• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

ACC to be released on Ultra HD Blu-ray this June

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Yeah, as much as I love this movie and think it looks amazing despite being 16 years old, unless Square Enix went back to their production files and maybe used like... the uncompressed footage, an upscale of the Blu-Ray edition can only do so much. There's a limit that exists in terms of the visual data that makes up the film.

Unless they're going hard with using some machine learning AI to fill in the gaps and increase graphic quality, I'm not sure what more this can add to the visual experience of watching it.

I'm curious but I'm honestly not expecting much improvement. There's simply a limit to what can be done via upscaling and I think we saw that.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
It won't be Safe and Sound :monster:

It'll be Calling, just like last time.

To see what AI can do, take a look at Dirge of Cerberus' opening CGI cutscene remastered. Remember, this was a cutscene from a 2006 PS2 game. This is the type of magic that can be done if used for good.

If S-E can pull some shit off like this? I'd buy ACC again. But I doubt they will. :monster:

SilverArrow20XX

Pro Adventurer
Yeah.
Having just watched my AC bluray less than a week ago, it looked pretty rough in a lot of spots, that I presume they didn't have the assets for anymore.
Not sure this release will be worth it.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Yeah.
Having just watched my AC bluray less than a week ago, it looked pretty rough in a lot of spots, that I presume they didn't have the assets for anymore.
Not sure this release will be worth it.
Didn't the Remake devs say they initially considered using Barret's AC model (or parts of it) before deciding to completely remake his model from scratch? That would imply they still have at least some AC assets right?

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Tbh if they just upscaled from 1080p/2K that'd be fine because most movies available in 4K are upscales from 2K DIs to begin with. The main thing for me is really less compression, HDR and the wider color gamut.
But there is the aforementioned issue of ACC not even being native 1080p/2K to begin with.

To see what AI can do, take a look at Dirge of Cerberus' opening CGI cutscene remastered. Remember, this was a cutscene from a 2006 PS2 game. This is the type of magic that can be done if used for good.

If S-E can pull some shit off like this? I'd buy ACC again. But I doubt they will. :monster:

I'm not really a fan of how that looks tbh. Lots of weird upscaling artifacting.

I mean fuck, they should just do what Pixar did for the Toy Story Blu's and rerender that shit :monster:

SilverArrow20XX

Pro Adventurer
Didn't the Remake devs say they initially considered using Barret's AC model (or parts of it) before deciding to completely remake his model from scratch? That would imply they still have at least some AC assets right?

Hopefully.
I hear they rerendered Kingsglaive for the recent 4K release rather than just doing an upscale. Not sure what happened with the ACC bluray release.
In particular, the scene with Cloud meeting Rufus at Healen looked really bad.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
How likely is it that their original, internal renders of each frame were higher quality than the original release?

Given that they've used upscaling in the past for rereleases, probably not likely. But there's no way they can stretch 420p to 4K.
Or can they?

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
The only thing that'll make me regret getting a Digital Only PS5 is a decent version of ACC in 4K. Hopefully it's not so good it gives me buyer's remorse :P

I see it includes a digital version but I can't be bothered with that lol

Ryuman

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pointlessname, Pointer
I feel like no one high up is involved in this. Just someone deciding to rerelease ACC in a new format to coincide with Intergrade. If they suddenly pull out some amazing 4K footage then I'll concede and eat my hat (That is, I'll buy it at whatever price they have at day 1).

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Like, they could have done the visual comparison like they did with FFVII-R Intergrade, showing the differences between releases but they didn't.

Instead, I feel like I just watched the Square Enix Party trailer from 2007.

They're the same fucking thing.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
HDR10 is basically a type of range of high definition visual quality. It's open source versus the proprietary standard that is Dolby Vision. Dolby Vision is capable of dynamic brightness and visuals that can change scene by scene or even frame by frame thanks to having dynamic metadata. And dolby will set shit up to make sure a movie or whatever looks best since it's attached to their brand.

HDR10 does not do that. It's static and open source. However it still offers a high level of visual quality for the technology. However. It all depends on how effective the studio or whatever is able to utilize the tech. I guess we'll see :monster:

I have no idea why they even did this.

This is the same as Advent Children Complete. Like, this is literally the same as ACC's footage from 2009, there is no fucking improvement here. The same scenes that are at 720p and remastered in the Blu-Ray release look stellar, while the other parts look good but not the same level HD.

Like, I hate that I have to scrutinize and come off like I'm slagging this movie because overall it looks fucking amazing for a CGI film from 2005, but... This ain't fucking 4k. This is barely 1080p. If they want to go hard and improve it, then they need to actually improve it.

I'm not crazy am I? I don't see it, there's no change in this footage, like lol wtf?

Last edited:

BioTeach

Pro Adventurer
Any word on whether this release will include new bonus features (like the Reminiscence of Final Fantasy VII Compilation added in the Complete release)?

SilverArrow20XX

Pro Adventurer
Just finished watching the Kingsglaive 4k bluray.
The HDR looked great 99% of the time.
There were a couple weird spots though.
One where a few citizens in the background were glowing like holograms during a car scene.
And another when a certain monster dissipates. He glows WAY too brightly.

I expect that kind of stuff on this release too.
It'll still enhance the movie overall though.

Sadly, I have no faith that they'll properly rerender the movie.

Top Bottom