Share/Request rare FFVII footage here

Fully aware that this thread won't see much activity, I wanted to catch your attention if only briefly.

Do you have any of the following three files on your computer?

- up0023
- up0025
- up0044

If you have, chances are they will be .zip and/or .wmv files. Unless your file has either of these names by coincidence, the file(s) you are looking at contain footage from the beta testing phase of the Dirge of Cerberus Multiplayer. The videos can no longer be found online due to all download links having expired. If said videos are in your possession, please share them either via PM or publically on this thread. :monster:

So while this thread is primarily a desperate attempt at me to find said video files, I want you to feel free to request any particular FFVII multimedia that you can no longer find online.

Links relevant to the three Beta Testing videos:
- http://dcff7.seesaa.net/article/7264517.html
- http://www.paradigm-city.com/forums/thread/9448-5.html
- https://web.archive.org/web/2007081...children.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53719

Last edited:

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
While I don't have them, unfortunately, I'd love to see these beta footage.

I mean, if the gameplay of the mobile side came of Dirge was found and posted on Youtube a few years back, then there's a chance of us seeing these as well.

I'm still waiting for anyone to find and post Episode of Reno and Episode of Legend gameplay videos which will never happen, but one can dream, right? Thanks for making this thread.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Should we make an Effort to archive these rare videos for posterity? I mean IDK if they're subject to takedown requests from Square, but, they could be uploaded to an archive site, TLS, or chucked into the BitTorrent network. Maybe archive.org would be interested in preserving it.

I also know of a video game museum not too far from me, maybe they'd be interested or have an idea what to do with this kind of thing.

There is a rumor that the Japanese version of Dirge of Cerberus - Lost Episode is still possible to buy from the Japanese online store, or at least was so until fairly recently. While my overall impression from browsing this and that site is that the game is no longer for sale, I would like a more confident confirmation from somebody who can actually read the websites. A direct answer from the Square Enix customer support would be nice too.

If you roam archived pages of the FF Products site from 2013, you see a row of product specification which is no longer present:
価格
800FFポイント(税込840円相当)
Price
800 FF point (equivalent to 840 yen including tax)

It occurred to me only just today that unless we save the Before Crisis playthroughs currently online on Nico Nico Douga, even the numbered episodes which we have taken for granted since 2008 may be lost in their original, non-translated form.

I have typically used this site to download Nico Nico videos, but right now I keep getting errors every time I try a download. Anybody know a different, trustworthy site that provides the same service?

Sites dedicated to downloading Nico Nico and YouTube videos can appear a bit shady and I'm constantly afraid that I'll catch a virus/malware/insta-death-explosion either by using the service or by installing a particular video-download app. Ergo why I'd be very grateful if members over here could confirm if they've been able to use one download service or other without problems.

A common theme I've spotted is that when the highest quality of a video is 480p or higher, the highest quality download is not available with audio attached. If somebody could link me to a simple, safe site for downloading the highest quality video versions every time I would be stoked.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i might have bc's videos downloaded, i will have to check. (i don't use a site, but a program called cravingexplorer which acts like internet explorer but with video/audio download options)

edit; checked, i have chapters 1 to 24, the ending, epilogue, and the tseng chapter. will have to look for the reno and legend chapters

Last edited:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
going to download videos of the japanese version of dc lost episode now (i tried to see if it was still available to play but i haven't determined that, didn't see anything about it stopping service/distribution and the ff mobile service it was provided on seems to still have news updates in 2016)

best advice for japanese things online, especially of this nature (gameplay videos, scripts, etc.), is to make a copy of it because it will disappear at some point

edit for shad's new post; 2ch used to, don't know if they still do, block a lot of non-japanese ip addresses from posting on the site anyway so posting there might require a proxy or vpn

Last edited:

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I've actually seen the Lost Episode that was had translated english text in front of the Japanese text by...I think by a Youtuber named GrimoireValentine who also had the walkthrough of all of the Before Crisis chapters, Episode of Tseng, and cut scenes of the Online multiplayer mode of Dirge of Cerberus' Japanese release, but none for Episode of Reno, Episode of Legend or even the Jade WEAPON mission.

Not sure if they're still available on Youtube since the other video sites I go to tend to crash on me, so I usually go to Youtube since that hardly crashes at all.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
iirc there was an official english version of lost episode released, though i'm not sure if they voiced that one (i think the version that was pre-installed on phones in japan wasn't voiced either, you had to update it to add dialogue audio)

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
No, I don't think there are voice acting in the Lost Episode, especially since the game itself and Before Crisis were both on flip-phone which had zero chance of getting actual voice acting. Sound effects, absolutely, but no acting was used back then. Would've been cool if there was, though.

iirc there was an official english version of lost episode released, though i'm not sure if they voiced that one (i think the version that was pre-installed on phones in japan wasn't voiced either, you had to update it to add dialogue audio)

This relates to two screenshots found on FFVIIExcavation.

2mHOZRP.jpg
t6XfyK5.jpg

It's interesting that the recorded playthrough of Lost Episode has Japanese voices, even for minor characters, yet the menu does not say "Full-voice Ver.".

The English version of Lost Episode is essentially a holy grail of FFVII, since we lack a complete recording of it unlike with the Japanese version.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Huh, that's surprising for the Japanese version to have a little voice recording. But then again, I think it's mainly because Japan had better quality for that than the rest of the world on mobiles(which also explains why we never got the English version of Before Crisis. That's why a Remake is better off for the game because it has better chance than mobile).

At least we can still read the Lost Episode in English...or at least we did back then.

Top Bottom