"Final Fantasy VII Lateral Biography: TURKS - The Kids Are Alright"

@Hito

I definitely think you should publish a complementary "Translator's Notes" to The Kids Are Alright. Both those who know nothing of translations and those who do it themselves eat up this content like it was the finest chocolate.

The feature might start with a few general comments about the translation process, then end with four or so examples of where certain freedoms were taken. The 'let a chocobo guard their greens' could be in this list. By choosing a limited number of examples you prevent the notes from becoming the size of a book in its own right, plus you won't become too distracted from the actual translation work.

Just sayin'. I'd love to see "behind the scenes" features like this on TLS.

When it comes to having a hard time deducing who says what in the English language (but not so in Japanese due to pronouns etc), how about including a name in brackets before or after a sentence?
{Bob} "Bla bla."
{Steve} "Bleh bleh."
{Anne} "Bluh bluh."

I see how this might not be aesthetically pleasing (and inconsistent because it's not always there) but with brief foreword that explains the reasoning behind such a step, I would personally welcome it. Would certainly make OtWtaS easier to read, at least. The translations also are not intended for printing, which is another reason why I would not mind an added name in brackets before some of the bits where it is difficult to keep track of who is talking.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I had decided to go with adding more natural elements to signal it. There was an example of this in OTWTAS (Episode Tifa) I noticed when looking at the translation from the US collector's edition when Barret says that he wants to "settle up on his life":

「落とし前って――それなら、わたしだって」 (Settle up... In that case, I also [want to])

In Japanese that's clearly Tifa speaking, as indicated by the use of the pronoun わたし. There isn't any need to indicate who is talking. But that might not come across if you just straight forward put the words into English. Cloud had just nodded, he could be agreeing with Barret (IIRC, some people read the original fan translation this way).

So to solve this, the collector's edition translation did this:

"What about me?" asked Tifa. "You think I don't?"

It's an elegant solution, and keeps with the conventions of prose. Something that wouldn't be out of place in a published book is my intention when doing translation like this, so I like to keep to standards such as this. You get the same effect, and you don't necessarily need to have it one every time (if Tifa asks this in response to Barret, you don't have to say that the one who is replying is Barret because that's expected).

Pixel

The Pixie King
In the japanese, is there any indication of when we're reading a character's thoughts? In english it would usually be put in Italics. There are parts with Elena where im not quite sure. :/

Also, you've used the word hypers. Should that be 'stimulants'? I guess fans would know what a hyper is though. In case of shinra, they refer to them as stimulants in both german and xcomps english translation. Not sure about the original.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
There's no typographic indication to show it, but you can tell by how it sounds. It will sound more like they are speaking to someone.

For Elena's, it was clear from how it was written in this line:

「わたしは――」悔しいんです。
“I was—“ I couldn't stand it.

The part outside the quote marks doesn't sound like the rest of the non-speech prose, but more like she is speaking to Tseng.

Pixel

The Pixie King
I notice in xcomps translations, sometimes things were written from the characters perspective which werent meant to be, or vice versa. Kinda made it awkward putting together scripts for the actors :/

Pixel

The Pixie King
What are the pronunciations of the names, like Kyrie and Keough? I read them as Keerie and Keyo. Had a few auditions with all sorts of pronunciations lol, so its got me doubting myself :P

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Off the top of my head, I know Kyrie is pronounced "kee-ree-ay," though I want to pronounce it like "Kairi" from Kingdom Hearts every time I see it

Can't remember Keough without checking, but I think you guys are right.

Fangu

Great Old One
Well it all depends, doesn't it, because the Japanese will pronounce it one way, English speakers another. Jap will probably pronounce it as Shademp does, myself I would do the same if I read it in a Norwegian text. But in this English one I too have been reading it as "Kairi". Someone just has to decide, so I guess it's up to Pixel :)

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I pronounce Kyrie like 'kyrie eleison' (if you listen the 'Hellfire' from Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame, it's in the background chorus there [/man i love that song]).

For the other, like 'key-oh'.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Kee-ree-ay? I pronounce it like in the latin "kyrie eleison". Küü-rii-eeh.

Greek, actually, but I take your point :monster: And I'm not sure there's an appreciable difference in the pronunciations there, but I assume that's what they're referencing with the name.

Pixel

The Pixie King
Hmmmm I just noticed, the description of the leather jacket says it's "A pale brown leather jacket." but the cover has it black.

I actually prefer it black... just planning out the cover art and the picture of the bomb on the back would look so much better on black.

Im tempted to just change it to black for the audiobook version

Pixel

The Pixie King
I was doing some narration as Evan yesterday and noticed at the end of chapter 1, it says that he'll talk about everything that happened to him and stuff he shouldn't know about, or something. So I can actually narrate it in an informal way as Evan, rather than it shifting from Evan to narrator and back, since it's all Evan's telling of the events.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I would personally go with what the text says rather than the cover image regarding the jacket, but it is ultimately down to you.

Ivette

Donator
These really are my 5 favourite chapters of a novel! I´m reading them over and over again! I really love see the Turks acting like Turks (finally!) And I would never imagine that Evan could being so interesting, I believe that is a wonderful character... He is all the time acting like a badass, but actually still a coward! :P

Thank you so,so much Hito for letting us enjoy this :)

Ivette

Donator
It´ is really wonderful know that there remain 41 chapters to translate, because that mean that we still having Turks and Evan for long!
But also, means that the only one that can do its magic and translate them, Hito, has a really hard work to do. That´s why I would like to help in any way that I can to make it easier. :P
If I could do a donation of money, to help you with the expenses that you have in your day life, it would be a pleasure for me!
There is no doubt that in case of this book were in the book stores, we would have to pay 10-15 dollars for it (at least).
Everytime that I buy something, I like see that money that I pay like a "thank you for all your work translating, editing and selling this, so I can have it right now in my hands", no just as "waste of money", you know? ^_^)
I´ve decided that from now on, I will save some of the money that I spend when I go out with friends and bought Coca-cola, or some drink while we spend the time. :D
I´m sure that every month I can save at least 5 or 2 dollars! And it would be great give them for you! :-) :moar:

Thank you, thank you really much for all, Hito!

Soakette

Donator
AKA
Jess
As we discussed before I wanted to donate as well but I can't donate my money to something that wont get done by a certain deadline. When you go to store and pay that money, you have that book in your hands , the whole thing, and can read it right away, whenever you like. At this rate, 5 chapters in 2 years, this book will be done in about 4-5 years probably. I'm not trying to be a bitch or offend anyone. I am sure Hito has other things going on and your life should be your first priority always. I just love the Turks and really want this donneeee!

Pixel

The Pixie King
Ive ordered the book from Japan. Hopefully it will be with me by the end of the month. I should be able to help with the translation... I think.

Top Bottom