About Spoilers

clowd

Pro Adventurer
Its bothering me that peeps are assuming everybody knows every plot detail about the game and the fate of every character and are showing no hesitation to post such things even when they arent necessary.

Maybe I've been guilty of this a bit but guys, FF7 is an old game. Not everybody has played it. If theres alot of new people coming to this site who never played the game before I'd hate that they had a large portion of the story spoiled for them.

Back in '97 I had Aerith's death spoiled for me by an over enthusiastic friend on the phone and now nearly 20 years later I can only imagine how I would have viewed that scene had it not been spoiled.

So yeah alot of people in this game besides Aerith die, so maybe we shouldnt spoil bigger things like that?

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
I see the point but this forum is for fans of the game and the compilation and all, so I think it's safe to assume that people here know what's going to happen.

At least that's my take :monster:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
I see the point but this forum is for fans of the game and the compilation and all, so I think it's safe to assume that people here know what's going to happen.
I couldn't agree more.

But it's inevitable for a game this old and popular for newbies to find out major plot points and spoilers, whether they come on this site or not.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Also, I too had Aerith's death spoiled for me but this was when FFX was released and I was just getting into Final Fantasy, so I can sympathize :monster:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Gotta have to disagree.

I hate spoilers as well and generally think the "it's x years old!" isn't an excuse to go ahead and spoil stuff for people, but I also think one has to exercise common sense when it comes to avoiding spoilers since I don't think this should apply to an enthusiast board where that subject has already been discussed, dissected and analyzed to hell and back.

For example, I didn't wanna have plot details from The Hobbit spoiled for me when the movies came out - which is why I wouldn't have touched any Hobbit/Tolkien forums or articles with a ten foot pole. Because I knew people would be discussing plot details freely - they would've been doing so for years and years before any movies were even announced. It would've been unreasonable for me to suddenly expect people to hide all spoilers just because I'm new.

On a more general forum I would agree about spoiler tagging things - but for a board *specifically about* FFVII this doesn't make a lot of sense. We've been swimming in spoilers forever.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
For example, I didn't wanna have plot details from The Hobbit spoiled for me when the movies came out - which is why I wouldn't have touched any Hobbit/Tolkien forums or articles with a ten foot pole.
Likewise when the game comes out, if you don't want spoilers, I'd probably avoid this forum for a while

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Tets is spot on but I do think clowd raises an interesting point. For years, we've been able to assume that virtually everyone here has played FFVII and won't get spoiled by plot discussions, but with the remake coming out, we should expect some less experienced players, including some totally new players, as well.

I really don't think we should be spoiler-tagging every FFVII thread, since that would be half our content, but it couldn't hurt to 1. Review our spoiler policy, 2. Make sure it's posted in a place which will be visible to new members and 3. Create a spoiler-free discussion thread closer to the time of the remake's release.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I also wanna add: I will of course support spoiler tags for any changes, new additions and surprises in the Remake.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
I'm fine with a spoiler free topic as well when the game comes out. That's a good idea

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
For example, I didn't wanna have plot details from The Hobbit spoiled for me when the movies came out - which is why I wouldn't have touched any Hobbit/Tolkien forums or articles with a ten foot pole. Because I knew people would be discussing plot details freely - they would've been doing so for years and years before any movies were even announced. It would've been unreasonable for me to suddenly expect people to hide all spoilers just because I'm new.

This is exactly how I was with Game of Thrones. Once I realized how big it was, I kept away from the sites and anything that discussed it, because 1) I knew fans of the books would be chatting about it in such sites, and 2) some people like to throw out the biggest spoilers to try and spoil it for newcomers.
So, it was basically on myself to stay 'unspoiled' while I watched the tv series.

Tets is spot on but I do think clowd raises an interesting point. For years, we've been able to assume that virtually everyone here has played FFVII and won't get spoiled by plot discussions, but with the remake coming out, we should expect some less experienced players, including some totally new players, as well.

I really don't think we should be spoiler-tagging every FFVII thread, since that would be half our content, but it couldn't hurt to 1. Review our spoiler policy, 2. Make sure it's posted in a place which will be visible to new members and 3. Create a spoiler-free discussion thread closer to the time of the remake's release.

I also wanna add: I will of course support spoiler tags for any changes, new additions and surprises in the Remake.

I support both of these; I think it'd be too hard to spoiler-tag all the 'spoilers' for VII's og at this point, but anything related to the Remake's additions and changes (such as once people start to play the first release of it) should probably be spoiler tagged for those who don't get to play it right away.

You know if I don't get a copy of the first release when other's on here do and everyone's spoil-tagging the heck out of stuff, I just might die if I can't read one of them. :monster: It's going to be incredibly hard to not spoil myself........

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
For years, we've been able to assume that virtually everyone here has played FFVII and won't get spoiled by plot discussions, but with the remake coming out, we should expect some less experienced players, including some totally new players, as well.

