• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Editorial: Change Is Good: The Evolving World of MMOs

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Here's an editorial I wrote about dealing with change in MMOs, specifically centered around FF14. This probably needs some heavy editing and as always I welcome any critiques - particularly those from avid players of the game.

Here's the Google Doc

Change Is Good: The Evolving World of MMOs

With the recent shut down of Club Penguin, the cartoony MMO developed by New Horizons Inc (now Disney Canada Inc. after a buyout in 2009), my mind turns to the transitory nature of online gaming. Sure, I never played Club Penguin and, in fact, was only vaguely aware of its existence. But seeing something shut down after 12 years and watching a community mourn (even as a sequel is being released soon), makes me reflect on the changes I’ve seen through my own experiences. The major difference between online gaming and single-player gaming is quite obvious - single-player games require no other participant but you and can be picked up even decades down the line to be enjoyed. With online gaming, especially in the form of MMORPGs, the community is essential to the experience; or rather the community is the experience.

My earliest bit of online gaming was the heyday of Halo 2’s outstanding multiplayer, and when the servers for that finally shut down the community took it hard (look up the tale of the Noble14 and Apache N4SIR). As far as MMORPGs I have only ever played four (well five if you count Kingdom of Loathing). Runescape was my first, and we all know that the game has evolved immensely, now on “Runescape 3” though the classic versions are still being played on private servers. I played Free Realms for a while at the prodding of my brother, but unfortunately this truly excellent game was shut down in 2014. I tried World of Warcraft next but I didn’t play very long and while I can’t comment on the growth first hand, the game has had a litany of six expansion packs since it was first introduced. Lastly, while I missed what I’m told is the glorious and under-appreciated Final Fantasy XI, I did manage to get sucked into A Realm Reborn: Final Fantasy XIV.

“So what are you driving at, Jason?” Well I’m not here to put the fear of the death of your beloved MMORPGs fresh in your mind (at least not only that). I’m here to tell you about how the changing nature of the games are essential to their makeup, and in their way a kind of beautiful thing. I’m here to put a positive spin on the life cycle of an MMORPG.

I Don’t Like Change

Humans don’t like change. Sure we adapt, and many thrive in changing environments. But at the sight of something new being done to something old that we love, tell me with a straight face that your first reaction isn’t a quiet little fear in the pit of your stomach that goes “they’re going to ruin it!” Now, whether you take that thought and bury it and try to enjoy the new thing for what it is, or whether you post obnoxious comments on game trailers is a personal choice. But there is no genre of gaming that faces more change than MMORPGs, and by their very nature they have to be constantly evolving.

When users shell out upwards of $15 a month for a service they expect to get their money’s worth, and when the quests and dungeons have all dried up - to quote Moe from The Simpsons - “they ain’t gonna stick around for the ambiance”. So we get content patches which add new features, new areas, new quests. Eventually whole expansion packs which launch entirely new regions, stories, music, character models, jobs and even some new game mechanics. Case in point, Heavensward, added flying mounts to Final Fantasy XIV and featured massive regions as opposed to the smaller, more intimate maps of A Realm Reborn.

But with everything new that is added there are, naturally, some things that fall by the wayside. In the case of Final Fantasy XIV each content patch has made obsolete some of the farmed
Tomestones which are used to purchase high level gear. If you farmed a whole bunch and didn’t trade them in before the final cutoff point, you were out of luck (though they handled this remarkably gracefully). What really drives the wedge though is when certain dungeons are no longer being frequented because their loot has become obsolete. I find that very few people want to line up for St. Mocianne’s Arboretum unless they’re doing the quest for the first time now. One of my old favorites, the Fractal Continuum, hardly saw much action for a while.

And going back to the really old raids I had the hardest time getting into the old Crystal Tower raids, to say nothing of the Binding Coil of Bahamut because simply nobody had any reason to do them anymore and they were incredibly tough. Square-Enix saw their beloved dungeons dwindling and did do something awesome which is create a questline which offers new rewards for doing old dungeons - a genius move which allowed me to finally experience these old raids.

But now that everybody entering was in the latest gear the dynamic had definitely changed. What were once intimidating, menacing raids were now a walk in the park. Even the touted World of Darkness can be completed with any semi-competent team in the proper gear. And yes there are options to play the dungeons and raids at minimum item level, but unless you are part of a static group that does that you’ll find it’s quite hard to get into.

But Change Is A Good Thing

So yeah some other stuff has eluded me, and other things are slipping me buy. I’ve never done Treasure Hunts, never really bothered with the PvP, never got to go to the Diadem and the seasonal events once completed really are gone for good, though a similar-ish event will be back next year.

But as sad and addiction-inducing as this knowledge can be, I argue that this is what makes MMORPGs so fascinating to begin with. Only the most diehard players will do “everything” that the game has to offer. The game is not designed around giving one player the complete experience. It’s designed around giving every player a unique experience. This is why you really can’t just go it alone in these games. Sure, you can’t do dungeons without a pick-up group, but the true reason to invest in a community and to make friends is to have people to show you things you might be missing out on. Having teammates who complement your weaknesses or have skills you haven’t developed yet.

