• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

A Comprehensive Compilation Time Line? (Spoilers)

Neutron Ronnie

From The Front of Armament
AKA
Powerslave
Sorry if this has already been addressed before, but is there, or are there any plans for, an absolutely COMPREHENSIVE Final Fantasy VII Compilation time line?

I mean really detailed, with facts gleaned from in-game conversations, like when exactly the Nibelheim reactor was completed, or roughly when Omega and Chaos were created?

I've been trying to make one, but I keep having to check translations and game scripts as I proceed, and it's pretty slow going... :(

Last edited:

Ravynne Nevyrmore

that one Lucrecia fangirl
AKA
Ravynne
Wouldn't it be hard to do that when you're only given approximations as to when those things happened and the facts keep changing, as well as the relativity of what happened first and what happened second?

Neutron Ronnie

AKA
Powerslave
Yup, Ravynne, you're right, that's one of my problems... and I also have to go back and double check stuff, my memory's hazy...

For example, I was under the impression that - having played the original game - Sephiroth knew Gast personally... at least, from the way he spoke about the Professor. But doesn't the Compilation time line seem to indicate that it's improbable?

But I really want to find a time line with every little thing in it! Call me greedy, but I think I want more than what's mentioned in the "Complete Timeline of the Compilation of FFVII"... :(

Andalegogo

Rueful Figure
Anything that hasn't been included in the timeline has been left out because of the ambiguity with their dates of occurrence.

Little details like when Bugenhagen left Shinra, or when Mukki rose to power can only be debated to the death. In the end though it would all really just be conjecture, because as was mentioned, there's just too little info.

FF7's world was not initially set up to host something as big as what the Compilation has been trying to be.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
FF7's world and setting is relatively poor as compared to as what it should arguably be. Past events are riddled with words like APPROXIMATELY or ABOUT, and most of important events like ages, births, establishments, world history, and stuff like that are shrouded in haze. If I ever get the chance to, I wish I could throw something Square's way to finally clamp down and give us an actual HISTORY of the world of Final Fantasy VII.

It kinda makes me angry, really.

Neutron Ronnie

AKA
Powerslave
Yup, I know... The whole issue with Zack's year of birth brought up in this forum is bugging the life out of me...

Still, it would be nice to have at least an approximate (but comprehensive) time line, wouldn't it? :D

Ravynne Nevyrmore

AKA
Ravynne
powerslave86 said:
For example, I was under the impression that - having played the original game - Sephiroth knew Gast personally... at least, from the way he spoke about the Professor. But doesn't the Compilation time line seem to indicate that it's improbable?

It's hard to say because the timeline and numbers cited in game seem to contradict themselves.

For example:

Complete Timeline of the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII said:
[ Starting approx. 20 years before CC ]
· Sephiroth is born via Jenova Project S.

[ Starting approx. 8 years before CC ]
· The Wutai War begins. Active as a SOLDIER 1st Class, Sephiroth becomes famous as a decorated hero.
At age...12? :monster:

Complete Timeline of the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII said:
[ μ ] - εуλ 1980
· Dr. Gast vanishes. Hojo defeats Hollander in the power struggle for the Department of Scientific Research.

[ μ ] - εуλ 1985
2/7
· Aerith Gainsborough is born in Icicle Lodge. 20 days after her birth, Professor Gast is shot to death by troops led by Hojo, and she is taken into custody at the ShinRa Building with her mother, Ifalna.
Final Fantasy VII said:
Hojo: Heh, heh, heh...... I've been searching for you, Ifalna... or should I say, Cetra! Long time no see, Professor Gast!
Gast: Hojo... How did you know?
Hojo: Believe me, I had to turn over a stone or two to find you. Two years I waited.... That's how much I wanted this new sample..... Ha, ha, ha.
1985 - 1980 = 5 years

Final Fantasy VII: 10th Anniversary Ultimania Omega said:
— Nibelheim
For Vincent, “Where All the Nightmares Began”. After being subjected to surgical modifications, he spent roughly 20 years sleeping in a coffin in ShinRa Manor.
...but this number should be the same as Sephiroth's age in FF7, which takes place 7 years after CC begins.

