• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

To all Crisis Core fans, one flaw with Zack's death

How can he make a speech.. when he got machine gunned in the head? Ever seen someone do that?, what about his face, imagine how that would look like?

That emotional scene when Zack talks to Cloud before he dies. But speaking of the canon stuff in PS1 version, i find it hard to believe.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
In Crisis Core (and when it comes to FFVII, the most recent iteration of a story is considered Canon) Zack's face isn't shot, as you can see in the CG cutscene. It seems like it is, because moments before, an MP aims his gun at the camera (which is bobbing slightly to imply a 1st person POV) but in the scene following, there is no such wound. So either Square-Enix didn't respect their audience enough to keep their story consistent (impossible) or that last shot missed, and Zack just happened to briefly pass out at that exact moment, waking moments later to push through one last conversation.

Or (and I like this explanation best) the entire final CG scene is Zack's dying brain drifting into fantasy, and none of it actually happens. As Cloud silently grabs the sword from Zack's limp arms, his fading nerves register it, and while he can no longer move and his senses are fading, he relinquishes control over his life by telling himself a story of passing on his "legacy" which gives him comfort enough to imagine a J-Pop song and have a flying dream before sweet Oblivion takes him.

It's kind of ironic that in that moment, both men create false realities to hide from their trauma. Cloud's trauma of failure and loss, and Zack's trauma of his own death. Thematically, it's consistent with the OG, even if the imagery isn't.

Of course... there is the possibility that the folks at Square-Enix take that ending scene literally.... But it's not the last time we'll see that scene. Time will tell.

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
^This is super off-topic (apologies) and I don't say this to stroke my own ego, but MAN does that pensive avatar suit you, especially next to a text of analysis! :awesome:

More on topic, I saw it was a minor inconsistency that I always forgave because we never actually saw the bullet enter any part of his face and so you can draw up your own conclusions as to why that bullet didn't land as is aforementioned in Mr. Ite's post. Also forgave it because I think they really needed that scene, ha.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
His hair concealed the head wounds. :monster:

Being more serious, though, perhaps the rounds' impact still caused internal damage even if the bullets didn't pierce his skull.

There are few things in life I enjoy more than a really detailed conversation aiming to reconcile and make sense of one or more of FFVII's inconsistencies.

hleV

Pro Adventurer
Zack can only survive so many flesh wounds, apparently.
His hair concealed the head wounds. :monster:

Being more serious, though, perhaps the rounds' impact still caused internal damage even if the bullets didn't pierce his skull.
One or both points could be true. If you check his face you'll see that the blood is coming from somewhere above his forehead/temple.

If we're to go by the last gameplay sequence, I think he was screwed even without getting hit in the head.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
He was shot like 400 times before that, so the last one wasn't going to make much difference one way or the other.

Alternatively, they were shooting centre mass and the head blood came from shrapnel from earlier or something.

Gun aimed at camera doesn't particularly imply a headshot to me from that distance.

I just like to imagine he was low on HP. And then headshot, boom dead. And he couldn't buy potions etc from stores. Btw is Phoenix Down ment for, when they die or if they just barely live.. I dunno. Considering in FF2 aswell when
Mindu or Josef dies, they can just like throw a life spell or phoenix down.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
Unnecessarily serious answer: I always assumed Phoenix Down was for K.O.-ed allies, not for dead allies.

And you die when everyone is K.O. because... well, how would you defend yourself when you're knocked down?

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
The most consistent way to look at Phoenix Downs is something like CPR or life support. They can keep someone just barely alive until they get proper medical attention, but they're just buying a bit of extra time, they don't actually fix the gaping hole in your lungs by themselves (and have some limits)

Using a Phoenix Down on Aeris wouldn't have helped, Sephy just would have killed her again, and then JENOVA held off the crew until she was brain stem dead.

Or, they're a gameplay mechanic, because it would suck if you couldn't revive characters somehow.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
The most consistent way to look at Phoenix Downs is something like CPR or life support. They can keep someone just barely alive until they get proper medical attention, but they're just buying a bit of extra time, they don't actually fix the gaping hole in your lungs by themselves (and have some limits)

Using a Phoenix Down on Aeris wouldn't have helped, Sephy just would have killed her again, and then JENOVA held off the crew until she was brain stem dead.

Or, they're a gameplay mechanic, because it would suck if you couldn't revive characters somehow.

To me I look at them as smelling salts. The term is K.O, knocked out. That means that the characters are unconscious. You lose the battle when there's no one left to defend your prone bodies in that encounter, and either are executed by human enemies, or eaten by the monsters. Phoenix Downs keep you conscious

I think it gets confuses when you bring in spells like Life and Death.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
The series started using "K.O." VIII and onwards. VII actually called the status "Death", and the HP Critical status "Near-death". The Japanese term just means "unable to fight" though.

Top Bottom