• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Three Reasons Why There Shouldn’t Be a Final Fantasy VII Remake

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
This conflicts with my image of SE as a company that just doesn't give a fuck anymore.

Well I must emphasise that its only a teeny tiny part of me that thinks that, I call it my 'optimisim gland' and its about a millimeter in diameter :monster:

Ashiel

Rookie Adventurer
Ashiel, Lex and Masamune: I love you guys. Masa and Lex pointed out the reasons a remake shouldn't be done, but if it happens, Ashiel needs to have a leading role in its development.

Thank you El Diablo Gato. You flatter me. :joy:
I really do love FF VII. I still to this day believe it to be the greatest game ever made; and I've played a ton of them (especially with the advent of Emulators allowing us to play tons of retro games you can't find the cartridges for, or some translated roms of games that never made it across the pond). In a sense, I think my suggestions stem from something similar to love. ;)

Tetsujin said:
That's not what I wanna see. A remake is pointless to me if it's purely a graphical update.
Pretty much why I think some bonus features and Ex-mode with extra goodies would be really cool. Stuff that adds replay value is awesome. I could appreciate the game with just enhanced visuals, higher resolution maps, remastered music, and so forth, because it would probably also come with analog support and such, but I would love to see some new optional content like the aforementioned alternate outfits, etc. I think it would add more to the game for us long-time fans (though I would still appreciate a honest recreation of the original for the youngsters of today).

One thing that seriously worries me though is the fact they would probably want to add voice acting to the game. I just don't see that working very well. First off, I feel like you connect more with the characters when you mind gives them their voice, and secondly I feel like voice acting creates two potential problems:

1. You run the risk of having more segments of voice acting, or characters who are supposed to be endearing but end up coming off as obscenely annoying (that one chick from FF XIII comes to mind).
  2. There is an obscene amount of dialog in FF VII. That's part of its charm. Older RPGs just seemed to have more going on in them because of the amount of NPCs who are out and about, and have things to say. In a game with tons of voice dialog, designers always cut corners and either make few NPCs, keep NPC dialog short, or record a few generic things to make the NPCs say randomly.

Alternatively, they might decide to voice act certain scenes instead of the whole game. The only thing seriously hurt there is consistency, and the fact you still have the 1st problem active; but it would be less likely to screw up and might be good if it was pulled off just right. Personally, I'm a text dialog fan. RPGs like FF VII are actually part of the reason I write as well as I do. While other kids found their reading/writing inspirations in stuff like Harry Potter, I was fighting Sephiroth and trying to halt The Lion War. ;)

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
If they were to remake i would like them to forgo the style of the Compilation completely. It just doesn't fit the feel of the original game. Everyone's just too pretty and yeah even though they're all anime-looking characters, FF7's design hinged on everything being unnaturally bright yet simultaneously very dirty and gritty looking. It'd be nice if the character models reflected that.

Ashiel

Rookie Adventurer
If they were to remake i would like them to forgo the style of the Compilation completely. It just doesn't fit the feel of the original game. Everyone's just too pretty and yeah even though they're all anime-looking characters, FF7's design hinged on everything being unnaturally bright yet simultaneously very dirty and gritty looking. It'd be nice if the character models reflected that.

Agreed. It would be cool if the models had battle damage, dirty faces, and other stuff that just looks really gritty. Then, have the materia in their weapons and armor be clearly visible. That might be tricky to code, but it should be possible to create a system that marks the "slots" in weapons and armor, and make them glow different hues depending on which materia are set in the spots (or not glow at all as the may be, if empty).

Dark and Gritty said:
Last_Order_screenshot.jpg

+

Cool Slotted Gear said:

+

Pretty Materia said:

=

Epic Materia was Mastered; Epic Materia was Born said:

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
Anyway, there is a part of me that hopes that the reason they haven't yet remade FFVII is because they know they fucking can't and they'll just leave well alone, all the while dropping the occasional hints to maintain interest in themselves as a company.