[ Approx. 50 years before FFVII ]
· Is born.
50 - 27 = 23

[ Approx. 25~30 years before FFVII ]
(Age 27)
Do the math... He was born ~50 years ago, but ~20-25 years later he's 27? Good one...

Last edited:

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
The Wutai War begins. Active as a SOLDIER 1st Class, Sephiroth becomes famous as a decorated hero.

I don't think this refers to the Wutai War starting and Sephiroth's involvement all at the same time. The WW started 8 years ago, and in the timeframe, Sephiroth gets his stripes.

Neutron Ronnie

AKA
Powerslave
Couldn't Hojo's words also mean he only discovered them two years before he turned up? But that he decided to wait till Gast and Ifalna did the tiresome job of child-producing.

But yeah, I know... A lot seems weird and inconsistent, but I guess I'll just push on with it. :D

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
It was 25 to 30 years when Vincent was at Nibelheim. Furthermore, Vincent didn't go to sleep right at the same time as Sephiroth was born. We have no idea how long Hojo manipulated and experimented on his body. Vincent didn't go to sleep at the exact date Sephiroth was born.

Furthermore, the fact they say "approximately" shows the fact that the number "20" is not to be seen as the definitive value of time regarding when he was born. It's a rough estimation. It's at least 20 years. And if the date in question was 25 to 30 years before FFVII, then it makes sense he'd be 27. Since that falls between 25 and 30.

And we don't know exactly what Hojo waited for, in regards to two years. Maybe it was 2 years he waited in regards to getting permission to hunt for Gast after he resigned? Maybe it was 2 years he waited in regards to finding a lead, looking for them. It doesn't just have to mean he literally was looking for them, for 2 years.

Ravynne Nevyrmore

AKA
Ravynne
Mako said:
It was 25 to 30 years when Vincent was at Nibelheim. Furthermore, Vincent didn't go to sleep right at the same time as Sephiroth was born. We have no idea how long Hojo manipulated and experimented on his body. Vincent didn't go to sleep at the exact date Sephiroth was born.
Game events would suggest that they did indeed happen at nearly the same time. Lucrecia yells at Hojo to give her son back while Vincent is in the tube, meaning he's already been born, and if he had already been born for a while then she probably would have had the chance to hold him at some point. I find it highly unlikely that Lucrecia and Sephiroth just chilled out in the same location without her ever touching him for much longer than a month, and even that would be a stretch. We're talking about a woman who's just given birth and her newborn child here.

Mako said:
Furthermore, the fact they say "approximately" shows the fact that the number "20" is not to be seen as the definitive value of time regarding when he was born. It's a rough estimation. It's at least 20 years. And if the date in question was 25 to 30 years before FFVII, then it makes sense he'd be 27. Since that falls between 25 and 30.
Are you talking about Vincent or Sephiroth as being 27?

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
It's more like Lucrecia had been systematically denied the right to see her son and she's finally lashing out over it. The fact she's screaming for the chance to just hold her own son, doesn't necessarily mean the birth has just happened. That's not really a concrete interpretation of time in regards to the birth. Who says this was the first time she asked either? And if she just gave birth, how could she be back in the laboratory, preforming calculations and experiments, to bring Vincent back to life and consciousness? She would be recovered from pregnancy that fast?

I was referring to Sephiroth's age and the fact Vincent was 27 around 25 to 30 years before FFVII.

Ravynne Nevyrmore

AKA
Ravynne
Mako said:
It's more like Lucrecia had been systematically denied the right to see her son and she's finally lashing out over it. The fact she's screaming for the chance to just hold her own son, doesn't necessarily mean the birth has just happened. That's not really a concrete interpretation of time in regards to the birth. Who says this was the first time she asked either? And if she just gave birth, how could she be back in the laboratory, preforming calculations and experiments, to bring Vincent back to life and consciousness? She would be recovered from pregnancy that fast?
Even if it was a couple of months, I find it hard to believe it would have been years. Which still puts Vincent at 27 when Sephiroth was born.