We also know there is a hilariously large amount of our old timers who're much less FFVII-knowledged than others. That being said, most people here know the levels of detail that FFVII is being discussed -- which is to the deepest extremes.

I think that making a "new to FFVII" section closer to the release is probably best for everyone, especially since we'll likely be able to manage the content episodically -- especially since even WE will be encountering new things/new experiences with the Remake.

X :neo:

Wolf_

Pro Adventurer
So what does a ff7 fan forum discuss without talking about any of the storyline?

...... So... Weather's looking a bit shitty today....

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
So what does a ff7 fan forum discuss without talking about any of the storyline?

About the weather, you live in UK, so what did you expect? :monster:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
TBH I think FFVII (the original game) being spoiled is like....I dunno, spoiling Casablanca or the Wizard of Oz or something? I mean in the gaming world at least, it has become part of the culture.

That said, for the new version we should approach it like we would any other new game.

Cabaret

Donator

Please see the General section :monster:

Perhaps tagging threads that won't contain spoilers in the title might help. We can assume that most threads have spoilers, but the threads that shouldn't include spoilers could be marked out so a person not wanting ancient history spoiled could navigate the site easily.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Yes, at this point it would be far easier to tag non-spoilery threads than the reverse. We can make a notice that this is the spoiler policy, 'cause I sure as shit ain't making an effort to do the video game equivalent of tagging every instance of "the boat sinks" in a discussion about "Titanic."

aszach01

Pro Adventurer
The game is almost 2 decades old, certainly at this point in time if you still didn't play FFVII then it won't be any spoilers free for you most specifically in the forums heck or the internet.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I can imagine that there's a number of people that would like to not be spoiled with visuals, redesigns, new cutscenes, that kinda thing - might be worth warning about spoilers / marking things as non-spoiler / using spoiler tags for new things from now on.

I'd definitely mark spoilers if there's any story differences with the original, or even new plot points.

Who knows, maybe they'll resolve the LTD debate :awesome:.

Wolf_

Pro Adventurer
Surely we all know the original story and the remake is the same story. Even if you assume that it isn't nobody knows anything because it's not out yet. I get it in the general chat, but the remake discussion threads seem a bit redundant. If you click on it then you want to know.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
a hilariously large amount of our old timers who're much less FFVII-knowledged
that's not off-putting at all

I'm... honestly not sure what you mean by that...

That line was actually indirectly referencing a thread that I made at the start of the year after a bunch of us were all having a laugh together about suddenly finding out who amongst us had been longtime members of a FFVII-specific site hadn't done all sorts of things to do with the game at all, especially because we never knew it and would never have expected it a lot of the time.

Simply put -- it's not just potential newcomers to the forums brought in by the Remake who might not know X & Y happens. There're plenty of other folks around here that don't know various things about the OG or the Compilation, but it's pretty par for the course that we discuss them all openly in detail here since that's largely what the forum is about.

The Remake will be treated like any other new game for all intents and purposes though, which can even include a general rule about having a more muted discussion related towards known events in the OG occur during that part of the game's release.

Hell, we can probably even do what ACF did back in the day and have a Sub-Forum of the main Spoiler-Enforced Remake Forum that's password protected with a description like: This is a non-spoiler forum, whose password is "Midgar" so that we can have conversation for all of it going at once without worrying about crossover, and then after X period of time, we can merge them or not depending on what people want.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
It comes across (unintentionally, I'm sure) as being a bit elitist.

Or perhaps, as someone who's not up on all the minutiae of the game myself, it's up to one's perception.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
It comes across (unintentionally, I'm sure) as being a bit elitist.

Or perhaps, as someone who's not up on all the minutiae of the game myself, it's up to one's perception.

I s'pose I can see that, but it was meant just as a joking tone about the fact that there're some long-time regulars here who haven't ever made their way past Midgar, or other miscellaneous parts of the game, but still manage to enjoy things here despite OG and Compilation-related spoilers being openly discussed.

For lack of a better comparison, it's like being on a Wizard of Oz forum, where it's mostly people who've read all the books and such, and then finding out some other long-time members haven't watched past the initial Black & White section of the Judy Garland film but are still totally awesome people. Then a new adaptation of the film is being released, and when conversation about how much of the original film should be openly discussed there, because of renewed interest, you just crack a joke about how even the people who haven't watched the original are still here and unbothered by the discussions, but the specific details of the new film will be discussed without spoilers when it comes out -- as per usual -- in their own section.

Hopefully that all made sense...

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
The game is almost 2 decades old, certainly at this point in time if you still didn't play FFVII then it won't be any spoilers free for you most specifically in the forums heck or the internet.

I have a 13 year old nephew who really likes video games and texted me the day of the second trailer release " Did you see that game called Final Fantasy 7? It looks awesome!"

I know its hard to accept but we are all old and there are younger people than us out there in this planet :P

As far as spoiler tagging etc. Could just do what ACF did when Advent Children was leaked. Make a section for people who have seen the movie to discuss it and move any spoilery discussion there. ezpz.

Top Bottom