X's Waifu Plays FFVII... for the first time.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
So, my girlfriend & I are continually working on becoming more informed on each other's interests, since we know that we have a shared mutual taste with somewhat different exposure: (We've watched through Godzilla & Ghost in the Shell together in preparation for those films since I knew them but she didn't, and she's gotten me (back) into Pokémon and Avatar the Last Airbender).

So, as I played through FFXV (which is basically like a Final Fantasy Greatest Hits album), my girlfriend got properly intrigued and either watched me (at home or on stream) go through the whole game. What with the Remake being a thing that's gradually approaching I got her started in on the FFVII OG on our PS4...

...and she had somehow managed to go through life never encountering any information about the game, like the Darth-Vader-is-Luke's-Father-level spoiler of Aerith's fate. I'd never talked about those bits of the game in any detail, but now that she'd started, we basically went through the game full speed in our spare time so that I could make sure she'd get past spoiler territory if she wanted to do things like look up pictures of Chocobos & such (which she absolutely ADORES).

She's finally made it through to the second disc, so I'm finally ready to chat about it since the big spoilers about Aerith have hit, and Cloud's got his personality sorted out, so there ARE still things in the game, but the big stuff's out of the way.

So yeah!

Basically, I just wanted to make this poast as a central location for just gushing about how cool it is that she's getting the full 1997 going-in-blind FFVII experience, and I also figured that I'd have it so that anyone curious can ask questions about what she's thought about X/Y/Z while going through the game, and I'll get feedback from her & reply here.

:awesomonster:

X :neo:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Aerith was in her party at every available moment, along with Nanaki. Since Temple of the Ancients she's had Vincent in her party, since she's way into the whole dark sciences of Shinra stuff. We've only really had any time interacting with Tifa helping her escape Junon and sorting out Cloud's brain, but she absolutely ADORES Aerith to bits.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
You and your girlfriend are seriously the most adorable people in the world. #relationshipgoals

RedFFWolf

Donator
Aerith was in her party at every available moment, along with Nanaki.

She's evidently a most excellent person.

X, you stay by her side through thick and thin, weather all storms, and slay every smelly Weapon in her name. You tell her you'd take a Masamune through the back for her (otherwise known as "an Aerith" - tell her you would take an Aerith for her), and other FFVII-themed romances (brighter than Meteor, LOVELESS quotes fall short, white materia similarities, and gold chocobo giveaways - there's something somewhere there that will work for a lovely couple like you two).

Now, if she abandons Nanaki, do what you want then :awesomonster: but since no one in their right mind would do that after taking him on board like that, your relationship will last forever ❤

(Anyway, back to normal voice here, that's very cool what's going on :)
I tried to get my mother to play a FF game - we got a little bit through FFX but then we have genuinely been unable to find the time since, pity).
(And no offence intended to Aerith fans - I honestly hate myself for those kind of jokes 'cause I know I'd be sad about Nanaki ones :lol:)

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Still playing. We ran into a glitch where our recently S-Class Black Chocobo suddenly now runs in slow motion all the time (as if it were a normal Chocobo in the under water section of the long track), and it's basically impossible to win with him even R1+R2 and Sprinting the max possible amount. We're hoping that the same thing doesn't suddenly happen to the Gold Chocobo that we just got.

On that note, I've noticed a BUNCH of minor glitches in the HD PS4 version: Aeris' first Limit Break doesn't have the little orb that she forms between her hands, Vincent's Galian Beast & Hellmasker forms' victory animations play once and freeze rather than looping, etc.

