The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Compilation of Final Fantasy VII > News & Articles

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02/14/2017   #16
Flintlock
Default

iTech Post: Final Fantasy VII Dataminers Reveals Hidden Scenes And Other Features
Flintlock is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 7:
Cthulhu (02/14/2017), Dark and Divine (02/14/2017), Lex (02/14/2017), Octo (02/14/2017), Shademp (02/14/2017), Teioh (02/14/2017), The Twilight Mexican (02/14/2017)
Old 02/14/2017   #17
Shademp
Default

The morning after Lex told me about the NeoGAF thread I went ahead and made an update to the Honey Bee Inn article that I should have made five years ago: Re-correcting the kanji and including the story of how Asa found the logic to restore the faulty Japanese text of fields ONNA_1 and ONNA_6.

The section "The Garbled Honey Bee Inn Text" of Part 4 has been redone and now reads like this:

The Garbled Honey Bee Inn Text


Japanese is written with three writing systems: kanji, katakana, and hiragana. These “alphabets” are stored within tables in the game’s code. While the location of each katakana and hiragana character in the game code remained the same throughout development, new kanji characters were evidentially inserted in the kanji table closer to FFVII’s completion, displacing the characters that formerly occupied their spot. This causes dialogue written at an earlier time in development to be displayed incorrectly. How did we go about to correct the messy kanji of the fields ONNA_1 and ONNA_6?

Initially, the process was mostly a mixture of guesswork and pattern recognition. There was a logical way to figure out some of the kanji, though. In the original Japanese release, the maps JUNBIN21 and WHITEBG1 also had faulty kanji. By comparing this with their corrected counterparts in the second Japanese release, FFVII:International, GlitterBerri could discern a partial “key” to correct the Japanese text of ONNA_1 and ONNA_6.

Then the process became more refined and had most of its guesswork removed when Qhimm member Asa stepped in. He observed that in Kazushige Nojima’s debug room, BLACKBG5, Nojima had left behind an older version of the Japanese font tables. This included an earlier version of the kanji table! By talking to Zangan in the Japanese versions of the debug room, you can read this lengthy table of symbols which occupies numerous pages of dialogue windows.


After extracting this older symbol table from the debug room and comparing it with the actual table used in the final game, Asa observed a pattern in the shift of Identification Numbers for the symbols… A pattern that matched how the kanji was displaced in ONNA_1, ONNA_6, JUNBIN21 and WHITEBG1.

With Asa’s logical approach, almost all guesswork was removed from the process of correcting the Japanese text. You can read Asa’s incredible work in this Geocities page.

Thus it was that even the unused nonsense text of the Honey Bee Inn became restored and could be properly translated. Quite an epic tale, isn’t it?

I should technically have the ONNA_1 and ONNA_6 text retranslated, but for now I'm only bothering with awaiting translations to fill in the blanks where previously the kanji had not been deciphered at all.
__________________
My YouTube Channel!
FINAL FANTASY VII UNCOVERED
Clement Rage wrote: All hail Shademp, God of Dirge.

Last edited by Shademp; 02/14/2017 at 06:23 PM.
Shademp is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
Dark and Divine (02/14/2017), Lex (02/14/2017), Octo (02/14/2017), The Twilight Mexican (02/15/2017)
Old 02/14/2017   #18
Lex
Default

Shademp, how do you feel now that your new name is "dataminers"? XD
__________________


Especially for me, by the awesome GLD!
Serving legendaries with mah Pokécrew.
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 6:
Cthulhu (02/14/2017), Dark and Divine (02/14/2017), Flintlock (02/14/2017), Octo (02/14/2017), Shademp (02/14/2017), The Twilight Mexican (02/15/2017)
Old 02/14/2017   #19
Shademp
Default

Lex wrote: Shademp, how do you feel now that your new name is "dataminers"? XD
Well, since becoming plural we feel less lonely. We are Shademp and we are dataminers.

I'm taking the moment to step down my ego though. I received a lot of essential help during this project and I stood on the modding software created by giants. Without their skill and knowledge, the Unused Text Series could not have existed. I am also thankful to the audience, and that thelifestream.net exists. I can't think of a better or even an equally proper site to host the content on.
__________________
My YouTube Channel!
FINAL FANTASY VII UNCOVERED
Clement Rage wrote: All hail Shademp, God of Dirge.
Shademp is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 7:
Cthulhu (02/14/2017), Dark and Divine (02/14/2017), Flintlock (02/14/2017), Lex (02/14/2017), Octo (02/14/2017), Teioh (02/14/2017), The Twilight Mexican (02/15/2017)
Old 02/14/2017   #20
Cthulhu
Default

TheUnusedTextSeries.net?
Cthulhu is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Octo (02/14/2017), The Twilight Mexican (02/15/2017)
Old 02/15/2017   #21
Strangelove
Default

Shademp wrote: The morning after Lex told me about the NeoGAF thread I went ahead and made an update to the Honey Bee Inn article that I should have made five years ago: Re-correcting the kanji and including the story of how Asa found the logic to restore the faulty Japanese text of fields ONNA_1 and ONNA_6.

