What's your favorite version of One-Winged Angel?

Daikini-San

Currently in another Dimension
AKA
Iku-Ne
I'm sorry for being on this Sephiroth binge lately, but the recent Dissidia reveal has got me hype! ^^; So I'd like to know what's your favorite version of One-Winged Angel and why. :) Mine are the Dissidia, Advent Children Complete, Crisis Core, and FF7 original versions. The Dissidia version is the best imo because there's so much passion behind the chorus. The KH versions sound ok, but the chorus is weak imo and for a character like Sephiroth that's not acceptable. This brings me to my next thing; though the song is written to invoke fear, despair, and hatred, if you listen carefully I think each version invokes additional emotions, to me at least. The Dissidia version invokes passion, willpower, perseverance, and determination, while the KH versions sound like Sephiroth's got the choir people held hostage and he's making them chant his theme song. They're just brainwashed to chant. It sounds like it to me anyway-except the newer KH versions, especially the KH 2.5 version. Is it me or does that one sound a bit 'uppity.' lol anyway, thoughts? :D Below is analytical data of the original FF7 One-Winged Angel piece. :)

table+3.png

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
My personal favorite One Winged Angel is the Reunion Tracks version (the first orchestration with ABSOLUTELY CAVERNOUS echo). It was also used on the Dissidia soundtrack.

The Distant Worlds I version is pretty great though. It's the same arrangement by Shiro Hamaguchi, and a pretty solid recording, but it doesn't have DAT ECHO.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
I prefer Advent Children's or the ACC version the most, I think. That electric guitar is just awesome :awesome: I like the orchestrated version too.
I actually enjoy the CC version too, it's more chaotic and crazy, kind of a good mix for when he's really at his craziest.

Ghost X

The OG version I think is the best. Haven't heard an orchestrated version (or any other version for that matter) that really does it justice. I think The World's Enemy comes fairly close, but I think to capture the original version "properly" requires instruments broader than what is found in your traditional western orchestra :P. To me, it doesn't even sound like a western song. To me it has an egyptian / middle-eastern flavour. Like something that would've been played in ancient times.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Dissidia Version, Advent Children Version, Crisis Core Version, and Kingdom Hearts Final Mix Version of One Winged Angel are my favorites.

I'm wondering what the Remake version will sound like when it comes out.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
ACC version the whole way.

I've always thought it's cool how if you put the different One-Winged Angel versions in order chronologically, (CC, OG, ACC) the the music style gets more and more discordant and fragmented as it goes, which perfectly mirrors Sephiroth's declining sanity. The CC version is all orchestral and has the least dissonance in it. The OG's version has gotten grander in feel and more discordant, but it's still all orchestral (especially the Reunion Tracks version). By the time ACC comes, the dissonance is so great that the orchestra has been joined by a rock band.

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
I love the orchestrated version Uematsu did, I just wish it were longer.

And both of the AC versions are good, but I think I like the original one just a tad more than the ACC one because the rock elements in it aren't toned down.

Honestly, I love them all, it's hard to choose just one.

Unit-01

Might be around.
AKA
Sic, Anthony

Yea this has been one of my thoughts concerning Remake. Since the PSX trailer was the Distant Worlds version of the Opening Bombing mission I'd like to think it'd be the same.

However people have said the use of Distant worlds was temporary so it'll be interesting to hear once the final part of the Remake releases and the screen fades to black after Bizarro Sephiroth.

(Admittedly tho - who here isn't excited to see everything remade?)

Two versions I personally like of One Winged Angel are...

edit - Second one wouldn't work, but it was Smooth McGroove's version.

Daikini-San

AKA
Iku-Ne
ACC version the whole way.

I've always thought it's cool how if you put the different One-Winged Angel versions in order chronologically, (CC, OG, ACC) the the music style gets more and more discordant and fragmented as it goes, which perfectly mirrors Sephiroth's declining sanity. The CC version is all orchestral and has the least dissonance in it. The OG's version has gotten grander in feel and more discordant, but it's still all orchestral (especially the Reunion Tracks version). By the time ACC comes, the dissonance is so great that the orchestra has been joined by a rock band.

That's a very interesting observation! :o I have to listen to the songs in order this time. :) So where would Dissidia version stand? I don't feel it has that much dissonance, but it feels powerful and there's a sense of determination behind it. :)

Daikini-San

AKA
Iku-Ne
Still new to the forum ^^; I don't think I responded to this post correctly so it'll be below.

Daikini-San

AKA
Iku-Ne

Yea this has been one of my thoughts concerning Remake. Since the PSX trailer was the Distant Worlds version of the Opening Bombing mission I'd like to think it'd be the same.

However people have said the use of Distant worlds was temporary so it'll be interesting to hear once the final part of the Remake releases and the screen fades to black after Bizarro Sephiroth.

(Admittedly tho - who here isn't excited to see everything remade?)

Two versions I personally like of One Winged Angel are...

edit - Second one wouldn't work, but it was Smooth McGroove's version.
Oh my god that guy is amazing. :) Is the Distance Worlds version the one used in Dissidia? :o

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
It's a different recording but same arrangement, see my comment above.

Lex

Administrator
The orchestral version without the teenage metal attached a la Advent Children.

So I pretty much agree with Ite. This is the best sounding version:

Top Bottom