon Ball series. “Dragon Ball Z: Battle of the Gods”, released in 2013, was a welcomed return to the big screen for the first time in 17 years. “Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F” followed that up with more success in 2015. From then on, Dragon Ball has continued to further expand their world; leading to the current acclaimed broadcast, “Dragon Ball Super”.

The team behind the new film will be making intensive efforts to ensure that the scale and the quality is the best of the series. Akira Toriyama, the original author of Dragon Ball, will lead the original story, screenplay, and character design.

The theme for this remarkable new film will be “Saiyan”, the strongest race in the universe. Since “Battle of the Gods”, Goku has undergone new forms from Super Saiyan God to Super Saiyan Blue to other evolved forms that have gone up against many invincible warriors from multiple universes. This new story will focus on the origin of the Saiyans’ strength and what it means to be Saiyan.

The 20th Dragon Ball film is currently targeted to be released in Japan in December 2018. Keep an eye out for more news in the near future!

db_20th_movie_announcement.jpg

Staff Members:

Original Author, Script, & Character Design: Akira Toriyama
Director: Tatsuya Nagamine
Animation Supervisor: Naohiro Shintani
Art Director: Kazuo Ogura

Release Date: December 14th, 2018

Last edited:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I didn't like the last incarnation (18th?), but then, I never did watch any other of the movies. What they need to do is make it a fitting story, something that doesn't get expanded upon in 20+ episodes in the series. and shit.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2018/03/1...y-staff-visual-release-date-toriyama-comment/

Movie releases on December 14th.

dbmovie2018_goku.jpg

Original Author, Script, & Character Design: Akira Toriyama
Director: Tatsuya Nagamine
Animation Supervisor: Naohiro Shintani
Art Director: Kazuo Ogura

New comment from Akira Toriyama:

The Dragon Ball Super movie this time will be the next story in the series currently airing on TV. It will be an episode after catching our breath from the climax of the Tournament of Power with the universe’s existence on the line; with content that will give a little better understanding about Freeza and the Saiyans, which I hadn’t properly depicted up till now; and leading to a mighty foe saved for the occasion, which I think has it shaping up to be a really enjoyable story.

As with 2013’s Battle of Gods and the last outing Resurrection ‘F’, I’ve written the story myself, and I’ve had the privilege of drawing lots of design illustrations as well.
The fact is, while I’m just as busy as ever, as long as I’m not doing a serial, I have plenty of free time to think about the animated version, which I was completely hands-off about before.
(laughs) So please look forward to it!

Now then, the animated version on TV will be ending for the time being, but the very popular Dragon Ball Super comic drawn by Toyotaro (on sale now up through volume 5!) will keep on going as-is. I think there will also be story developments different from the TV show and the movie, so please look forward to that as well. I will be, too!

–Akira Toriyama

-------------------------

By far the announcement of the new young animators leading this feature was the most hype news.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Normally I'd be damn pissed to see such a lame character being brought back in, but Toriyama's comments about rearranging the character gives me hope that we might get a version of Broly who keeps just the visual design, which is admittedly quite good, without the loud angry man child characteristics that plagued him back in the day.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
We've got some new figures and images that give us a look at Broly's new design. Images are a tad large, so fair warning to you.

Gotta say, I actually really like the new design. It maintains the classic elements of Broly's design, but is different enough to separate this new Broly from the old.

DiL4qrlV4AAvWwH.jpg

DiL4qrkVAAAGK9k.jpg

DiMDqYOVMAI5GAA.jpg

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Adding to the above post, here is a video analyzing the new design in depth. Also, we are apparently getting a trailer for this thing tomorrow, which is very exciting if you ask me. Anyway, video.

Ghost X

What was that babby saijin with the tail at the end all about :closedmonster:. Does that mean we're getting some super weregorilla blue action? :p

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
First things first, loved the trailer. The new art style is great, feeling highly reminiscent of classic db and dbz, specifically the saiyan and namek arcs. In addition, the animation looks downright stellar, to the point where these 90 seconds might represent the best looking footage in the history of the franchise. I was nervous about the idea of rebooting Broly, but this trailer has completely sold me on the idea and I am excited.

That being said, time for a bit of speculation.

So, does anyone else get the impression that Broly and Peragus might start off working for Freeza? Between Freeza seeming to comment on Broly's power with enthusiasm, and the fact that we see Broly emerging from Freeza's ship to confront Goku and Vegeta, I feel like Broly is going to serve as Freeza's secret weapon. At least until he goes all rage mode and flies out of control, which will no doubt lead to Freeza either teaming up with our heroes again, or dying horribly at Broly's hands. Either way is fine with me.

Also I've seen lots of people speculating that Broly will not be presented as a legendary super saiyan so much as a result of genetic experimentation, possibly at the hands of Peragus, which would be kind of a neat new twist, effectively combining Broly's classical characteristics with a Sephiroth style backstory, which I think will be really cool if they do take the story that way.

I'm also curious to see how Broly will fall. The natural assumption is that when Goku is on the absolute brink of defeat Ultra Instinct will emerge once again thus allowing Goku to snag victory from the jaws of defeat. It'd be a bit predictable, but would also make sense.

On the other hand we might, and I really want to emphasise the word "might" here, get to see Gogeta. Here me out. We know that as part of the build up to this movie, three other DBZ movies will also be playing in theaters. The first is the original Broly movie, which makes a lot of sense all things considered. The second is the old Bardock special, which feels appropriate given that this movie is also supposed to delve into the history of the saiyan race. Furthermore, some folks have noted that the scene in the trailer where you see a baby's hand pressing against the inside of a pod is almost certainly a scene from Dragonball minus, a one shot story Toriyama wrote about Bardock. As a side note, minus is also the first time we get to meet Goku's mother, Gine, so there's a slim chance we might get to see her in this movie as well. Then there's the final movie, Fusion Reborn, where Gogeta first appears.

Could just be a coincidence, but it'd be one interesting coincidence. Anyway, thats all from me for now. Can't wait to see how this thing plays out.

EDIT: The following image is easily one of my favorites in all of dragonball. It is positively dripping with atmosphere and menace.

featured-dbs-movie-trailer-460x259.jpg

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
That's super cool! Especially after seeing how glorious everything in Dragonball FighterZ looks, and them mentioning that specifically, I'm totally on board with them going this route with it. Also, it sounds like they're really pushing the battles into a totally crazy place, which will hopefully make for some just ridiculously cool stuff bringing it into proper canon for Super.

On a related note: there was a little event to see the original Dragon Ball Z: Broly – The Legendary Super Saiyan in theaters this weekend. It was a bunch of fun to just go check that out and speculate about how the new movie is gonna be bigger and better. I'm really looking forward to the gorgeous 2D animation that they've shown off in the trailers, and now knowing that they're gonna do some crazy CGI stuff that also involves multiple different stages/transformations of the characters has me even more pumped up!

X :neo:

Top Bottom