Art Competition idea.

Ghost X

For those of us who are artistically inclined (which seems to be a fair few, considering the amount of topics in the creativity section), I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a little art competition, or series of such. May not even have to be a competition, just an exercise in conceptualisation or just plain old fan art-ing. You be the judge :P.

Art can be a personal thing, and so a competition may discourage participation, which isn't what I'm aiming for. What I am aiming for is to get our creative juices flowing and seeing some interesting stuff people can produce. May possibly attract attention to the TLS site too.

Anyways, I was thinking people come up with ideas for themes, and we agree on one or whatever, and we go about and produce an artwork with said theme. For example, "What if character X had a job class Y, what would they look like?"

So yeah, what do you peoples think?

I agree that it shouldn't be a competition, for the reason you gave: people would get discouraged. There shouldn't be any judging, but only constructive criticism.

In the fanfiction world we have a lot of "prompt" communities, and I also belong to a community which regular sets themes, topics or prompts. The last one I entered was "Write a Diary entry for a Final Fantasy Character".

There's a huge amount of visual arts talent on this forum. I'd definitely support an initiative of this kind. I might even draw something.

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
Could do a different one each week, not a competition per se, but there could be a category in the TLS Awards for most visually pleasing artwork. That way, memorable sketches could be recognised and archived in a thread without commentary like the Member Picture Thread.

I like and approve of the idea Ghost.

Kuroto

Pro Adventurer
This sounds great! I'd definitely try to draw something for this. But once a week would probably be a bit too fast paced for me. I like to take my time, and at least at the moment I'm too busy.

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
Well, that was just an idea. In all honesty I wouldn't be able to contribute every week (still haven't finished my Dissidia artwork FFS), but keeping it rolling along would hopefully stop the thread from fading into obscurity.

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
Love the idea. I always love to see artworks of TLS members. I may also participate (depending on the challenge ofc)

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
"What if character X had a job class Y, what would they look like?"

Also, "what if character X swapped costumes with character Y"

/evilgrin

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Yeah I love this idea too, though I'd rather that it wasn't a compettition, just something where we all do something from a prompt/theme. And maybe have it as a monthy or every 2 weeks or something. I dunno if I could keep up otherwise (tbh I probably wont be able to keep up regardless but you guys should totally do it!)

Also I read this the other day and it struck a chord:

This is very true and i hope it helps some of you. This is a repost from the blog Muddy Colors. A very inspirational quote from Ira Glass-

"Nobody tells this to people who are beginners, I wish someone told me. All of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But there is this gap. For the first couple years you make stuff, it's just not that good. It's trying to be good, it has potential, but it's not. But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. A lot of people never get past this phase, they quit. Most people I know who do interesting, creative work went through years of this. We know our work doesn't have this special thing that we want it to have. We all go through this. And if you are just starting out or you are still in this phase, you gotta know its normal and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work. Put yourself on a deadline so that every week you will finish one piece. It is only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions. And I took longer to figure out how to do this than anyone I've ever met. It's gonna take awhile. It's normal to take awhile. You've just gotta fight your way through."

http://vikingmyke.deviantart.com/journal/?offset=1

Yeah, so I'm a totall hypocrite because I'm still going to sit on my hands, but I thought that made a lot of sense :monster:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
I remember that post from Ira Glass from a while back. Really something magical there, although it pertained more to writing fiction, of course.

Lex

Administrator
A great idea. Make it FF related or even just video game related with some FF stuff thrown in and it would look great on the Front page. Maybe not a competition, but the best one or the one that everyone likes the most could be the featured image on the news post?

Ghost X

Seems like there is a bit of interest (hoorah!), so if weekly is too frequent, how about fortnightly? Feel free to brain storm some themes too. Your suggestion has been noted, Satsu >.> :awesome:. Another idea for the deciding of theme selection could be a random draw, using random.org, or something? Unless people are happier with the vote.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I like the idea of this. I would make a few of them geared towards people who aren't good at traditionally drawing stuff as well. Other mediums we could look at could be typography and logo design. That way, it's not the same medium every time. I like the length of every 2 weeks/ monthly. Not only do I have my own projects to do, I have all my school's projects as well.

Octo, that quote is made of awesome.

Ghost X

@Danseru: If it is not a competition, then people could also do quick sketches, not worrying about quality or whatever. Everyone can draw stick people :wacky:.

@Obsidian Fire: That's a really good idea =).

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
I like the idea of a thread mastermind (Ghost I'm looking at you) who chucks out themes at random. That way people can't just vote for something in their comfort zone, but they have the option of not participating.

Ghost X

Well, I've made a long list of ideas including those mentioned. If people are happy for me to pick a theme, I will. Feel free to continue with theme suggestions though.

Yes, one person should pick the theme or prompt. That's the challenge: you have to work with what you get or not at all. But it shouldn't always be the same person. I'm sure Ghost will want to participate and it won't be so much fun for him if he's always picking the theme. Another way would be to rotate the task of choosing the theme around the forum cmmunity. You don't have to be a participating artist to choose a theme.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Whence are we doing this thens? I have 15ml of creative juice I want to use up asap :monster:

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
Whence are we doing this thens? I have 15ml of creative juice I want to use up asap :monster:

Take 15ml of creative juice
1 teaspoon of lemon juice
1 shot Amaretto
1 shot vodka
Glass with sugared rim
Grated lemon rind

Combine the ingredients in the glass, stir with a half-chewed HB pencil , drink in one then repeat seven times and start drawing. :monster:

So apparently this is now a thing in some fandoms

http://www.dailydot.com/culture/letsdrawsherlock-tumblr-fanart-challenge/

All participating artists draw the same character in the same pose, but each in their own unique style. From what I can see from the ones I've looked at, the pose is usually both typical of the character and fairly easy to draw (vaulting onto the back of a chocobo while firing a gun at the enemy approaching from behind would not be easy to draw, for me anyway!) If we are looking for ideas, we could do this. We could either alldraw the same character, or we could pick a pose and then draw any of the playable characters (and Turks/Rufus/Shinra execs) in that pose.

Just a thought.

Pixel

The Pixie King
If you guys want to have a comp to design the cover for the Case of Shinra audiobook, it would be awesome

Ghost X

^Sounds like an idea. Perhaps you could organise that one, seeing it is a comp?

I like your idea, LicoriceAllsorts, better than the one I had planned for this week, so... I'll go with yours :awesome:. As said earlier, peoples, don't be afraid to make suggestions.

Top Bottom