Songs That Resonate With You

Lex

Administrator
Fun idea for a mild spam-light thread. I'm sure we've all had this experience where we're listening to a song and it particularly fits an experience or mood that you've had, that brings you back or makes you think of a specific moment in your life. Or even a song that you feel deeply reflects you or your feelings as a person.

This can be serious, not too serious or whatever you like. I just often find that I'm listening to a song and I want to say "this song means x to me because y" and it just doesn't fit in the "what are you listening to" thread, possibly because that thread has become a bit like that old MSN plugin that WMP had that updated your status to whatever song you listened to. It doesn't exactly foster discussion about music XD.

So I'll start with this:

I'm sure those in the US will be familiar with the story of this song. The Dixie Chicks were playing at a venue in the UK at the time of the Iraq war and were opposed to the invasion. The lead singer made the comment, "We're ashamed the president [George W. Bush] of the United States is from Texas". Because of this, they were sent death threats, silly comments like "how dare you say that on foreign soil!", had to deal with all sorts of terrible adversity in their home country and other such crap. They disappeared for about 3 years then came out with this.

The song means something completely different to me (because songs are written this way on purpose to sell, they're written to resonate). At the time it was released, I was a little bit younger and going through some personal stuff. Specifically a guy I had had feelings for who was kind of a psycho treated me like shit then came over all nicey nicey a year or so later. After short emotional turmoil, this song was pretty liberating after I doubted my decision to cut the person out of my life. As a person who can be pretty obstinate and stubborn, it helps me there too.

You don't have to go into a big explanation about the song and it's origins, I just thought I'd include some trivia :P

So TLS, what songs resonate with you, and why?

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
May or May not be serious

edit:

^ Dont get me wrong I love me some goodbye horses any time of the day but I just felt like linking some Q Lazzarus lol

A serious response might be a few songs from Bad Religion especially

In my younger years I completely missed the actual point of the song and I took it waaay to literal while the metaphors flew right over my head. In any case when I did listen to this band a lot was in a very rough time in my life and the interpretation of the song helped me a lot and gave me hope.

Around that time I was a real fuck up and I just knew when I would see family or friends that I hadn't seen in awhile they would think "Wth happened there". I really wanted to change but some things take a long time to recover from and this song was my way of thinking "I'm not there yet but as long as I'm a live Ill get there".

Funny enough even though i understand the song better now (it's apparently about society who knew :monster: ) I still have a hard time accepting its not the way I understood it when I was younger lol.

In any case this is a wonderful cover of the song that I actually prefer over the original

Similarly Bad Religions "You" is also another one that hit me pretty hard around that time especially the first half. That girl also covered it pretty well lol :monster:

Last edited:

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast

There's no real personal reason for why it's stuck with me so much. I just remember the first time I listened to it I got goosebumps and a lump in my throat. Eerie or mournful songs always end up striking some sort of chord for me, but this one in particular. It's peaceful and pensive but cacophonous and disordered at the same time. I think it's like the day-to-day state of one's mind put into song. It's all contradictory and jumbled full of noise and quiet and everything in between.

Top Bottom