Not everybody can be arsed with doing a crafting profession. But if you never picked it up and you need some materia melded, you better have a friend on hand who can do it for you, or meet somebody in public willing to do it for you. Maybe you are doing a crafting job but don’t like collecting supplies. Well thank goodness for the gatherers who are out there working hard to bring raw materials to sell at the market place. Maybe you don’t really like to grind all that much and would rather fight your way to better gear. Then you’d better get a team together for Palace of the Dead.

If you want to get lost in a good story, then maybe you’d like to spend some time working on the Postman quests or the absolutely phenomenal Hildebrand questline. Maybe you want to create a fantasy of your own and get involved in an RP group or server. Maybe you want to spend all your time working on your card game and Chocobo racing in the Gold Saucer. Or maybe, like me, you want to try a little taste of everything.

With the constantly evolving environment there can feel like there is a ticking clock. You might fear falling behind and I’ll admit this is a personal struggle that I have while playing. But the peace I’ve made with it is that while some minor things will change the main meat will always be there, and if it matters to you the changes make it easier to catch up.

Conclusion
So what was that rambling about then? Well I guess the main point I am trying to get across is that there is a lesson to be learned from MMORPGs, and not just about work/life balance. It is the lesson that we would do well to learn in the real world as well: Go at your own pace and create your own experience.

MMORPGs are designed meticulously to be a living, breathing world with lots to see and do. There are tons of people playing and every person is doing something slightly different from you. Their quest is unique to them and their experiences unique as well. Final Fantasty XIV may not be around forever (heck the world already died once). The same can be said about any of your beloved online games. And as much as you might try you will never get to do it all. So rather than worry about what everybody else is doing, or worrying about the fact that you might miss something or get left behind, the key is to enjoy the experiences you are making for yourself today. Now go out there and have an adventure.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I'm encouraging all our authors to get their work into our Wordpress backend for editing so after checking with Jason, I've moved this editorial over there. I'll give it a once over but more pairs of eyes are always appreciated.

JT, if you want to see the changes I or anyone else makes, make sure you have the "revisions" box checked under "screen options". You'll then see a panel that looks like this:

vGrc.png

Just click on a timestamp to see what changes were made in that revision. The first non-empty revision is a direct copy-and-paste of your Google Doc so comparing against that (by ticking the "compare any two revisions" box) will show you all the changes. Feel free to disagree and revert any you don't like.

Last edited:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
First edit done.

If one of our graphic designers would like to come up with a featured image and perhaps an inline image,
d45cbb2f0ed1f62817e451dcf267e41e_-be-great-bill-lumbergh-lumbergh-meme-thatd-be-great_500-418.jpeg

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Flintlock as always I owe you a great deal. You turn my inane midnight ramblings into a beautiful coherent article. I'll add a punchier conclusion per your suggestion. Should I get images for within the article as usual or are we now devoting that to an art team?

Many thanks for always taking such an interest in my work and helping it be as good as it possibly can be. If I'm ever in Finland, I owe you a pint! :monster:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I wouldn't turn down a pint from you but you don't have to think of it as a favour – it's just me doing my job for TLS. :)

Feel free to find a couple of images for the article.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
Enjoyed reading that Jason, I especially like the conclusions you drew from XIV and how you applied them to real life at the end.
"But Change Is A Good Thing

So yeah some other stuff has eluded me, and other things are slipping me buy." Should be 'slipping me by'.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
The article is up. To avoid too much legal falderal and fiddledy-dee I simply used my personal screenshots. I think apart from being convenient from a legal point of view (technically the images are still Square Enix property, but whatevs) it fits thematically with the article encouraging everybody to have their own adventure by sharing some screenshots from mine.

Editorial: Change Is Good

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Looking good! I'm not sure the article should start with an image right underneath the featured image, but I'll leave that up to you.

Regarding the legal stuff, it's good that you're thinking about it, but don't worry yourself too much. I think we can justifiably claim fair use for game screenshots and promotional material; I just don't want us using things like fan art without permission.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
I've updated because that did look a little janky to me too. I just changed what was my first article image into the featured image and removed the other. It's a better image anyways, lol.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
At a glance, the title appeared to be "Editorial Change is Good." I was like "What you tryin' to say, broskie?" :awesome:

Great read. I think you've put into words some of the amorphous concerns I have for FFXV that I hadn't yet been able to pin down. With so much of the game's content being released by download, I really hope that all but the stuff that absolutely has to be online (like the forthcoming multiplayer components) will see release on a disc.

As you noted in this article and as your recent journal playthrough of FFVIII demonstrates, the majority of FF games can still be enjoyed in their entirety decades after release, servers or no servers. I hope we don't move away from that -- for FF or gaming in general.

Also appreciated the point you applied to real life here, by the way. :monster: One really can't do everything, and that shouldn't be the main objective anyway.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Thanks for the comments man.

Hey whoever runs the Facebook page, can that get shared on there too? I do enjoy seeing the kudos from the community. :monster:

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
Well this isn't the correct thread to be asking that question, but bottom line is that ACF went down in ball of fire and drama many many years ago. TLS, although a hub to many of the old forum members who frequented ACF (including myself), is not affiliated with those folks. Our site master is Yop, aka Cthulhu.

Unit-01

Might be around.
AKA
Sic, Anthony
Hey just a comment, as a very active player of Runescape, private servers aren't the only way to play the older version of RS.

Jagex released Old School RS a few years back, and it's as popular if not more so than RS3.

Top Bottom