Mowgli (the other Jungle Book film)

Ghost X

As Cthulhu describes, it wouldn't surprise me if there was a bit of Jungle Book fatigue, which is naturally unfortunate if such films are good. Plenty of stories out there that have never been converted to film. Should pick one of those instead :monster:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Ehhh... The Jungle Book does get pretty dark is some places?

You've pretty much got animals buying people's lives with food, murder via stampede (pre-meditated at that), kidnapping, etc. Oh, and there's the Blue and Orange Morality of all the animals, which is what the majority of the cast is. And the ending is only happy from a very odd perspective.

IDK, I never really liked Disney's The Jungle Book since I had read the actual book at such a young age. They're only alike in very, very broad strokes. It might as well be titled something completely different.

Saying that an attempt to be closer to the book means that it will be darker then how people are used to seeing the story portrayed doesn't mean much.

Also... a good 1/3 of The Jungle Book isn't about Mowgli. And there's actually a sequal to it called The Jungle Book II that Kippling wrote. I can see why they would rename it.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
The animation is worse than Disney but it's got bigger stars attached, which is interesting. We'll see where this goes.

It's not that I dont think the story can't/shouldn't be dark, it just feels very juvenile to flat out say in words that its super dark. Especially as one of the very first things in the trailer.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Also... a good 1/3 of The Jungle Book isn't about Mowgli. And there's actually a sequal to it called The Jungle Book II that Kippling wrote. I can see why they would rename it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_the_Mowgli_Stories

The Mowgli stories did get separately collected all together though. So if one wishes to just read those, it is readily available to read (and even includes the first Mowgli story Kipling wrote (though its the last one chronologically in the narrative).

It's not that I dont think the story can't/shouldn't be dark, it just feels very juvenile to flat out say in words that its super dark. Especially as one of the very first things in the trailer.

Yeah, that's probably more due to the marketing team (perhaps misguidedly) trying to distinguish this film from the Disney versions in the public consciousness (which is also probably why they changed the film title to Mowgli from the previous Jungle Book: Origins), rather than the creative team's fault.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Iiiinteresting. It feels like this is Netflix testing the waters to do mini-theatrical releases of some of their content, which might be really neat! Between this and the way that they released Annihilation everywhere but NA, it seems like they're getting into more of a position to do that, which hopefully also means attracting more and more creators as well.

X :neo:

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
Well they kinda did this with the Cloverfield Paradox or whatever, right? Hype hype hype hype.. DROP.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
No, the Cloverfield Paradox never had ANY theatrical release, but was originally slated for one. This looks to be getting one as well as a Netflix release.

X :neo:

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
Oh yeah no sorry I misunderstood you then, I thought you meant maybe Netflix is trying to gear up for big releases LIKE theatrical drops. :facepalm:

Top Bottom