• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

The Shape of Water

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Found a video about classic film references in The Shape of Water, and it really describes the Film Vs. Movie sentiment I had. It's a good watch, but full spoiler discussion, so only check it out AFTER you've seen the film.

X :neo:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I also know that you'll be back in this thread a month from now, and I won't've forgotten that one video on the film that I watched a month ago and wanted to share with you.

:awesomonster:

CroppedImage600338-Tonight-forum-widget.jpg

That was a beautiful film. I'm going again tomorrow.

Edit: I teared up twice, both times. Probly not at the parts you thought, tho :/
When she was pleading with her neighbor to help her bust him out, the acting that Sally Hawkins did there was outstanding. I FELT her desperation.
The other was after the second time they made love, when he walks in, and the look on her face was just... Pure contentment, and happiness.

I was this close to crying each time. I'm weird.

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Not at all, she did an INCREDIBLE job in this film, and it's hard for those moments not to get to you. I'm so glad you finally got to see it~

I honestly think it's in my top 3 movies. I would say it's number one, but I don't know how much of that is the honeymoon period. I need some time to see it a few more times, and get some time away from that first viewing.

I love this movie. It's so beautiful, in every aspect. Not just design and cinematography, but themes, and performances, and soundtrack. I want to go back and find certain scenes just to watch them again, but I don't want to possibly rob them of their impact by watching them outside of the whole.

It's so weird, I cant remember a movie effecting me in this way before. I have strong feelings about it, but, regardless of how I'm talking about it here, I don't feel like I'm gushing about it. Like, with every thing I bring up, my mind goes back to those parts, and I can just feel the impact of the whole movie wash over me, and I start to tear up a little. And the film left me with a feeling of sadness, but contentment. Like I just had a good cry, and am huddled under the blankets in front of the fireplace just enjoying the feeling of relaxation that comes from being drained while wrapped in warmth. Only I don't feel drained. I feel full. Full, and content, comforted.

I love this movie.

EDIT: I want to share this movie with my family, but I also don't want to, for two reasons. They won't get it, and think it's weird. But also, I went to this by myself both times. The theatre wasn't especially full, and I kindof want to keep it as something just for me. I mean I know tons of people have seen it, but in person, physically with me, I've essentially seen it alone, and I want to keep that. An experience for me. Something personal. Something "private".

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
...the film left me with a feeling of sadness, but contentment. Like I just had a good cry, and am huddled under the blankets in front of the fireplace just enjoying the feeling of relaxation that comes from being drained while wrapped in warmth. Only I don't feel drained. I feel full. Full, and content, comforted.

I think that that's the best description of the film.

I absolutely love it similarly, and I also find it a little hard to share with folks for similar reasons that you mentioned in your edit. It's one of those things where you only want to share it with other people who you know will also have the film in their top 3, if that makes sense. If definitely is a cinematic experience that's not really like most other movies.

Again – feel like a film, not a movie.

I need help. I've seen it 4 times, and I'm not sure if I should go again tonight. It gets pushed out tomorrow for Black Panther. Last chance to see it in theatres

Edit: apparently it's NOT being bumped out! So I get to see it at least one more...
It actually got an applause last time I went. That's nearly unprecedented where I live. Only seen that happen once before.

Last edited:
Just saw it again... I'm crying at more parts now. Like during the intro with Eliza. That music is beautiful and fits perfectly

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I hope your eye will be good enough at least, <_<. I am only seeing praise for the movie though, I should go watch it myself soonish. Just have to find the ideal time in between it being too busy and it being removed from cinemas already - for some reason they don't keep playing movies for very long :/.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I love reading everything you keep posting about this, Inter. Also, I can't wait for ya to see it too, Mage. Also, you should check it out fgj, Yop!

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I checked it out, :monster:. It's pretty cool... for a weird take on the Shadow over Innsmouth, :awesome:.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Huh. Apparently there's a short film from 2015, The Space Between Us (no relation to the longer hollywood one) which is er, pretty much the same plot as Shape of Water:

I've done a googling and apparently there's no relation at all between the two. Still, curious.

There's also a plagiarism lawsuit for a 1969 play, Let Me Hear You Whisper, about a cleaning lady at a marine research thing, where she plays music and talks to a dolphin, eventually trying to spring it free via a laundry hamper. (play spoiler: doesn't work, rip dolphin. Not sure if there's kinky fish fuckery in there)

The plot thiccens. Is it such a predictable plot or is there lots of plagiarism or common sources of inspiration or something involved?

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
So we watched it when Mr Channys brother came for a visit and I forgot to report back. It was.... something. I mean it&#8217;s nice but not life changing as it seemed for you guys. I think I shed a tear at some point. The intro was a bit jarring but I get it they want to make it seem that she has a sensual side, she&#8217;s not just a mute box.

I didn&#8217;t like
the little musical number she had. That felt out of left field for me in this film and, IMO, took something away from her character that was developing with her muteness. To just burst into song which I get is her dream felt unnecessary and backtracked her character. *sheug*

In the end though....

tumblr_p29bw7criE1u3g7u0o7_500.gif

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I've taken the liberty (sorry) to also spoiler tag that gif, if you don't mind.

Too good a scene to spoil :awesome:

Top Bottom