• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

About the Sister Ray name bullshit

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
You know how a lot of people claim it has been "renamed" by Scarlet after the transport to Midgar?

I was always under the impression she just reminded Rufus what the actual name is, since everyone always refers to it as the Mako Cannon.

And indeed, in my game she says "this new weapon IS called..." while apparently in the English one she says "this new weapon WILL BE called..."

...so what's the correct one?
What does she say in the original Japanese?

OWA-2

Pro Adventurer
You know how a lot of people claim it has been "renamed" by Scarlet after the transport to Midgar?

I was always under the impression she just reminded Rufus what the actual name is, since everyone always refers to it as the Mako Cannon.

And indeed, in my game she says "this new weapon IS called..." while apparently in the English one she says "this new weapon WILL BE called..."

...so what's the correct one?
What does she say in the original Japanese?

Sister Ray is the correct name. Before the slap-fight with Scarlet, when you are walking through the cannon with Tifa, you can see the name wrote on it.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
lol I never noticed that the name of the canon was written on it during the slap fight. I'll have to go replay that part again. XD

Also Scarlet is totally a feminist. :P

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I can't find a working script now/cba to look more, but whereabouts is this? (disk 2 in Midgar, Rufus' office?) I'm playing through it right now, so I'll have a look for it if nothing turns up.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Yeah, disc 2. After you inserted the key in the Forgotten Capital. It's close towards the end of the second disc.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Yeah but then people are like "oh lol, continuity error".

I'd go with 'Scarlet's trying to steal someone else's good idea' before continuity error in this case.

PEOPLE are more fallible than the visual and auditory record, in most case.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I'm planning to only go through Crisis Core (100% playthrough) and key moments of FFVII before the ACC release. :wacky:
Yes, I made save games for all my favorite scenes. :geek:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Passed that bit today :monster:

この新兵器の名前は… シスター・レイよっ!

It's just 'this new weapon's name [as for that]... Sister Ray!' It could be either, really. Since it's 'new weapon', that might suggest it's supposed to be a new name. Unless it was something Scarlet had been working on since it was in Junon. Or just an oversight by the developers :monster:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
The Junon Cannon was modified by Scarlet later in FFVII's story to fire the condensed Mako Energy from all the Mako Reactors in Midgar. Making it essentially, a different weapon.

Hence, earning a new name. The Sister Ray. The fact it has the name "Sister Ray" before Scarlet's proclamation, is a continuity error due to the graphical limitations of the game.

Top Bottom