3 people who quickly googled Final Fantasy 7 talk FF7 on a BBC podcast

AerithLives

Pro Adventurer
It starts off pretty appalling but gets mildly better.

Apologies for the spelling error in the title. It's causing me physical pain not being able to edit it.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Yeah, it's the one where they go "barret is the only character that uses a gun."

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I don't get it. It's not inaccurate, they've obviously all have played the game. Except for certain stuff about development that is either made up or I've never heard of, there's nothing that really stands out as totally wrong. Other than that it's a pretty decent breakdown of the games impact.

I know this is an FF7 forum but are we really at that level of nit-picky cringe-nerddom? o_O

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
I don't get it. It's not inaccurate, they've obviously all have played the game. Except for certain stuff about development that is either made up or I've never heard of, there's nothing that really stands out as totally wrong. Other than that it's a pretty decent breakdown of the games impact.

I know this is an FF7 forum but are we really at that level of nit-picky cringe-nerddom? o_O
what happened in the podcast?

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
It's mostly a general breakdown of FF7 to someone who doesn't know anything about it, outside of maybe some general video game knowledge. They explain what genre it falls under, and give context on why it's so fondly remembered. They go over some of the main themes, explain why the characters are so likeable, how ambitious the narrative was at the time, and ways the video game format enhanced that narrative. The interviewer asks some questions about how it holds up today, so they talk a bit about things like gameplay, outdated tropes, and how it's had some shoddy sequels.

Honestly the cringiest thing I thought was when the two said they liked Advent Children :awesome: Even then, they had the good sense to admit that it's objectively bad. Their reasoning for why it's bad is pretty nondescript, but for the purposes of this interview, I don't think that really matters.

I honestly thought they did a pretty good job in doing what they set out to do. No cringe from me. It's all pretty much the kind of stuff you'd hear from any FF7 fan if it came up at a party or something.

I was someone who'd only ever played Mario Kart with her kids until I discovered Advent Children. It hooked me into this fandom, about which I'd previously known nothing, so it must have some kind of magic.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
^ I wasn't being 100% serious. I was mostly fishing for the most "cringe" thing that happened. I realize and accept Advent Children's entertainment value :monster:

The weird thing is, I could see that AC was objectively a bad film. I had no emotional connection to the characters at that time, I had never even heard of Aerith, and the entire plot made no sense from beginning to end... And yet I got up the next morning and watched it all over again. This has quite literally never happened to me before or since.

Lex

Administrator
AC as a spiritual object absorbed years of fandom anticipation and longing, so obviously its tentacles fly forth and assault the senses to all VII virgins. It's the only explanation :monster:

Admittedly I'm only just now listening to this podcast so I'll update when I'm done.

EDIT: TIL Radio 1 has a gaming show, who knew
EDIT2: Oh it's that person from Eurogamer, I love her

AC as a spiritual object absorbed years of fandom anticipation and longing
So what you're saying is that Advent Children is materia

and us, the original FFVII fans, are the Ancients whose thoughts and knowledge have poured into this movie to imbue it with its magical powers

:awesome:

...And when you insert the DVD or Blu-ray disc into your player, is that like equipping a materia to your weapon or armor? :mon:

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
I think what made me cringe is that they were trying to pose that show as explaining the game to someone who never played or even seen the game before, and yet they bounced all over the place with information that wouldn't make any sense unless you already HAD played it. So to a layman, this podcast would be almost impossible to follow, while a familiar gamer would feel like this isn't exactly a deep or personal look, and from someone that doesn't really sound like they know or care about the game.

It's a podcast episode that has no idea who it's talking to, or how to talk to said mystery audience.

You hit the nail on the head, chip.

I also think they were wrong about the stereotypes. The game was subversive because it subverted the stereotypes. The guy who talked about Aerith being pure and gentle seemed to know less about the game than the other two.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
Advent Children is largely unforgiving to the uninitiated. But I don't think you can really call it "objectively bad." It's really its own beast, but it works as part of the whole compilation.

As far as the podcast goes, it reminds me of having to hear people I know talking about Final Fantasy VII without me. It's painful only because I have no input in the conversation.

The subversion aspect of the story is very interesting, and something I've talked about in my own videos on the game. So I liked hearing about that.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
AC isn't meant to be a standalone, it's right there in the title crawl "To those who loved this world, this reunion is for you."

The funny thing about things that are objectively bad is that people seldom agree on why they are so.. I'm not sure what an objectively bad film looks like, at what what point does it hit an objective level of badness?

Top Bottom