• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

30 days of FF meme (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Thought this could be something fun we could all share. Got the idea from Xi-Feng, who got it from others.

Basically, each day for 30 days, we discuss a specific FF-related topic. Each could really use its own thread, but we'll see what our needs are based on how many people are interested.

Here's the topic list:
Day 01 - Your favourite FF game!
Day 02 - Your least favourite Final Fantasy game.
Day 03 – Your favourite Final Fantasy theme/song.
Day 04 - Your favourite Final Fantasy party from your favourite game.
Day 05 - Your favourite Final Fantasy City/Town.
Day 06 – Favourite part of your favourite Final Fantasy game.
Day 07 - Least favourite part of your favourite Final Fantasy game.
Day 08 – Favourite Chocobo Version.
Day 09 - Favourite Moogle Version.
Day 10 – Best Final Fantasy scene ever.
Day 11 – Final Fantasy game that disappointed you.
Day 12 - Final Fantasy game you’ve played more than 5 times.
Day 13 – Your favourite version of Cid.
Day 14 - Favourite Final Fantasy male character.
Day 15 - Favourite Final Fantasy female character.
Day 16 - Your favourite Final Fantasy limit break.
Day 17 - Favourite Final Fantasy mini game.
Day 18 - Favourite Final Fantasy opening sequence.
Day 19 - Best Final Fantasy outfit.
Day 20 – Best Final Fantasy hair.
Day 21 - Favourite Final Fantasy pairing/ship.
Day 22 - Favourite Final Fantasy summon.
Day 23 - Least Favourite Final Fantasy mini game.
Day 24 - Best Final Fantasy quote.
Day 25 - Final Fantasy game you plan on playing (old or new).
Day 26 - OMG WTF? Final Fantasy moment.
Day 27 – Best Final Fantasy storyline.
Day 28 - First Final Fantasy game obsession.
Day 29 - Current Final Fantasy game obsession.
Day 30 - Saddest Final Fantasy character death.​
Now, I imagine for more than a few folks, this thread has already taken care of Day 01, but maybe there will be some surprises.

Does anyone else like this idea?

I like the idea but I'll probably avoid posting because in the majority of those questions I'd answer "FFVII". I'm boring that way. =P

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Final Fantasy VII is my favorite, though it is the last main FF I've played aside from XIII, so the last really good FF I've played in recent memory. It's been over 10 years since I played VIII, IV and VI my runner ups. Either way, I felt it had the best characters, especially the lead, most intimidating villain (Golbez is a good runner up), great story. Had everything.

i dun think we need a new topic for everyone of these.

Scias

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Vega, Kyle Hyde
Great iniciative, COUNT ME IN :joy:

Btw about 01, while VII is my favorite FF, I actually consider VI to be the best of all. FFVII represents a lot to me, so much, that I'm going to post it all on that other thread. It's just that I can recognize the great quality VI has as a game and as a FF.

EDIT: ...So yeah, FFVII would be my answer.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
I think FFX is my favorite of the series, because it's just so...damn.

VII and VIII will always hold very special places in my heart, but X will always top them.

Honorable mention goes to Tactics, which is amazing (and would have won, too, were it not for me experiencing FFX Int.).

Bex

fresh to death
AKA
Bex
FFX is my favourite. It is the only game that has caused me numerous emotional breakdowns and post-traumatic stress syndrome that made it ok to buy FFX-2. Now i look back on Seymour and just see someone who, rather than being SUPER evil, is camper than a row of tents.

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
FFVII changed the way I looked at RPGs and was a major breakthrough for the series. Some of my fondest childhood memories were spent playing this game, speculating about every possibility. And the fact we're still learning new things about it to this day shows what a timeless classic it truly is. To see Squenix pissing over its legacy is a sad sight to behold.

In the modern era, it would have to be FFXII. It's one of the most absorbing RPGs I've had the pleasure of playing. Never before has such a FF had so much depth and attention to detail, with an epic plot and inspired voice-acting. It was like a breath of fresh air.

* I'm fond of FFIX, too. It had superb characterisation and balanced gameplay, but just lacked that that 'wow factor' like the above.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
FFVI for certain. It just has such a great balance of characters, and one of the best soundtracks for any work in any medium ever. The story and gameplay are no slouches either, and it's one of the loveliest SNES games ever released (although it is eclipsed by Chrono Trigger and Seiken Densetsu 3 in that department). FFIX is probably a close second, but I still need to replay it to make certain. Unfortunately my first disc is too scratched to play the FMVs, which never fails to piss me off. Although you can understand the story well enough without them. At any rate I like FFIX for most of the same reasons I like FFVI, although I would go a bit further to say it's one of the loveliest games ever on any system. Seriously the standard of graphics in FFIX and Chrono Cross I would say has not yet been matched in any system. Obviously we have more realistic-looking games now, but I would not say we have more beautiful games.

Dark and Divine

Pro Adventurer
AKA
D&D
My favourite FF games are Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy IX.

I loved the three of them. The story, the characters, the battle system, the music, the worlds themselves are all top-notch, in my opinion.

Those were three games that marked me as a gamer in a very positive way.

My three favourite characters ever came from these games.

But, given the option of choosing only one, i would go with FFIX.

I don't know why, but IX simply seems more..complete. Everything is so well put together...it just seems that S-E picked up the best of each FF game and put it in this game.

Honourable mention for FFX and FFXII, which had the the best battle systems in the entire series, imo. Other than that, X had an incredible feel with its tropical environmment. It also had a very engaging story and the ending was one of the best in the series. XII really let the player feel like he/she was really exploring an entire world, providing an outstading feel to it. Other than that, the design of both characters and locations was very detailed and unique, though some of the characters were not very memorable. All in all, two excelent games, each in its own way.

Last edited:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
I'm thanking pretty much every post in this thread because I can.

Splintered

unsavory tart
FFVII.

I'm boring and stuffs, but no really, VII. I can kick it back up on my psp and I get chills at the beginning. The segment between the Temple of Ancients to the death of Aerith still remains to me, one of the most absorbing moments in gaming.

After that, I don't really have a favorite. It's my faggot answer but my favorite really changes upon what I'm playing at the moment. There's a point in each game where I'm absolutely wrapped up in what's going on. It took awhile for IV, what I'm playing right now, but I just got to that point.

Seven.
It's love. What can I say?
I haven't played Ten or Six and so probably don't really have a right to an opinion anyway. But of the ones I've played, Eight bored me, and I couldn't care about any of the characters. Nine is lovely, with a beautiful world and great characters, but too easy. I like the battles and the hunts in XII, but the characters lack development and the story drags.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
IX is easily my favorite. I loved the cast, the music, the gameplay, the story...but what really sets it above the rest for me is the setting. The world of FFIX is just a damn cool world to be in, period. Everywhere you go in this game just looks fucking awesome. Treno, Lindblum, Kuja's Desert Palace...they're all beautiful and fun to explore.

This game was just put together really well and is just a fun experience every time. It's one of the few games I can replay over and over.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I have trouble deciding between VII and IX.

VII for the obvious reasons - I love the environment, and it was the first video game story that I found really mature and involving.

IX because I think the characterization is the best in the series. I just love this cast so goddamn much. I got so attached to these characters, it's ridiculous how much I love them. Not to mention there is jut so much game to it as well! I could kill hours on mini-games alone.

VI, XII and Tactics deserve honourable mentions as well. Unfortunately, the story/characters hinder XII from being a favourite. Tactics is hindered by its weird translation and amount of stock characters.

VI comes really close to challenging VII/IX, but I didn't get as absorbed into VI's environments quite as much. It is my favourite soundtrack though hands down.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
After that, I don't really have a favorite. It's my faggot answer but my favorite really changes upon what I'm playing at the moment. There's a point in each game where I'm absolutely wrapped up in what's going on. It took awhile for IV, what I'm playing right now, but I just got to that point.

what.

I am going to split up my favourites into two.

Gameplay and Story. Gameplay it's a tie between 5 and Tactics Advance 2. Both had me playing for hours on end just because it was so much fun. The phrase "oh shit when did it become 3 in the morning" is an accurate description of my playing TA2.

Story would be 12. All the characters (even Vaan) had something I liked about them that made their stories and interactions fun to watch. It was a game where it felt like our quest and what we were doing wasn't the main conflict, and that there was this epic bigger than us story going on. And then they merged at the end.

I also liked the morality of it all and how methods aside you could understand the villain and why he was doing what he was doing.

Tifaeria

Hello again! 8D
AKA
Roxy Lalonde, Black Canary, Princess Vampira, Ah-Choo, Cutie-Aoide
I'm amazed by how much love FFIX is getting and that makes me very happy. :awesome:

FFVII brought me into the RPG world and made me feel aw'd by how intricate and thought out the story was. With that and IX, they both had characters I loved to learn more about, places I liked to repeatedly visit, and there was endless things to do which made replays all the more interesting. VII only tops because it was my first RPG, but I say they are both pretty close to being my number one favorite.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
I will have to say that FFVI is my favorite. Though IX and IV come so close. I never get bored of playing VI, and it has such amazing and memorable scenes. The Opera, for instance. I also adore the characters, especially Celes who really grew as a character and strenghtened over time... went through a lot of emotional turmoil too and got back on her feet and saved everyone's ass. My favorite FF female, for sure. While there wasn't a *huge* love story, the pieces that they put in were so sweet and touching, just the right amount. While I adore love stories, I love that this one wasn't so in your face. Not to mention the opening and ending cutscenes are marvelous... the ending gets to me every time. *SNIFF* Even when you play the original without the FMV, it's still great. I think FFIX is my favorite plot, but VI comes right after. I also think that FFIX has the best soundtrack I've ever heard out of all the FF games. Again, with FFVI right after. xD Gah, those two are so close for me... It's kinda hard to choose.
"You're not alone" gets to me every time as well. That part of the game is so fucking amazing, and the music was icing on the cake that fit the mood perfectly. You can't beat that sort of awesome feeling. I also still cry like a baby during that cutscene where Vivi is watching all of the black mages dying... BAAAAAAW. I felt that same way too during the opera scene during FFVI. When you really get lost in the moment and music, and actually feel like you're there.
I actually felt something for these characters - I cared about them. Their pain was my pain, and I felt happy when they were. And they're not even real. AFASDFGGh.

Scias

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Vega, Kyle Hyde
In the modern era, it would have to be FFXII. It's one of the most absorbing RPGs I've had the pleasure of playing. Never before has such a FF had so much depth and attention to detail, with an epic plot and inspired voice-acting. It was like a breath of fresh air.

I am going to split up my favourites into two.

Gameplay and Story. Gameplay it's a tie between 5 and Tactics Advance 2. Both had me playing for hours on end just because it was so much fun. The phrase "oh shit when did it become 3 in the morning" is an accurate description of my playing TA2.

Story would be 12. All the characters (even Vaan) had something I liked about them that made their stories and interactions fun to watch. It was a game where it felt like our quest and what we were doing wasn't the main conflict, and that there was this epic bigger than us story going on. And then they merged at the end.

I also liked the morality of it all and how methods aside you could understand the villain and why he was doing what he was doing.

QFT, if I had to pick a FF game I consider comes close to FFVI in terms of quality, XII and Tactics would be my first options.

Basically; Ivalice rocks.

Kobato

Pro Adventurer
I will have to say that FFVI is my favorite. Though IX and IV come so close.

^ This.

Final Fantasy IX and Final Fantasy IV are really amazing games, but Final Fantasy VI has to be up the top, it just has epic music, a amazing storyline, and wonderful and detailed characters. It used to be VII a long time ago though, but with characters changing and everything from the original, and new games, mini-novels, and stories coming out, its hard to keep up.
:huh:

Also I feel like I relate to some of the VI characters more so than, IX, IV, and VII.

Gau- We all know what it's like to be rejected and feel like weirdo misfit of the group, espically being a Otaku anime/ fan and everybody else liking clothes shopping and basketball, or just sport in general.

Locke- We all know what it's like to loose somebody dear to us, and have trouble moving on, and trying our hardest not to have that happen again, and just loosing a dear friend recently, I can feel Locke's pain, espically the regret.

Edgar- We've probably all sacrificed something for a loved one, friend or family member. Something we wanted, but instead we gave it to somebody else who wanted it to, but because we loved them dearly, we gave it to them instead...

So, on and so forth.

Last edited:

Splintered

unsavory tart
Hm?

I guess what I meant that I was aware that saying "~I have no favorites" is kind of a wishy washy answer, and I tend to say those things a lot.

But I really can't decide what what other games are my favorites because I tend to really get into whatever game I'm playing. At almost every series climax, I tend to think, "holy shit, greatest game ever." My post game appreciation is also dependent on who I can discuss the game with as well. It might be obvious being on FF forum, but I love discussion plot with people, sitting around and thinking about wtf just happened makes me even interested in the game after I played it.

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
My overall favourite is a tie:

VII, mostly because I love the world/setting. The slums are probably my favourite area of any video game ever - if someone ever asked me about good game design I would point there first. The story is dark and mature, the characters are complex and fairly well-developed, and the materia system is pretty darn fun. Fantastic soundtrack.

Tactics, because of the story and the combat/job system. Ramza's, Delita's and Ovelia's stories are all tragic in their own way, and the job system made the combat so versatile I never got tired of it. It sports some of the most challenging boss fights (
this music will always make me want to curl up in a ball and cry fat tears of pure terror:

) of any FF I've played (which is strange, considering the final boss battle is possibly the easiest fight ever, but oh well). Again, fantastic soundtrack, Masaharu's style is a lot different from Uematsu's but it's just as memorable.

FFVI and FFIX are both close seconds. VI has two of my all-time favourite moments (the opera and Celes on the island) and some awesome characters and IX had all awesome characters and the Zidane/Garnet story is possibly the best thing since sliced bread. Both games had amazing soundtracks - I would often leave FFIX open on the starting menu just to listen to The Place I'll Return To Someday over and over again.

FFXIII gets honourable mention for it's combat system.

Also this:

But I really can't decide what what other games are my favorites because I tend to really get into whatever game I'm playing. At almost every series climax, I tend to think, "holy shit, greatest game ever." My post game appreciation is also dependent on who I can discuss the game with as well. It might be obvious being on FF forum, but I love discussion plot with people, sitting around and thinking about wtf just happened makes me even interested in the game after I played it.

Bex

fresh to death
AKA
Bex
Day 2: Least favourite would probably be FFXII.
I really disliked the gambit system, and the fact the seeming protagonist ended up as a secondary character.

Splintered

unsavory tart
Oh yeah day 2.

I was originally going to say FFVIII. I tend to focus games a lot around how much I love the characters, and I hated half the cast in VIII. It also had my least favorite moment "LOL ORPHANAGE), and I strongly disliked the junctioning system. The romance felt like HrRRRN and I just wanted to completely skip all of it. The plot was nothing I was interested in. There where a few really cool locations but nothing that would stick in my mind like other games.

But I feel guilty about it because there was a lot about it I liked, like the artistic cutscenes and it having my favorite OST. And everything to do with Laguna.

Then I remembered, oh, spin offs! If we are allowed to put in, Dirge of Cerebus.

I spent the entire time like, "what the fuck am I playing? What the fuck is this?" Terrible dialogue, and some of the worst, least memorable characters to ever be introduced. Lucrecia went from a tragic woman who made mistakes, to being the worst plot device ever with absolutely no redeeming value.

It used a redundant plot (AND THEN THE LIFESTREAM GOES TO THE STARS ON A GUNDAM), the game was ugly with the exception of the cutscenes, which where limited to unimpressive action scenes. The gameplay wasn't terrible but it was mediocre.

It didn't feel like they failed to deliver on a decent game, because to fail you got to try.

In the end, there was only one thing I appreciated and it was that Square desperately tried to try something new and get away from just jrpg's. The need to diversify, I wholly accept and don't mind a failure or two. But using the FFVII name made it seem like a stupid cash grab and it was not needed.

Lowest part in FF.

Least: The original Tactics.

I tried to play it twice now, and it never drew me in. I understand I'm apparently missing out but when a game does nothing to interest me after the first 3-5 hours then it starts to feel like homework.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom