• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

FFVII timeline pages

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I've taken some liberties over the weekend. This news won't require a frontpage post since I didn't so much add new content as clarify and correct existing content.

I've always been a bit dissatisfied with the site's Complete Timeline of the Compilation page -- mostly because it isn't a direct translation of a section in any of the Ultimanias. It's pretty much a TLS original, combining information primarily from the FFVII Series Timeline in the 10th Anniversary Ultimania, the personal timelines found in the character profiles from the same book, and then the timeline page in the Crisis Core Ultimania.

There was also a lot of editorializing and additional information thrown in, and while it was -- for the most part -- accurate information, I've always been of the opinion that we should try to recreate pages more or less as they are in the Ultimanias. Just in English. So an ongoing thorn in my side, one that has caused confusion for new members and in debates, has been that we've never had direct translations of the timeline pages found in either the 10th Anniversary Ultimania or the Crisis Core Ultimania.

Until now, of course. :monster:

I went ahead and made them, translating them from scratch to weed out the editorializing that found its way into much of the Complete Timeline of the Compilation page:

- Final Fantasy VII Series Timeline (from pg. 30 of the 10th Anniversary Ultimania)
- Crisis Core Ultimania Timeline (from pg. 547 of the CC Ultimania)

Now, don't get me wrong. The Complete Timeline page is an awesome thing to have on the site, and we should be proud to host it. It will obviously remain, and on our Guide Book Translations page, I have parenthetical notations beside of both of the links to these new articles pointing out that the information on those pages was used in the construction of TheLifestream's Complete Timeline page.

The Complete Timeline article should also remain the first link under "Highlights" on the homepage. We just needed these "less informative" pages for the sake of clarity, comprehensiveness, and -- in my own opinion -- accuracy.

I also took the liberty of removing from the Complete Timeline page the unsourced claim that Weiss was born approximately 20 years before the original game, and then removed from the Guide Book Translations page the erroneous claim that the timelines in the 10th Anniversary Ultimania and CC Ultimania are the same. They are drastically different. They overlap a lot, often with the same wording when they do, but both pages have information that the other does not.

That's pretty much it. If any of what I've said above is unclear, let me know and I will clarify.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I've taken some liberties over the weekend. This news won't require a frontpage post since I didn't so much add new content as clarify and correct existing content.

I've always been a bit dissatisfied with the site's Complete Timeline of the Compilation page -- mostly because it isn't a direct translation of a section in any of the Ultimanias. It's pretty much a TLS original, combining information primarily from the FFVII Series Timeline in the 10th Anniversary Ultimania, the personal timelines found in the character profiles from the same book, and then the timeline page in the Crisis Core Ultimania.

There was also a lot of editorializing and additional information thrown in, and while it was -- for the most part -- accurate information, I've always been of the opinion that we should try to recreate pages more or less as they are in the Ultimanias. Just in English. So an ongoing thorn in my side, one that has caused confusion for new members and in debates, has been that we've never had direct translations of the timeline pages found in either the 10th Anniversary Ultimania or the Crisis Core Ultimania.

Until now, of course.

I went ahead and made them, translating them from scratch to weed out the editorializing that found its way into much of the Complete Timeline of the Compilation page:

- Final Fantasy VII Series Timeline (from pg. 30 of the 10th Anniversary Ultimania)
- Crisis Core Ultimania Timeline (from pg. 547 of the CC Ultimania)

Now, don't get me wrong. The Complete Timeline page is an awesome thing to have on the site, and we should be proud to host it. It will obviously remain, and on our Guide Book Translations page, I have parenthetical notations beside of both of the links to these new articles pointing out that the information on those pages was used in the construction of TheLifestream's Complete Timeline page.

The Complete Timeline article should also remain the first link under "Highlights" on the homepage. We just needed these "less informative" pages for the sake of clarity, comprehensiveness, and -- in my own opinion -- accuracy.

I also took the liberty of removing from the Complete Timeline page the unsourced claim that Weiss was born approximately 20 years before the original game, and then removed from the Guide Book Translations page the erroneous claim that the timelines in the 10th Anniversary Ultimania and CC Ultimania are the same. They are drastically different. They overlap a lot, often with the same wording when they do, but both pages have information that the other does not.

That's pretty much it. If any of what I've said above is unclear, let me know and I will clarify.

Well, Japanese is confusing, considering. As for the timeline itself, I've at least come to believe that Reno is three years older than Cloud, so, in retrospect, he's 24 in FFVII, and is 26 in Advent Children, since Zack is two years older than Cloud. At least, I like to think that Reno is three years older than Cloud.

I'm also admittedly confused about Weiss and Nero who's been considered too dangerous to even be released from his chains, yet he was seen with Weiss who was also supposed to be chained collecting Genesis in the ruins of Banora in the end of Crisis Core.

And what about Agento? Unless they consider her a deleted character, so, I think the online game that is a prologue to Dirge of Cerberus is more like a deleted game with deleted scenes, which is probably why she never made an appearence in the main game.

Lex

Administrator
Tres, thank you so much for taking this on. We'll be undergoing a content restructure with the site redesign and the timeline will likely feature more prominently somewhere, so I'm really happy that you've taken the time to do this. It's not a task I would have felt comfortable with purely because I'm not intimately familiar with the timeline and obviously can't read Japanese. Much appreesh <3

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Welcome. :monster:

With the likelihood of increased newcomers as we approach the release of the remake, I thought this needed to go ahead and be done now.

I was completely unaware that the the Complete Timeline page wasn't a direct translation of the Ultimania material and I was also unaware that the timelines from the CCU and the AU were not perfectly identical. XD Thanks for letting me know via this awesome initiative of yours. Every change and newly published page gets my seal of approval. Very much agree that we should try to mimic the content and presentation of the official guide books as much as possible.

giphy.gif

Starling

Pro Adventurer
While we're at it, we might as well fix up the character profiles for the same reason. They have a few mistakes to fix and the compilation check bits are misleading since they're presented as if part of the translation when they're not.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Point out all the errors you notice in those, and I will doublecheck/correct them.

The Compilation Check sections are part of the profiles, though.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
I'm pretty sure you told me once that they weren't part of the translation and we're just added in. I probably already brought up most of the glaring stuff. I can't really put up a proper list from my phone, though.

Top Bottom