• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Extent of the ripped mobius resources from the remake

ultima espio

Pro Adventurer
c471c_01_zpsfhfh1ova.png~original
If you smush the LR one, it fits with the mobius model. Some parts were altered, but the base is the same. I went as far as to check the poly count of the outfit, LR has 4172, and mobius has 4544, due to the bangle being missing from the LR one.

They look different due to how they set up the bump maps and lighting, it looks much better in mobius but it's mostly the same. Remember that the vertices were moved around as well, so it's not identical.

This isn't the first time they've recycled something for a mobile game, Cloud was a combination of Crisis Core and Dissidia in G bike, Tifa was straight from Dissidia with a new mouth as well.

My guess is that Kitase didn't know what it was, and just assumed it was the model from the PS4 version because it was disguised well. I'm convinced this model was quickly thrown together for the sake of Mobius, as the one in the PSX 2015 trailer looks closer to FFXV.

LR could easily have reused the assets from the tech demo...

Last edited:

hian

Purist
Am I the only one that see no significant similarities between the two except the fact that they're both portraying the same thing? I mean like reasonably speaking, there can only be so much difference between two sets of skins of what is essentially the same outfit. As for poly-counts, it's not unreasonable for poly-counts to be similar. The remake assets were rescaled according to Kitase, and the format of the skin file being similar is stated as the reason the porting being possible and easy to do in the first place.

Among other things pants are completely different (look to the diagonal stripes, and pocket on the upper picture), as is the mesh upper part and the gloves.
It's not just a matter of bump-mapping and lighting.
Again, it's an iconic outfit - the motif is the same, so variational possibilities are limited given that when making texture for such an outfit, you're trying to recreate a thing that already has an established appearance.

I'm serious though, I really don't see much similarities between those two textures apart from what can easily be explained by the fact that the motif is the same.
It's an established outfit.

It's perfectly possible that the new textures were made working off of earlier textures though, and that could be true even for the remake model's textures, I'm perfectly happy to grant that.

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I'm curious how much the colour scheme and such is affected by the Midgar lighting rendered on mobile (unless you feel the same way about the extant Remake footage). Also, I'm genuinely not sure what you mean by the hair being too different.

Insofar as Cloud looking gaunt, I think that that's actually a positive, because throughout most of FFVII, Cloud isn't exactly a healthy individual, and I'm glad that some of that is reflected in his facial features, so there's a small sense that he's not alright.

To each their own, though. :awesomonster:

X :neo:

ultima espio

Pro Adventurer
It's not that bad actually. It's just the weird lightning they use in Mobius. Lightning's model is the same one that's used in XIII with slightly lower res texturing and brighter hair, but looks worse here. You can download them from the models resource and see for yourself if you want.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I mean, his hair's always been long, and the left side only makes it look a bit more symmetrical/uniform since it hangs down, rather than spiking out wildly, but that's been the case in most all of his non-Lego-era designs, so it's not really specific to this model:

Lego-era side-spikes
cloud5.jpg

And some degree of that will change how it looks when it's in an engine where it's rendered more like hair (see Prompto), and less like texture blocks, but still — ymmv.

X :neo:

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Yeah no, all versions of Dissidia, Smash Bros and KH1 are far closer to the original style. Even AC at least keeps the left side a little shorter.

Here, they went full David Bowie Labyrinth on Cloud's hair. it has very little semblance to iconic shape.

Top Bottom