Advice needed...How should I play Dark Souls?

Celes777

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hey guys! Anyone who played Dark Souls?
I want to play this game but I would like to know what people think about the experience first...

Should I start with Dark Souls I first? Or can I jump into 3? I do want to learn about the story.
I heard the game is super difficult...how possible is it for someone who can only pass NieR Automata (on PC) at easy mode to play Dark Souls (also on PC)? :desucait:

Should I have someone help me in the game?

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
In a padded room so you don't break a controller, or a limb.

Jokes aside (Though not really) I'm curious to know as well because I suck HARD at these games.

What I can say is you can kinda slide in anywhere since the stories are kinda background material you have to unpack yourself, and deal in different eras connected by the same mythology, with Bloodborne being entirely it's own new mythology.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
If you're interested in unpacking the story, all the recommendations that I've heard from my friends who're really into the Souls series games say to start with the Remaster, and then go into 2 & 3 since while the story is something that's largely told in the details in the Souls series, it's very much there if you want it.

I know that there're a lot of tactics for the games if you're having a tough time with them. I think that the games are largely built around learning patterns and reacting to them. The best way to know how you do with them is to give them a try. This little "basics" guide on Kotaku is a decent overview of what to be aware of to help yourself have a clear shot: https://kotaku.com/tips-for-playing-dark-souls-remastered-1826332033

I remember back when I played Demons' Souls I had a really good time with it, despite not playing a lot of really challenging games but I dead-ended myself with a weapon that didn't scale up well for late game things, and didn't want to re-learn tactics and moves to change off of my build, so I moved on to a different game (and also I was playing in tandem with my brother who got ganked by an invader who also wrecked all of his gear which just made him instantly stop caring). I just haven't gotten around to playing any of the other From Soft games despite really liking them in concept, since I have very little time to dive in on games like that these days.

X :neo:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Gameplay wise I think DS3 is the best one to start with, it's the most polished experience I think. Still throws you in the deep end to a degree, but it's doable. The first area is relatively short and relatively easy. Relatively.

Alternatively, Bloodborne but that has a very difficult first part which will take many tries and retries to finally get through. If at all.

Both bring you into the DS mindset though - exploration, persistence, and git gud. That is, learn how to read your enemies and avoid their attacks, most of them have a very clear indicator.

Castiel Strife

Pro Adventurer
I agree with Cthulhu in that Dark Souls 3 does have the best gameplay. However, if you play that one first you may not one to go back to the other two. So personally, if you really want the full story, I’d play them in order.

As for how you should play... With people, lol. Those games are pretty crazy at times. There’ll be times where you’re wondering why you’re allowing yourself to put up with the torture. I platinumed Bloodborne, and though that’s ridiculous at times too I still find the Souls series a bit more difficult. If you have friends to play with, definitely go that route. It may or may not make the game easier, but it’ll at least make it more fun and the torture more bearable.

Top Bottom