• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Hojo wasn't originally going to be Sephiroth's father

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
I remember that originally Hojo was supposed to be killed off early in the game. Does this mean he wasn't always meant to be Sephiroth's father until they decided to make him more relevant? :whistle:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Interesting question. Since Hojo steps out of the story for a really long time at essentially the same part of the finished game, it could be that everything else was still the same.

Who knows, though. :monster: The developers have been pretty up front about how fluid the plotting was throughout development.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Interesting question. Since Hojo steps out of the story for a really long time at essentially the same part of the finished game, it could be that everything else was still the same.

Who knows, though. :monster: The developers have been pretty up front about how fluid the plotting was throughout development.

Well, at one point Sephiroth and Aerith were going to be brother and sister, so it could point to that Hojo wasn't going to be the father of the villain as he is in the final game. This was when the Red clone subplot was still in use, instead of him cloning Sephiroth. That's kind of a downgrade from his more prevalent role in the game.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Professor_Hojo

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Don't think it would've made much of a difference to me, because despite Hojo being Sephiroth's father....that evil scientest is SERIOUSLY not the fatherly-type, that's for sure.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Don't think it would've made much of a difference to me, because despite Hojo being Sephiroth's father....that evil scientest is SERIOUSLY not the fatherly-type, that's for sure.

He's a walking Child Protection service violation. :awesome:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Well, at one point Sephiroth and Aerith were going to be brother and sister, so it could point to that Hojo wasn't going to be the father of the villain as he is in the final game. This was when the Red clone subplot was still in use, instead of him cloning Sephiroth. That's kind of a downgrade from his more prevalent role in the game.
Do we know that it was "instead of"? I'm not sure all these ideas had to be mutually exclusive.

In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if the developers couldn't even remember at this point. After all, it's been 20 years.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Do we know that it was "instead of"? I'm not sure all these ideas had to be mutually exclusive.

In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if the developers couldn't even remember at this point. After all, it's been 20 years.

I wonder if they kept any notes on what they were planning to do originally.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie

I wonder if they kept any notes on what they were planning to do originally.

You would think that they would keep everything they've worked on in safe storage since to them, everything they've written, drawn, ect, are the only copies they have and in several years time, they're like ancient accesorites.

That, or maybe they re-watch their product on Youtube by other players who upload their workthroughs in most of the games Square's made.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
That second possibility you suggested strikes me as more likely. Some things were saved, some weren't.

For instance, Nomura's original concept art of Lucrecia was lost, and he used fanart as a reference for her design in Dirge of Cerberus.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Good point on the first thing you said. Then again, they've probably tossed other designs they would've used into the trash can when they didn't like them.

And on the second thing, he could've just searched for Lucrecia's original design on google image or something and he'd find it again. Oh well, eleven years too late now, lol.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Her original design was never made available in any artbooks or anything like that either. So, no one outside of Square ever saw it. It's just gone.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Her original design was never made available in any artbooks or anything like that either. So, no one outside of Square ever saw it. It's just gone.

I actually find it a bit hilarious that they resort to fan art to design the look of a character they created. :awesome:

JechtShotMK9

The Sublimely Magnificent One
AKA
Kamiccolo9
Concerning the Aerith/Sephiroth sibling thing, could Gast have been created as a result of that split, if Hojo was planned as the father from the beginning?

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Concerning the Aerith/Sephiroth sibling thing, could Gast have been created as a result of that split, if Hojo was planned as the father from the beginning?

Just imagine if that was it, because Aerith being the child of Hojo would be atrocious for her. It's bad enough Sephiroth has to have him as a father, but Aerith doesn't need that as well.

Top Bottom