A small linguistic clarification

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
Well, I was thinking about it for a while, and back then I couldn't find an answer to my doubts.

These doubts were about the Forgotten Capital's name. In AC/C, there seemed to be mentions of "Ajit". Would that be the name? If so, why was mentioned so little, and why it wasn't mentioned in FF7?

Today I think I got the answer. I'm going to need hitoshura's help, probably, to confirm this, for his knowledge is way vaster than mine.

Anyway. It appears that "アジト" means "Hideout", and is pronounced "Ajito". Is it a coincidence that it's pronounced the same way as the city? It is not, in my opinion, and the city still has no name. When "Ajit" is mentioned, they are mentioning in fact the probable localization of Kadaj's gang's hideout. Of course, it is only my take on the matter, but I thought it made far more sense than a rather unused name...

Just thought I'd share this with you :joy:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
The city has no name. The genius fansubbers called the "hideout" by its Japanese it name, as if it were it's given name, when it wasn't. So really, you're right :monster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
lol yeah, I was wondering about that. The official subtitles off the DVD translated it as 'their base' (which can be a synonym for hideout, as far as I'm concerned, and I'm no language purist), so I was a bit lolling when the fansub said 'Ajit' or whatever.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Yeah, it's more likely to be hideout. There's no way to tell it's supposed to be a name, given that it's exactly the same as an existing word. I assume the person who fansubbed it had never seen or heard the word before (or just throught people kept reusing this name :monster: ), it being written in katakana throw them off into thinking it was a name, and didn't bother looking it up to make sure.

But yeah, no, not a name :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yeah the katakana probably would have thrown me off. Where's it come from, do you know? Since the katakana words usually originate from another language. Is ajit another language for hideout?

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
It comes from 'agitating point', apparently :monster:

Edit; although I just read something that said it came from Russian, but I don't know Russian :monster:

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I know a girl that speaks russian, I'll try and track her down.

Agitating point...how strange, not that it would be a first. I always thought it was strange that the verb for cutting class, サボる(saboru), comes from sabotage :P. You're sabotaging...your future, I guess. :monster:

Smaddy

Green Mage
I know a girl that speaks russian, I'll try and track her down.

Agitating point...how strange, not that it would be a first. I always thought it was strange that the verb for cutting class, サボる(saboru), comes from sabotage :P. You're sabotaging...your future, I guess. :monster:
I always loved the "artsy" descriptive ways words are used in various languages. I studied foreign language for many years, and some of the expressions are really amusing. You can't translate them literally, or else you'll end up with a disaster. I don't think I've seen it in FF7's translation, other than enemy names that are supposed to be puns/wordplay, and it was literally or phonetically translated as opposed to actually looking at what it's supposed to be.

RE: "Ajit"-- I could be remembering wrong, but this name might also have been used in the "unofficial" FF7 Guide (not the Brady one, the Ultimate one). But the author says he used an early Japanese copy, so a few things may have changed. I wish I could track down my copy of that guide to confirm this.

Last edited:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I talked to a prostitute from Belarus, does that count? :monster:.

AND MEBBE WE CAN HAVES SEXY TIME YES?

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
Edit; although I just read something that said it came from Russian, but I don't know Russian
Dunno if reviving an 11-year-old thread just to bring some clarity is worth it, but... No, it doesn't come from Russian. The only word it reminds me of is ajika, which is a spicy Abkhazian sauce, so not even close.

The city has no name. The genius fansubbers called the "hideout" by its Japanese it name, as if it were it's given name, when it wasn't.
^ This must be the only explanation, really :lol:

Fade

SHR
Hey, let's use this revival to talk about how fucken weird the Forgotten Capital actually was. Were the Cetra fish-people? Was the Forgotten Capital once located underwater? Nobody knows. Would've blown some minds in the Remake if the Shinra reel had shown the Cetra as full-on Atlantean, though.

Also, one of the most underrated tracks of the FFVII OST.

Reactions: Wol

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
Hey, let's use this revival to talk about how fucken weird the Forgotten Capital actually was.
Great idea! Mods, perhaps we should change the name of the thread just a bit then?

My headcanon is that the place used to be located underwater, yes, but when the Cetra settled down, it had already dried up. They just used the remains of the shells as houses and decorations. I wonder if it has always looked so lifeless, without any vegetation. I can't really rely on the film in the Shinra HQ, because it was a product of their imagination, not a historically accurate visualization. Besides, I don't remember if Aerith ever showed any attachment or special feelings towards water...

I also remember my very first playthroughs: when Cloud bumps into glowing orbs and says, "Ugh, Ancients' words, I don't understand, blah-blah", I expected him to learn a bit of their language or to acquire the ability to understand it somehow. Never happened. -_-

Also, one of the most underrated tracks of the FFVII OST.
I love this track! Its Remake arrangement made me drop my jaw for sure. What makes you think it's underrated? :mon:

Maybe... This area was underwater untl Jenova struck the planet. In trying to heal itself, the planet drew so much energy to the crater that the area froze, and the water was pulled back into the Glacier, revealing the shells of the giant sea creatures. When the Cetra came en masse to the area to try to help the planet heal, they settled into these ready-made shelters, and built the main complex as a way of monitoring and recording their efforts (as a warning to future generations?)

I love the music for the Forgotten Capital. It manages to be wierdly unearthly without being frightening or creepy.

Top Bottom