I've been helping her out with the grinding and such, and got EXACTLY enough for Omnislash, W-Summon, & Pre-Emptive materia from Battle Square, and also have all of the available Enemy Skills on at least one of the four materia for her right now, since I've wanted to totally fill one of those out, but never got 'round to it before. Other than that, we went through Wutai (and got Trine from Godo) and sealed off the rest of the side quests that involve Gold Chocobos (HP<<>>MP, Knights of the Round, Ancient Forest, etc), and are just about to start the Underwater Reactor bit.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
lol, well I see she won't be struggling at all through the rest of the story battles :P

She's already been slaughtering her way through the game pretty well, but for things I know could potentially suck, I'll preemptively set up some good combinations or accessories for her. (Water Absorb Accessory on Cloud for the Jenova Life Battle, & I'll be setting up the Cover + Counter + 4x Cut + Ribbon combo for the Hojo battle &#8211; Existing OP Materia notwithstanding).

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
^Ooh I get really, what's the word, protective of my saves in games, as in, I can't stand it if someone else levels up or equips my characters :awesome: Even if it's a game I know nothing about. Though it likely happened when I was playing games as a child. Oh and starting up another's save because you lost yours, and then it feels alien because they have different levels and equipment and aaaaaaagshdjf

Okay that was random, carry on, glad to see her progressing through the game! :D

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Before starting the game, she was pretty open on feeling VERY unconfident in her skills at RPGs and being really timid about attempting it on her own at all. Since then, she's really gotten into it all, but (like many things) it's a bit of a group thing since we always play when we're both together. It's also a bit exacerbated that we work off hours from each other (I work 10-6, and she works 3-11) and that means that all of the grinding and such bleeds out of time when we get to go through the story together, and since she knows that I know ALL THE THINGS FFVII in terms of just kicking through it, and I can also check the internet without spoiling anything for myself, she is actually really appreciative of me doing those sorts of things, since I do a lot of repetitive grinding and things when I get home and she's at work. xD

We did similar things when we played FFXV together (It really was for Fans & First-Timers), so that any time I was doing any story stuff, I'd stream, so that she could watch it, or see the exact stuff that'd happened when I'm at work and she'd re-watch the stream.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Status: Last night, we went Underwater Reactor to end of game completed. Advent Children Complete viewed.

Warning, the following thoughts have not been censored for any "cute as fuckness" so it is highly advised that other admins may wish to ignore this post entirely, pl0x fgj.

As soon as she went into the underwater reactor you walk along a platform, in time with a crane apparatus arm thing that goes through the wall, she said, "Where are you going, hook?" that eventually plucks the Huge Materia from the reactors and deposits it into the Submarine, and for whatever reason it was HILARIOUS at the time, especially because several screens later she DID get the answer of where it was going.

Lots of general shenanigans of every MP and their mom stopping you saying things like, "So you ARE here for the Huge Materia!!" After we've fought through several others immediately in front of them. The Sub game was difficult and frustrating, but achieved. The closest to a game over was exploring the Gelnika and Confusing a party member resulting in two KOs. After that it was a pretty straight shot to Rocket town, and using Hades on Rude (much humor about how they always run at the end of battle and we FINALLY KO one of them).

Rocket stuff went off well and as soon as Meteor didn't blow to bits and sort of electrically reformed she was bursting with theories about it being another Jenova Meteor because it was capable of regeneration and the Black Materia being responsible for Jenova. I had her go back to Midgar to see the Aerith Church Ghost (which is a lot less creepy than it is confusing in this HD version. A lot of effects don't translate all that well). and Bugenhagen's trip to the Forgotten City was fun (I went and got the Key from that Underwater Cave for her, because who the hell wants to wander around in the ocean depths unknowingly with Emerald Weapon fucking about) and she got all excited about learning about Holy and what Aerith had done. She was way stoked about fighting Diamond Weapon as it marched towards Midgar & really excited for seeing what the FMV was like, since she'd watched Kingsglaive with me and has an idea of what the overall design and method of destruction is (shoulder cannons).

She strongly disapproved of the idea of putting the Sister Ray at Midgar, because it just seemed like a terrible idea with all that energy. Wandering through Midgar was a good time, and she explicitly saved the Turks because she didn't feel like Elena deserved to go down with Reno and Rude for their shenanigans even if they'd become a bit less of a pain-in-the-ass since the whole bit in Wutai. Heideggar and Scarlett went down in Proud Clod to KotR. I had her swap in Barret to grab his Final Limit from the stairs, and then re-formed her preferred team with Vincent for the "Shinra Experiments Squad" to take on captain jackass himself – Hojo. She dropped some summons on his first form, just chopped his grotesque form to bits, and KotR'd his final form.

The Highwind scene with everyone leaving and coming back was really interesting (Found it a bit humorous that Tifa gets all embarrassed thinking that everyone might've seen her and Cloud together). The Yuffie bit was especially amusing.

She took a little break before the North Crater, and I just grabbed Vincent's Ultimate Weapon/Limit, she went to visit Bugenhagen for Red's, and then I went obnoxiously flying around to deal with Ultimate Weapon for Cloud so she'd have her stuff for the final confrontation. Wandered down MOSTLY ok, chose the Right Path in the Crater to avoid all the nonsense and extra stuff and just get to the boss, made a Save Point before the end. Rocked her way down and just straight out Murdered Jenova Synthesis – No summons required. Had to split two parties for Bizarro Sephiroth, so she KotR'd it to avoid party swapping at my recommendation. When Seraph Sephiroth showed up she did comment about how Jenova Synthesis and her cells in General between Hojo & Sephiroth made for some really interesting transformations. Suitably impressed by Supernova, and a well-deserved, "Oh god damnit, Cloud" when he starts having a freak out after the final battle before the FINAL final battle Omnislash Demo against vanilla Sephiroth. She really liked the ending and the ambiguity and was really happy that she got to see both Aerith AND Nanaki at the end of the game (her favourite characters).

Then, I sort of sprung Advent Children Complete on her, since I didn't tell her that it existed before (I am somehow amazing at not revealing what these things are despite me having an overwhelming amount of stuff in our apartment from it). She had lots of worry about the fate of Elena, since she had gone out of her way to specifically make sure she was ok in the game just about an hour or so earlier. It solidified her love of Reno & Rude, and she REALLY liked Tifa's badassery & Barret's & transformable arm design. Vincent's cloak and stuff really impressed her and she liked hearing all his descriptions and stuff. She instantly got on to the whole Geostigma = something Jenova-ish at the very start and. She was surprised by Red's voice being soft (she subconsciously imagined him to be like a Khajiit, because Skyrim love). She really liked Kadaj's transformation into Sephiroth.

She really liked the fighting and combat, and commented how she expects the Remake will be a lot more like that in terms of the overal dynamics and it'll be more like FFXV, but Cloud get to be a badass even without teleporting swords because he has friends (the throwing him higher and higher to reach Bahamut SIN scene). Although on that note, she DID point out that Cloud's final limit break is basically a pre-Noctis, Noctis limit break with the glowing blue swords surrounding him in a circle and blue warp striking and everything that I totally was kinda surprised by rewatching ACC for the first time in like... 5 years.

Also, she hopes that you get to actually play through the ACC Content in the Remake.

Now, she's got a playthrough of Crisis Core she's gonna go through because it has more Aerith & Zack backstory and she wants ALL THE THINGS with them, and especially because ACC made her really glad that even though she died, Aerith is still around somehow, helping out people passing on in the Promised Land and Zack's backstory had a little bit extra in ACC as well. Also, I let her know about all our audiobook stuff because she wants to know more about what happened between the ambiguous ending in the OG and the setup in ACC.

So yes. Mission Accomplished. If you have questions about any specific stuff, I will still totally ask and communicate thoughts and stuff and things.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Contemplating it if there's just some free time. It's less of a priority now that we made it through the story, and have been catching up on other shows and games, especially since the story was the priority/motivation.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
18238065_1519754251402114_3498748197573952141_o.jpg

Minor update: She ordered a chocobo off of etsy and loves it to bits.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Slightly different update: She's just joined the forum and can see and comment on this thread in her own taim nao, FGJ in case anyone has other questions to ask about playthrough and whatnot, on the near-year anniversary of doing so.

Top Bottom