Mako said:
I was referring to Sephiroth's age and the fact Vincent was 27 around 25 to 30 years before FFVII.
Sephiroth could have also been 27 in FF7, that's true...and confusing. Score one for the Vincent-Sephiroth connection conspiracy pile though, lulz. :monster:

But as for "25-30 years before FF7" accurately referring to Vincent's age as 27, that's not true because they're saying he was born ~50 years before FF7 and then was 27 ~25-30 years before FF7. You have to subtract ~25-30 from ~50, which would give you ~20-25. Obviously when they say Vincent was 27 they're not referring to the number of years between that time and FF7 (in the future); they're referring to the time elapsed between that time and when he was born (in the past). I know you know that, but I think you may have reversed the numbers. It's confusing because the event seems to have occurred at pretty much the halfway point of Vincent's life, which makes all the numbers pretty much the same.

However, the mere statement that he was born ~50 years before X and then that he was 27 years old ~25-30 years before X is a mathematic clusterfuck no matter how you try to explain it, because it only allows for a lapse of ~20-25 years. If they said just ~25, I'd buy that 27 is ~25, but when they put that range in there it would lead one to believe that while the number is approximate, it still falls between 20-25, so it should be a bit lower than 25 instead of a bit higher.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Ahhh, I see. Damn, you got a point there about the age thing. :monster:

Ravynne Nevyrmore

AKA
Ravynne
I've collected some numbers from the compilation timeline and the profiles of Vincent, Sephiroth, and Genesis. See if you can come up with a number that reconciles all this:

Approximations:
- Vincent was born "approximately 50 years" before Dec. 0007.
- Vincent slept for "roughly 20 years"/"over 20 years."
- The events of Jenova Project S occurred "approximately 25-30 years" before Dec. 0007.
- Sephiroth was born "approximately 25-30" years before Dec. 0007.
- Sephiroth was born "approximately 20 years" before Nov. 0000.
- The Wutai war began "approximately 8 years" before Nov. 0000.
- Sephiroth and Genesis are "about the same age." Genesis is older than Sephiroth, probably by about a year.*
- Genesis is "around 25" in his CC profile, which might span all of 0000-0007.

Constants:
- Vincent was 27 years old when he stopped aging during Jenova Project S.
- Sephiroth was born during Jenova Project S, when Vincent was 27 or possibly 26.
- Sephiroth was already a SOLDIER in 1997.**
- Sephiroth was recognized as a hero by 0000.
- Vincent briefly awoke on Dec. 19, 0006.
- Gast wrote detailed journals on the events of Jenova Project S.
- Gast fled ShinRa in 1980.

*This logic comes from the CC Q&A that says "Angeal and Genesis were created at roughly the same time, and were deemed as failed projects when they were babies. Project S took the results from Project G and added further improvements, so Sephiroth’s birth was later than Angeal and Genesis’," assuming Sephiroth was not concieved until after Angeal and Genesis were deemed failures as babies.
**This logic comes from the timeline info that says Zack was determined to become a SOLDIER in 1997, and the info from the UO that says Sephiroth was the first SOLDIER. Ergo, if SOLDIER existed in 1997, Sephiroth was a SOLDIER in 1997.

Neutron Ronnie

AKA
Powerslave
I'm still reading the Omega reports! :P I just can't bring myself to resume playing Dirge of Cerberus yet... T.T

That's some really interesting info, thank you! Btw, where does it say that Gast wrote the reports? Seph accuses Gast of "producing" him when he's talking to Cloud (or really Zack) in Cloud's flashback... But the reports he reads mention that "Gast named it Jenova"... Like they were written by someone else...

Ravynne Nevyrmore

AKA
Ravynne
Sephiroth's Anniversary Ultimania profile:

Final Fantasy VII 10th Anniversary Ultimania said:
/BC/CC - Nibelheim
Locked himself up in the ShinRa Manor and read over the documents left by Professor Gast, where he discovered that he was created by the Jenova Project.
http://thelifestream.net/final-fantasy-vii/523/sephiroth-character-profile-p76-81/

Also—

FF7 said:
Sephiroth
"....an organism that was apparently dead, was found in a 2000
year old geological stratum."
"Professor Gast named that organism, Jenova..."

(The camera pans up.)

Sephiroth
"X Year, X Month, X Day. Jenova confirmed to be an Ancient..."
"X Year, X Month, X Day. Jenova Project approved. The use of Mako
Reactor 1 approved for use..."

(Sephiroth walks down a narrow hallway lined with books. He stops and
looks upwards.)

Sephiroth
"My mother's name is Jenova... Jenova Project... Is this just a
coincedence?"
http://members.fortunecity.com/sephkatana/ff7stuff/ff7disc1.txt

You're right, he does speak of Gast in 3rd person, though I got the impression that it was because Sephiroth was actually commenting on what he was reading at that part rather than reading it verbatim.

Conversely, it could be that someone else (Hojo or Lucrecia, perhaps) wrote them, but Gast is the one credited as having "left them" either way. For the purposes of the timeline, I think it's clear that Gast was with ShinRa and still behind the Jenova Project when they were written, either way. He clearly had responsibility for them whether he held the pen or not.

Neutron Ronnie

AKA
Powerslave
Look at what was in the Crisis Core Ultimania Scenario Q&A:

"A2-1: Project S and Project G began at roughly the same time. They were lead by Hojo and Hollander respectively, and the department head Gast has little participation in either project."

:aah:

Looks like he participated enough to leave documents, though. :P While that's technically possible, isn't it slightly weird? I mean, the head of the department writing reports for projects he had little to do with?

Btw, there isn't a definite (or even approximate) date as to when Dr Valentine found the Protomateria at the Fountian of Chaos, is there? Except that it was probably pre-1977...

Oh, and forgive me for asking this here, but the Fountain of Chaos is where Lucretia is currently sealed up, isn't it?

OWA-2

Pro Adventurer
I would like to see a complete timeline of FFVII's world. Something similar to what the FFIX Ultimania did(a timeline that starts 5000 years before the game started, and goes until the end of the game's story).

Neutron Ronnie

AKA
Powerslave
I would like to see a complete timeline of FFVII's world.

So would I, dammit... :(

But it looks like one isn't coming out any time soon, which is why I tried compiling my own, lol. But a lot of it is guesswork based on Ultimania translations and the English script of the original game (which may not be 100% accurate?)

*sigh*

Ravynne Nevyrmore

AKA
Ravynne
powerslave said:
"A2-1: Project S and Project G began at roughly the same time. They were lead by Hojo and Hollander respectively, and the department head Gast has little participation in either project."

:aah:

Looks like he participated enough to leave documents, though. :P While that's technically possible, isn't it slightly weird? I mean, the head of the department writing reports for projects he had little to do with?
And a prime example of why it's so taxing to sort any of this out.

powerslave said:
Btw, there isn't a definite (or even approximate) date as to when Dr Valentine found the Protomateria at the Fountian of Chaos, is there? Except that it was probably pre-1977...
Nope, just that it was after Lucrecia graduated from college, and we also don't know when that happened.

powerslave said:
the Fountain of Chaos is where Lucretia is currently sealed up, isn't it?
Correct, except her name is spelled with a C. =P

Neutron Ronnie

AKA
Powerslave
Thanks, Ravynne, for clarifying the bit about the Fountain of Chaos. :D

Correct, except her name is spelled with a C. =P

I could've sworn I saw it as "Lucretia" when I was playing DoC, but it's been too long, I'll have to check. ^_^"

Neutron Ronnie

AKA
Powerslave
My bad then... I must've been thinking of the other chick Lucretia... Dunno how I mixed them up in my head, sorry. :P

Thank you for correcting me. :)

Top Bottom