This is also what I had in mind, although I see these 'occasional hints' as saying something like, 'Hey guys, we also really want a remake but we know we've been giving you shit, it's gonna take a while but when we're confident enough we'll pull it off, JUST YOU WAIT!'

Lumina

a pokémon.
AKA
Bayleef, Jessica
Remake? No, thank you. I didn't liked Final Fantasy VII, but even so I am against remakes. I would much prefer new games (Like Versus?) Instead of making old games.

Marle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Ava, Spike Spiegel, Stella Nox Fleuret, Altair Ibn-La'Ahad, Princess Zelda, Alice, Raven Roth, Faye Valentine, Tifa Lockhart, Khal Drogo
I think I'm one of the few people on here who wouldn't mind a remake. I actually really want one. I don't feel like they could really ruin FF7 more than they already have, tbh. And worst case scenario, I still have the original to cling to even if they do. At this point, it doesn't even matter.

I'm an optimist; I think SE might do it justice and possibly redeem the series after the crap that was Advent Children. But that's just me.

Ashiel

Rookie Adventurer
I think I'm one of the few people on here who wouldn't mind a remake. I actually really want one. I don't feel like they could really ruin FF7 more than they already have, tbh. And worst case scenario, I still have the original to cling to even if they do. At this point, it doesn't even matter.

I'm an optimist; I think SE might do it justice and possibly redeem the series after the crap that was Advent Children. But that's just me.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who was disappointed with Advent Children. -_-

It would be nice if Squeenix could redeem themselves. Back during the PS1 years, it seemed that they could do no wrong. Even their weaker titles were still some of the best games you could buy. That says a lot, I think.

It's amazing how much has changed in a decade... :puppy:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
It's nice to know I'm not the only one who was disappointed with Advent Children. -_-

You are not the only one at all. I thought Advent Children was a steaming pile of horse manure. I'm sure I've mentioned that around the site.

I haven't seen the Complete version yet though. I will, one day, but I'm not looking forward to it.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
funny, a tumblr post popped up last night with kitase talking about a remake

tbqh it's more trouble than its worth. it'd take ten times the amount of time it took to make xiii, and because of the scale of the towns and the graphics they'd be dealing with, they'd have to end up cutting out a lot of stuff.

this quote from him was the best tho:

But on the other hand, those slightly negative features and bits, some of the fans - really enthusiastic fans of these titles - that gives them an extra flavour or personality or whatever, so maybe they would rather we didn’t do anything about it and we just leave it in as it is

this is the biggest reason why i wouldn't want a remake. i like the popeye the sailor man arms and the block hands and the bad translations and the string of symbols in place of cursing. they're all a part of the experience of ff7 and they just don't translate into a modern game -- to update it is to take away a lot of the things that make the game unique.

what square needs to do is focus on making modern games feel more classic instead of making classic games modern.

Last edited:

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
In regards to my previous post, I'd like everyone to check out the Tactics Ogre remake (which I'd like to state again, is fantastic and utterly better in every to the original game, which was also fantastic to begin with), especially those who are against the concept of remakes. Tell me what you think. I also obviously recommend playing it too.

square needs to do is focus on making modern games feel more classic instead of making classic games modern.

That's a powerful statement right here. Listen to this.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
THERE SHOULD NOT BE A REMAKE BECAUSE THERE WILL BE MUCH CONFUSION DONE LIKE ADVENT CHILDREN! I NEVER GOT THE PLOT OF ADVENT CHILDREN AT ALL UNTIL I WATCHED IT FOR THE 6TH TIMELOL

Captain Jack Harkness

not a out-of-bounds guy
AKA
4nn4-chan, Loras Tyrell, Loki
plot? AC have a plot?
i thought that the plot is: Cloud is emo 'cause aerith is died, sephiroth want revive so he had created 3 avatar, thanks Vincent and tifa understand that he doesn't be emo, sephiroth (revived thanks kadaj) fight cloud, Cloud win because he use Omnislash.
is this a plot? :huh:
and, of course, everithing is in a great CG and the phisics doesn't exist.

Top Bottom