The section "The Garbled Honey Bee Inn Text" of Part 4 has been redone and now reads like this:

The Garbled Honey Bee Inn Text


Japanese is written with three writing systems: kanji, katakana, and hiragana. These “alphabets” are stored within tables in the game’s code. While the location of each katakana and hiragana character in the game code remained the same throughout development, new kanji characters were evidentially inserted in the kanji table closer to FFVII’s completion, displacing the characters that formerly occupied their spot. This causes dialogue written at an earlier time in development to be displayed incorrectly. How did we go about to correct the messy kanji of the fields ONNA_1 and ONNA_6?

Initially, the process was mostly a mixture of guesswork and pattern recognition. There was a logical way to figure out some of the kanji, though. In the original Japanese release, the maps JUNBIN21 and WHITEBG1 also had faulty kanji. By comparing this with their corrected counterparts in the second Japanese release, FFVII:International, GlitterBerri could discern a partial “key” to correct the Japanese text of ONNA_1 and ONNA_6.

Then the process became more refined and had most of its guesswork removed when Qhimm member Asa stepped in. He observed that in Kazushige Nojima’s debug room, BLACKBG5, Nojima had left behind an older version of the Japanese font tables. This included an earlier version of the kanji table! By talking to Zangan in the Japanese versions of the debug room, you can read this lengthy table of symbols which occupies numerous pages of dialogue windows.


After extracting this older symbol table from the debug room and comparing it with the actual table used in the final game, Asa observed a pattern in the shift of Identification Numbers for the symbols… A pattern that matched how the kanji was displaced in ONNA_1, ONNA_6, JUNBIN21 and WHITEBG1.

With Asa’s logical approach, almost all guesswork was removed from the process of correcting the Japanese text. You can read Asa’s incredible work in this Geocities page.

Thus it was that even the unused nonsense text of the Honey Bee Inn became restored and could be properly translated. Quite an epic tale, isn’t it?

I should technically have the ONNA_1 and ONNA_6 text retranslated, but for now I'm only bothering with awaiting translations to fill in the blanks where previously the kanji had not been deciphered at all.
that screen shot looks like the kanji for various summons and limit breaks but minus any hiragana/katakana or repeated characters (i can see ifrit and ramuh and odin's and cloud and yuffie's limits at a glance/i don't remember the rest of the names now), but i don't know if that is relevant info or not
__________________
「こんなヒトにはなりたくなかったよ――」
Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (02/15/2017)
Old 03/14/2017   #22
Shademp
Default

*Using this as the default thread for revisiting the article series*


Though I'm not happy to revisit the underwear topic, I have to share the comment I just received to my Waiting Room, Honey Bee Inn - FFVII Unlocked video.
Kieran Owens wrote: It's a common joke in Japan for adult women to wear panties with a childish pattern. They're not Marlenes.
It would certainly make more sense that the panty-stealer would be able to distinguish between child-size underwear and adult-size underwear.

Though at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if Toriyama intentionally wanted to make the true origins of the panties uncertain, since they are called "Mystery Panties" [入手先不明パンツ, lit. "Panties of Unknown Origin"]. This despite, from my impression, the NPC seemingly communicating that he believes these to be Tifa's panties.
「ひそひそ……
 (これさ、セブンスヘブンって
 TIFAちゃんのお店の裏の
 ものほしざおからしっけいしたものさ。
 正真しょうめいのほんものだぜ)」

Psst…
(Snitched these from the
clothesline out back of Tifa’s shop,
Seventh Heaven.
It’s the real thing.)
The comment to my YouTube video is the first I hear that it's a joke that adult women would wear panties with a childish design. The interpretation seems valid, but I'd need further feedback on the topic before I change the commentary in the article to reflect Kieran Owen's viewpoint.

Edit: It is also possible that they are called 'Mystery Panties' because you don't know if you can trust the story by the red jacket NPC.
__________________
My YouTube Channel!
FINAL FANTASY VII UNCOVERED
Clement Rage wrote: All hail Shademp, God of Dirge.

Last edited by Shademp; 03/14/2017 at 07:54 AM.
Shademp is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (03/14/2017)
Reply
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:10 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.