• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Why didn't they make an FFVII movie like AC?

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
Godslayer has realized this: All this talk of FFVII on X's other thread and the bitterness of being denied playing the game years back other than seeing them in the first KH for the first time (I did not know who Vincent Valentine or Cloud Strife were till he walked across the screen from Sora, Donald and Goofy), why didn't they just make a good set of series depicting FFVII instead of making the compilation? To me, it would be a nice revisit to the series as a whole rather than making mixed media with mixed results. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed DoC and the story of CC and ACC but I would rather see the original game (and play it, if I had a chance) to see the saddest moment in video game history.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Godslayer has realized this: All this talk of FFVII on X's other thread and the bitterness of being denied playing the game years back other than seeing them in the first KH for the first time (I did not know who Vincent Valentine or Cloud Strife were till he walked across the screen from Sora, Donald and Goofy), why didn't they just make a good set of series depicting FFVII instead of making the compilation? To me, it would be a nice revisit to the series as a whole rather than making mixed media with mixed results. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed DoC and the story of CC and ACC but I would rather see the original game (and play it, if I had a chance) to see the saddest moment in video game history.

Sorry that this reply is two years late, but my guess is that people wanted to find out more on the aftermath of meteor and what happened to humanity before the "500 years later", wanting to learn more about the Turks, Zack in the two prequels and the nature of Vincent while adding new villians.

Plus, we sort of revisted the Forgotten City, Midgar, Nibelhiem and such. The closest thing you'll get in revisiting it now is the Remake(which I think is a big mistake since the Compilation still needs at least one more sequel to solve the mystery of Genesis and the dead body of Weiss. Then again, that's Kitase and Nomura for you).

Still not certain on whether the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII materials will be used for the Remake(most likely not but I'm still hoping so that it can at least indicate that the Compilation is still alive), but who knows.

Plus, Square's not that good in making movies, anyway. The only CG film that actually made better reviews was AC/ACC. I liked Spirits Within, but that was a block buster bomb, and Kingsglaive was rather a disappointment. The most recent movie was Kingdom Hearts X(Chi) Back Cover and that was a bit of a disappointment.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
FFVII is pretty cinematic already, and it's like 60 hours long. Besides, I don't want to watch FFVII. The interactivity is integral to the story.

Superespresso

The big lad
FFVII is pretty cinematic already, and it's like 60 hours long. Besides, I don't want to watch FFVII. The interactivity is integral to the story.

I have to agree with this. You don't get the same kind of attachments or experience the same way in a movie that you would in a game. It would probably make a good companion movie in addition to the game (same story, just shorter for people who don't have that kind of time) but I don't think any of the games themselves should be made into a movie instead. It's part of the magic.

Movies just aren't long enough to get that attached to characters. Books enabled attachments because you have to bring so much of your own imagination to them. The old games also required you to use a lot of your imagination plus you got to actually live and act in the fictional world. I actually find the trend towards hyper-realism in games a bit alienating. The less I have to use my own imagination, the less engagement I feel. I realise this isn't true for everybody.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I'm 100% with you there, Lic. For my part, I'm still not used to voice acting, and with two exceptions (Mass Effect and FFXII) I much prefer the "not-really-a-voice-but-a-voice-inside-my-head-that-no-one-can-recreate" quality of text dialogue.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Or just skip the battle parts on Youtube just for the HD cut-scenes which won't make any sense.

I think the best CG Final Fantasy film was still Advent Children and it's little upgrade(stil the same movie, just new added scenes and some of the scenes from the original film fixed up). Spirits Within is the second best, but I think it was more of the "Spirits Within" than the actual Final Fantasy quality to it.

Kingsglaive was too realistic in the characters, like it was more live-action than the good computer graphics of created characters and people that don't exist in the real world. Storyline was confusing, and sort of had a more of a Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones and the live-action film of Sands of Time than anything else. But that's just my opinion.

I like the realism of the characters, but to me, FFVII Compilation's realism and KH series's semi-realism is enough for me that even KH2.8 and the upcoming KH3 will be closer to that of my heart. Heck, even Dissidia Arcade is more closer to my taste.

So I don't think we'll see another CG Final Fantasy movie for a long time to come. Maybe another 15 years or a bit less if we're lucky. But really, Square's more suited in gaming with movie-like scenes than making actual movies.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I'd be surprised if we don't see another FF movie around the time of the the next AAA title release (maybe even FFVII Remake). Tabata and co. seem really pleased with how releasing a movie, an anime, a game, etc. has worked out, so I don't think we've seen the last of this approach.

Hell, we just saw a KH movie of sorts included with 2.8's release.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
I never said there won't be any more Final Fantasy movies at all, because I think there will be another one, just not for a long time.

Maybe Tabata will make Type-Next a movie instead of a game, because I don't see FFVII getting anymore films after the Remake. Another small spin-off maybe, or a sequel, but not movies or anime.

Superespresso

The big lad
I'd be surprised if we don't see another FF movie around the time of the the next AAA title release (maybe even FFVII Remake). Tabata and co. seem really pleased with how releasing a movie, an anime, a game, etc. has worked out, so I don't think we've seen the last of this approach.

Hell, we just saw a KH movie of sorts included with 2.8's release.

I really don't mind this release pattern to be honest. I enjoyed Kingsglaive (much more after playing XV) and they've always had the majority of the information spread between multiple sources. Drama CD's, books, animations.. In the case of XV and VII it's a little overboard, but I can't say I mind too much. Reaches different audiences. Also something to do when your eyes are sore from playing a game, or you want to pick up a book instead of watch a movie. Keeps you doing things related to the media.

The movies aren't bad either. Just vague. Could be worse. :monster:

ChOcOboO

Game-changer
Well at the time it excited fans more to know about what happened to the gang after the events of the original game, and you add cutting-edge technology to that in movie form? Not only was it a new and exciting platform but it had voice-acting as well! I wouldn't mind an FFVII anime, we already saw how good Last Order looked, retcon and all.

AerithLives

Pro Adventurer
Because, like AC, they would release the film 75% finished and it will do really badly, then several years later release the entire film finished after everyone has forgotten about it and the hype has died down.

Top Bottom