• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Mako Addiction

Purple

Charmed
Okay. This has been bugging me somewhat. Why did they say that Cloud had a severe case of Mako addiction?

Addiction? Is that the correct word to use? Shouldn't it be Mako toxicity instead?

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Mako poisoning would be correct.

The use of the word "addiction" in CC was really stupid. Cloud's not high on Mako, dammit xD

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Yeah I never understood why they called it Mako Addiction, either. Mako Poisoning would have been more correct, and isn't that what they say in the original game? :/

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
"Sweet Mako eases the pain". :loopy:

But yes, it doesn't make sense. He wasn't addicted to the substance. He wasn't dependent on it or conscious enough to crave it. It had expunged his mind, which is why 'Mako poisoning' was the apt term.

The translator probably didn't know what he was doing; which I guess we can forgive since the translation was good (...right?) throughout the game.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I felt that CC's translation was very good. Mako Addiction is the only hiccup that I could tell.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Mako poisoning would be correct.

The use of the word "addiction" in CC was really stupid. Cloud's not high on Mako, dammit xD

Maaaaaaaaan.

This is some good shit.

C-Can, C-can, Hey, HEY, I'm talking to you man.

Can you believe this shit comes out the planet? I could ride this shit all the way to the promised land homie.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
It's probably meant to represent how it affects the system. Since ShinRa showers SOLDIER in Mako, it wouldn't makes sense that it's poisonous, since it helps to enhance them & gives the that glow in their eyes.

Mako Addiction (however much I hate the sound of it) shows that Cloud is suffering from some sort of withdrawl from being constantly bathed with Mako Energy inside the ShinRa Manor - thus his weakness. It's a more clear explanation, but damn, it just doesn't sound good. I think that "Mako Withdrawls" would sound a bit better, but he'd be suffering from withdrawls because of a Mako Addiction, so the term is still technically correct as far as I can tell.

Can hitshura or anyone get an official translation of the original text?

X :neo:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I always assumed that too much Mako is where the poisoning came from. Sure Mako is used on members of SOLDIER but probably only to a certain extent. Too much can be a bad thing, such as how if you drink too much alcohol you die.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Of CC?

'Makou chuudoku' (魔晄中毒) is the original term. 'Chuudoku' is used for both poisoning (food or gas) and addictions (drugs or alcohol). It's for something that does into your body and does harm.

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
He's not dependent on the Mako, X. He's experiencing the Mako equivalent of a hangover. That doesn't count as an addiction.

Restless

That One Person
AKA
WAW
I always assumed that after spending so much time in mako, Cloud's body became very used to it and craved it. In essence, his body became addicted to it, and he suffered withdrawal effects after being taken away from it.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
No, the state he is in is not a withdrawal, it comes from the knowledge contained in the lifestream which is causing an overload in his brain.

The Deepground SOLDIERs seem to be dependent on it, but that's different from what Cloud is suffering.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Do we have any clarification on the term used by the DG soldiers & what was afflicting Cloud? (or any explanation on the effects rfom the original Japanese text?)

X :neo:

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
*Mako poisoning*
The Lifestream is the place to which all life returns, and, as a result, it is
overflowing with knowledge. Consequently, when one falls in the Lifestream,
the surge of information entering their head exceeds their brain's tolerance
level and the danger of their mind shattering becomes high. The state in which
one's mind has collapsed like this is called "mako poisoning," and doesn't
happen only by falling into the Lifestream, but also through being exposed to
mako. Cloud has suffered from this condition on 2 occasions.

Calenlass

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Cal mostly everyone, Calenlass_Greenleaf for fanfic, calen_greenleaf for LJ
Addiction? I've always referred to it as poisoning. Though I have read a couple of fanfics that make mako an addiction...never figured what would happen if the withdrawal cause death; none of those stories were finished.

Andalegogo

Rueful Figure
Hitoshura's post makes it seem as though "addiction" and "poisoning" are interchangeable in Japanese. But is there ever any indication on whether what the DG troops have is actually different from what Cloud and the other Sephiroth Clones had?

All the Seph Clones definitely fit into the description of someone who is poisoned, rather than being addicted. The DG troops, including Shelke, are the opposite since they are described as being very dependent on Mako infusion.

'Course, I guess there wouldn't be any need to indicate any difference, seeing as the Japanese wouldn't see the point. I guess the way they see it is that the Seph Clones and the DG troops have simply been "harmed" by the Mako infusions, and the character applied suits that description well enough.

Since our language allows to differentiate between the two conditions, we might as well apply them as best we can.

Sephiroth Clones and Cloud got Mako Poisoning.
DG Troops and Shelke got Mako Addiction.

Would it be too much to include that somewhere in the UOG sections???
Or maybe that's tampering a wee too much with official infos?????

hmmm....

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
Judging from some of the trips Cloud had, I'd like to have a Mako addiction.

brb oding on Mako :monster:

Top Bottom