• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

“You will not be spoiled unless you click on the threads and read them.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
…this isn’t strictly true. :smashedmonster: If you hover over the thread titles, the forum software will display a preview of the thread title, and if you read that, you’ll get spoiled, too. :wackymonster: I mean, you’d still have to read it… but the previews might take some people by surprise if they don’t know about them. :closedmonster:

It’s probably a bit late for it to affect much, but it might still be worth revising that announcement, because better late than never I guess. :reapermon: It seems these work even for guests, judging from a quick jaunt into incognito mode, so it’s possible fixing the announcement may still prevent one or two people from getting spoiled. :mightyshield:

Last edited:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
If you have no prior indication that hovering over a thread title displays a preview of the thread contents, then yes, you should be. :monster: Again, I’m proposing amending this specifically for the benefit of people who “don’t know about” the previews – i.e., have never visited the board before. People who know how the interface works obviously shouldn’t be surprised by that, but someone who’s never visited the board before might have no idea that it matters where they rest their mouse cursors, because a lot of forum software (e.g., older versions of vBulletin, phpBB, etc.) doesn’t have thread previews. :rorschach:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Evidently not, since I already received two post likes for this thread. I realise it’s obnoxious to bring such an argument into this, but presumably they wouldn’t have liked my post if they didn’t think I raised a valid point. :mightyshield: …and frankly, it’s no more obnoxious than telling someone else “your [sic] the only one who has an issue with this”, without the slightest bit of evidence for that assertion. :kermit: Just because you don’t have an issue with something doesn’t mean other people won’t.

More importantly, I also just realised it’s not even just thread title previews. Searching someone’s posts will also display a preview of every post they make, including those made in spoiler threads. Again, this is something newcomers won’t know. (TBH, I didn’t think about it myself until I’d searched my own posts after posting in a spoiler thread, since I wasn’t running searches on other people’s.) Now, granted, it might be a matter of common sense not to read below that, but the eye doesn’t necessarily read text in a linear fashion, and a person might catch a glimpse of something before they know to turn back.

This whole interface leaves a bit to be desired still. :closedmonster: But if nothing else, revising the announcement will at least forewarn people of its limitations.

Last edited:

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
Rrrriiiiigggghhhhhhhhttttttttttt.
Have fun with that mate XD

Going by the majority of your posts/threads I've seen it just looks like your going out of your way to point at flaws for no particular reason.

Like I get trying to help out the community and all but for the most part the site admins have done a great job with the migration from the old site and any user feedback was listened to and addressed way back when the board was brought across from the older format.

Kinda just begs the question of whether folk had issues with these things before why hasn't anyone raised it prior to now?

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
:prefacepalm:

Don’t put words into my mouth. I never said or even implied that the staff haven’t done a great job handling things like this overall. I wasn’t around for nearly five years, though, so I wasn’t around to give feedback on the board migration. (Which was mostly handled fine, as far as I can tell – literally the only significant complaint I have about it is the missing Thanks. Which I offered to help find a way to import, so it’s not like I was just idly complaining without offering to help with a solution.)

And really, you’ve got a lot of nerve accusing me of going out of my way to point at flaws when you’ve been doing that with every single response you’ve made to one of my posts. What the fuck does the board migration have to do with this? It’s an issue with the release of a new game which hasn’t even been out for a month. This would’ve been just as much an issue on vBulletin (at least the thread preview and search issues would’ve been); it has nothing to do with something that happened (I’m assuming) years ago.

Really, who pissed in your cheerios this morning? The staff are grown adults. They’re perfectly capable of defending themselves, and if they feel inclined to do so, they’ll probably do a better job of it besides. But frankly, I don’t expect them to respond defensively like you’ve been doing. They’re a lot likelier to simply take the constructive feedback in the spirit it’s intended. I don’t know what your problem with me is, or why you felt inclined to respond as defensively as you did, but it really doesn’t seem helpful.

…also, “latest activity” also has the same issue; in fact it’s almost all likes of people’s posts in spoiler threads, so it’s almost all spoilers. :kermit:Perhaps people should just be discouraged from searching the board if they don’t want spoilers, at least until this all dies down. Though I guess for “latest activity”, at least, you won’t see anything unless you’re logged in.

Last edited:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Yeah this was an issue I ran into back with the leaks thread. Accidentally spoiled Red XIII's new design for myself.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
…yeah, like I said, I knew I wasn’t the only person who could’ve had an issue with it. :manhattan:

Lex

Administrator
To be clear, there was a community discussion surrounding this and this was pointed out during a spoilers testing phase. There is a mandate that spoilers be avoided within the first few lines of an OP in a thread posted in the spoilers section - this was detailed in a previous announcement (before you returned).

This thread has run its course :monster:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom