• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

4Kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikkolas

Banned
Ya know I look over YouTube and anime forums I frequent and it's so tiring to hear people hate on 4Kids.

Maybe it's the simple fact I never much cared about One Piece but my experience with the group is fairly positive. Anyone hear remember Pokemon? They dubbed that...and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. Veronica Taylor, Rachel Lillis and Eric Stuart..I love you guys.
(screw you, PUSA)

I also know they get a lot of flack for editing Yu-Gi-Oh to all Hell but the characters were still fun. I mean...Yami Bakura's voice? Pure evil (and coincidentally, the same VA did Giovanni in Pokemon). Eric Stuart also returns as Seto Kaiba and does another outstanding job IMO

Then there is also their original series like the 2003 TMNT toon.

So...yeah, I never had a problem with the group.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Anyone trying to legitimately defend 4Kids as an anime distributor, when compared to the content and quality others in the industry give, is deluding themselves.

They butchered One Piece. And that's not an exaggeration. They butchered it to the point it was nothing more than a hollow shell of its awesomeness.

Yu-Gi-Oh was incredibly butchered and censored to such a degree that the entire target demographic of the series was lost, unless they read the manga. Also, 4Kid's asshatery with the distributing and airing of YGO GX was so fail, that they canceled the series in the middle of season 3 and never continued it. It just went straight into 5Ds without any resolution to the sequel series. That's fucking pathetic.

Pokemon was so fucked over, Nintendo figured they could do it better themselves and didn't let them distribute it anymore.

As a long time fan of YGO, I can tell you the characters in the dub have been ridiculous dumbed down, or worst, changed. 4Kids is stupid and they can all get blown to the "Shadow Realm" by a Thunder Force from Slifer the Executive Producer :monster:

Last edited:

Bex

fresh to death
AKA
Bex
Yu-Gi-Oh was incredibly butchered and censored to such a degree that the entire target demographic of the series was lost, unless they read the manga.

QFT if you read the first seven volumes of manga, then watch an episode of the dub, it is PYAAAR lol.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Aren't they americanizing stuff? Like, renaming people etc.?
I really hate when stuff like that is done. In some cases, I can accept renames (not like FF games never had differing character names in different language versions) but what people like them do to animes is kinda ghey.

RTL2 in Germany is worse though. :monster:

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
QFT if you read the first seven volumes of manga, then watch an episode of the dub, it is PYAAAR lol.

OH NO. WHAT COULD BE MORE THREATENING THAN OUR INVISIBLE GUNS

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
Yu-Gi-Oh was incredibly butchered and censored to such a degree that the entire target demographic of the series was lost, unless they read the manga.

Agreed. The Japanese Anime was brutal, lol. Jounochi wasn't a retard, and neither was Tristan. I see they've kept Anzu's whoriness in tact at least. :awesome: Just kidding, but she's all "OMG FRIENDSHIP SPEECHES!11" and nothing like the self centered twat she really is. *breathes*

Don't get me started on how they killed Yami Bakura! Licking blood off the Millenium Eye is epic. Unless I skipped an episode, they took that shit out.

I'm not entirely opposed to the dub though, it's cute and funny. It reminds me of Digimon with the bad puns and the cutesy moments. There's no denying that they slaughtered what it really is though.

Like, renaming people etc.?

Yeah, look at what happened in Tokyo Mew Mew. They changed Ichigo to Zoey. >_>

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Also, 4Kids is so shit, that they can't even have dual audio for their DVD releases. I would forgive them and accept them if they would release their series uncut and with the option to not sit through Dan Green shouting in a 50 year old man's voice, card game moves on a fucking blimp. It's so ridiculous. They not only butcher the series they distribute, but they won't even LET fans who know there's something better out there, see the series outside of their own crazy, dumbed down, Americanized vision.

There's a reason why 4Kids has consistently been suffering quarterly losses each fiscal year. I hope they go out of business, to be honest.

@Celes Chere

No, you didn't miss it. They took it out. I fucking hated them for that. :monster:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
The anime was less violent than the manga in general. So all 4Kids did was tone it down even more.

Exactly. Which completely kills the tone of the anime even more. Villains weren't afraid of killing and brutally hurting their opponents in the anime. What 4Kids did was make the game ridiculously light hearted to the point that it shattered a person's suspension of disbelief.

There's a difference between the villain trying to sadistically kill you and torture you by sending their thugs after you, and the villain sending their thugs after you to send your mind to the "shadow realm" by a "dark energy disc" that somehow looks like a blurred out buzz saw.

The Shadow Realm never even fucking existed. That's some bizarre concept they gave us.

And I'll never forgive them calling "Osiris"...Slifer. Talk about being an egotistical prick.

Nikkolas

Banned
Pokemon was so fucked over, Nintendo figured they could do it better themselves and didn't let them distribute it anymore.

Oh please. Nintendo isn't half the dubber of Pokemon that 4Kids was. Any Pokemon fan will tell you as such.

Your wishing for thousands of people to lose their jobs also shows you are like the people on YouTube: blind fanboy.

Exactly. Which completely kills the tone of the anime even more. Villains weren't afraid of killing and brutally hurting their opponents in the anime. What 4Kids did was make the game ridiculously light hearted to the point that it shattered a person's suspension of disbelief.

I see. So Marik was afraid of hurting someone when he rigged up a game that would result in one of the heroes drowning? Interesting.

Last edited:

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Your wishing for thousands of people to lose their jobs also shows you are like the people on YouTube: blind fanboy.

So if someone is fucking up and changing things to make it incoherent compared to what it was before, they shouldn't lose their jobs?

Hmm. Interesting administrative stance there.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
If they're doing a shit job, then they need to lose it, or do it better. They aren't entitled to...produce a sub-par product and distribute it. What type of bullshit is that?

Forgive us fans of anime for actually wanting something that should be arguably better than what a fan with some time, video encoding experience, and Japanese knowledge could give us for free. :monster:

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
So Marik was afraid of hurting someone when he rigged up a game that would result ione of the heroes drowning?

And what about Marik's past? It was terrible and traumatizing. I forgot if 4kids even mentioned his past, now that I think about it...

Nikkolas

Banned
People do what they're told to do. Do you think Dan Green has any say in what his lines are? No. Do you think the actual editors of the anime have any say in what they're told to edit out? No. It's a corporation and there's such a thing as a chain-of-command. Or do you think auto plant workers deserve to lose their job because their CEOs suck balls?
Sorry, I live in Detroit so the last bit is personal to me.

And what about Marik's past? It was terrible and traumatizing. I forgot if 4kids even mentioned his past, now that I think about it...

They did. Except he didn't have his back carved up in the dub and he didn't skin his old man.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
The death match between the two was one of the few things they actually didn't bother to edit. Probably because the entire episode and scenes were so intrinsically linked to that plot device and duel to the death, they couldn't just re-draw and re-edit the entire episode due to how much it'd cost. :monster:

And yes. They edited out the violence and trauma of Malik's past. They edited out the abuse, whipping, torturing, etc. And they had young Yami Malik banish his father to the "shadow realm" instead of
outright stabbing him to death.

And I don't hate Dan Green, I just hate hearing him and the casting director that actually thought he'd be a good choice to voice a 15/16 year old young Japanese kid. He's unfit for the role and shouldn't play it. 4Kids as a corporation sucks, and by basic economics they should either improve or lose business. Don't play the pity card because its irrelevant. Shit happens and when you're in business and your business fails, then you take the loss. If its anyone's fault, its the CEOs and people who made the decision to create such a substandard product. If you want someone to blame, blame them. Not the people who think they're full of shit. People shouldn't be forced to buy shitty product and waste their money. And most often, they won't.

Last edited:

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
People do what they're told to do. Do you think Dan Green has any say in what his lines are? No. Do you think the actual editors of the anime have any say in what they're told to edit out? No. It's a corporation and there's such a thing as a chain-of-command.

So shift responsibility to whoever's making the decisions. At the end of the day it's still SOMEONE'S fault.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
And they had young Yami Malik banish his father to the "shadow realm"

Huh, I must have missed that. God, hearing that, I almost wish they hadn't mentioned his past at all if they won't show it for what it really is. >_> I mean, that's one of the reasons Marik is one of my favorites.

Nikkolas

Banned
And I don't hate Dan Green, I just hate hearing him and the casting director that actually thought he'd be a good choice to voice a 15/16 year old young Japanese kid. He's unfit for the role and shouldn't play it. 4Kids as a corporation sucks, and by basic economics they should either improve or lose business. Don't play the pity card because its irrelevant. Shit happens and when you're in business and you business fail, then you take the loss. If its anyone's fault, its the CEOs and people who made the decision. If you want someone to blame, blame them. People shouldn't be forced to buy shitty product. And most often, they won't.

How capitalistic ie. selfish of you.
I guess business ethics is really an oxymoron.

Not like it matters as the corporation is far from collapsing despite your wish.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
It's not collapsing but its still suffering loss after quaterly loss. Given the substandard quality of their licenses its not really surprising. :monster:

And there's a reason Kaiba is my avatar. :awesome:

@Notorious M.O.G.

LOL pretty much.

Tifaeria

Hello again! 8D
AKA
Roxy Lalonde, Black Canary, Princess Vampira, Ah-Choo, Cutie-Aoide
I have to say that I couldn't care less for anybody in that company except for the voice actors. They are only doing their jobs the best they can under the direction of the voice director. If you don't like their voice, blame the director and producer, not the actor.

And sometimes they cut all that gory/religious stuff just because they don't want their ass handed to them by concerned parents and religious idiots. You actually think they would put someone licking blood from an item and everybody would be ok with that? You people are dreaming! I hate what they do a lot but sometimes they need to cut out some things so that they won't get fired. Then again they shouldn't have bought One Piece in the first place. I'm just saying, don't expect everything to be uncut on television just because it's ok for children of one country but not for kids in another.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
I just have to say, lol at Mako being called a capitalist.

Also the whole point of being upset at censorship is that many of these animé aren't intended to be directed at kids in the first place, so trying to produce "kid-friendly" versions is kind of missing the point.

Nikkolas

Banned
What have you paid for, exactly?
Do you buy the DVD sets or something?

lol at Mako being called a capitalist, btw.

If he posts like one and acts like one...I only have this thread to go by anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom