Should We Cover More General FF?

Should we cover non-FFVII content in News Posts?

• No, we should stick to VII Centric

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Yes, but FF-related content only

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • Yes, within the JRPG genre

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Yes, any game

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lex

Administrator
No matter what, we're going to stay VII-Centric in terms of content. However, in writing news posts we generally stick to stuff that is at least relatable in some way to the Compilation.

This is a poll for all. Should we start writing news posts for non-FFVII titles on the front page? Bear in mind we have done this in the past, but as a site tend to flip flop on the issue, so this is to decide that overall for the future.

Get voting :)

EDIT: Poll will close on Sunday 26th August to give everyone a chance to respond and discuss :)
Poll is anonymous for the duration of the vote until voting ends where names will be checked to ensure there's no tomfoolery.

Last edited:

Fangu

Great Old One
Can I just add that I don't like the options of this poll? 1 of them is 'no', 3 is 'yes'. I don't have one that suits what I'd choose, which is 'No, but stories with some sort of reference to VII is fine'. Like when we've been writing about Kingdom Hearts in the Weekly Roundups, or making a story about 'VII producer says VII inspired new game' or whatnot. It's kind of in the genre of 'keeping the legacy of VII alive'.

Because the 'no' option, as is now, looks like 'this is the option we certainly don't want you to pick'. Not saying that's how it was intended. Just saying that's what it looks like to me.

fhtagn :monster:

Lex

Administrator
I get what you're saying, but the no option includes articles which reference FFVII like the articles you're talking about. It's difficult when writing to find a way to relate everything to FFVII tbh - but I can definitely add the option to the poll if you think it's a good idea? It just seemed kind of pointless to me.

Fangu

Great Old One
idk, it's just the way you capitalized the A in Absolute. It's kind of saying 'if you choose this option, you don't want to change things because you don't like change'.

But, hey, your choice. Don't ask me again if I think you should change it, because I already stated pretty clearly I think you should :P

Edit: Like in, 'No, I think we should stick to VII Centric'

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
I'll be sure not to let any more questions slip out then? lmao. I asked because I was wondering if you thought it should be changed, I was more looking for "this question should be added" rather than "don't ask me again".

I will uncapitalise the "A", and know that pushing people to vote a certain way wasn't my intention. If we stick with VII-centric stuff I'm happy with that for the record.

EDIT: I've edited to include your phrasing :)

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
I feel like the options could be a bit better worded as well.

For instance "with in RPG genre". I kind of want to vote for this one but my ideal content would be RPG Genre with in the SE brand. Where as the option seems to be more for RPG's under any company.

Think there should be a "SE franchises" as well as "With in RPG genre"

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
"Yes, any game" - it'll be a cold day in hell before you catch me writing a post about the new Call of Duty game for TLS.

I think the absolute most we should consider is covering other Square games, like Gabe said. But my own vote is probably going to be for other Final Fantasy stuff only.

Lex

Administrator
I feel like the options could be a bit better worded as well.

For instance "with in RPG genre". I kind of want to vote for this one but my ideal content would be RPG Genre with in the SE brand. Where as the option seems to be more for RPG's under any company.

Think there should be a "SE franchises" as well as "With in RPG genre"

Well yeah I get what you're saying, but maybe just change it to jRPGs because I don't know if staying under the SE umbrella would be all that helpful? For example if we were to cover general jRPG's who's to say that all of SE's deserve the focus?

EDIT: I'm not for covering "Any Game" either, it was just to give people more options :D

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
I'm with Gabe. We should open coverage up to Square Enix games in general. Mostly Bravely Default and Kingdom Hearts, and maybe Dragon Quest. I really like the World of Mana series but there probably isn't much of an audience for it.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I'm okay with branching out to other game and related stuff that interests our community, which is probably too wide to get an exact definition of (not to mention it's also up to the author of articles to write about / be interested in).

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I voted "Yes within the JRPG genre," but what I really mean is "Yes, within games with kinship or synergy with the FF series" -- which itself isn't just JRPGs at this point, and which has cousins like the Mana series and "Bravely Default" within Square itself, and "Lost Odyssey" and "The Last Story" from other companies.

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
^I support this too but I think it's a bit too ambiguous. For example, Valkyria Chronicles is a fantastic game and I'd love to write more about it. It's a tactical JRPG and in many ways it actually reminded me of my first experience with FF7. This is why I wrote a review for it on Gamerspective.

However, I voted to keep to general FF. And the reason I did that is because I don't want to skew our coverage just yet. I wouldn't stop anyone who wrote an article about a game outside the FF genre as long as they worked to relate the article to FF in some way.

I guess we should wait until Sunday to set the iron clad rules since that's when voting closes.

Top Bottom