Aerith or Aeris?

AerithLives

Pro Adventurer
I am just wondering what everyones opinions are on what Sqaure Enix will do with the dialogue?

I am assuming things like Aeris will be changed to Aerith. Spelling and such will be neatened up and tidied. etc.

My biggest question really is what people think they will do with the date at the Golden Saucer, the night spent under the Highwind with Tifa and Cloud/Tifas trip through the lifestream.
Will these massive story line sections be padded out to answer more questions in the story line, or at least make it easier for people to understand, or do you think they will be kept exactly the same as they were in the original?

I also wonder if they will merge Zack in there a little better this time so there arent millions of people who play it who miss out big parts of the storyline because they didnt look in the Shinra Mansion at the right time?

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I'm about 98% sure Aeris will be Aerith since that's what she's been in everything after the original game.

As for everything else, I have no idea, but I do think that video game developers are less willing to leave things to chance nowadays. If they spend time working on something important, like the basement flashback, they will want to make sure that people see it.

Wolf_

Pro Adventurer
As games are far more graphic these days I think they should be altered to suit. That being said, square will never so much as show a kiss with either of them because it alienates half a fanbase and one side is going to get to say "I told you so" after 20 years. I never liked the name Aerith.. Just doesn't seem to be as nice to say as Aeris. The stuff about zack really does need changing. I must have played the game 3 times at the age of 8 and never saw the cutscene in the basement or the icicle inn which I think is key to the story.

AerithLives

Pro Adventurer
See, I personally feel like they should perhaps keep it the same but just make it easier to access. Otherwise people are going to play it (maybe for the first time) and go "WTF, there are story line holes in this you can crash a meteor through!". I would like to see it as mandatory to see them to finish the story line at least.

Personally I liked that they were optional. I don't see them as mandatory to understand the story, but they're there to flesh it out if you happen to find it/look for it.

I have always liked Aerith more than Aeris; the latter has a hissing sound at the end, whereas Aerith is softer. But if they have any sense, they will allow us to choose.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Quite sure they'll go with "Aerith." Which is the spelling I use myself, but I've always pronounced it like "Aeris," which I knew first, and which sounds prettier to my ears.

As for Zack, yes, definitely expect his flashbacks to be required viewing.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Aerith, it's really prettier written like this I think.

I won't lie, I want more Zack, because he felt barely brushed in FFVII when he was such a major character to both Cloud and Aerith. It's only fair (haha) that we'd get more of him in the game through flashbacks and whatnot.

And the Lifestream scene better be awesome. To me, that was one of the most important moments, if not the most important in FFVII. You know, as we finally discover who Cloud is, yadda, yadda.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I always thought the Zack scene should probably just go at the end of the lifestream sequence. However, I do remember my excitement when I was just revisiting places around the world map on disc three because I was obsessed and stumbled upon a new cutscene!

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
it'll be a cold day in hell before i call her aerith

i could give af about spelling it the "right" way if it means millions of people are going to say it the wrong way

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
We actually briefly touch on this exact issue in the Podcast (ahem, #shamelesspromotion)
but for me it really depends.

Personally I prefer Aeris. I think the look of the name is prettier and I do like the sound of it, hiss sound not withstanding. Aerith sounds like you are saying "Aeris" but without your two front teeth.

That said, I'm sure canonically it's "Aerith" and that's probably what they'll go with.

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
Aerith for myself

As for the Zack flashbacks I thought they might fit in nicely just after Cloud and Tifa emerge from the lifestream and Cloud is still unconscious, Clouds knows who he is at this point and it would very nicely lead into that flashback before he wakes up and tells everyone about what happened to him.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
I prefer Aerith and mentally substitute any instance of Aeris with it. I figure people have just as much a right to say one or the other so as long as no one tries to make an issue of it, I won't. The fact that they used Aerith consistently in everything means they'd be better off going with that spelling for consistency though.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I prefer the Aerith spelling/pronunciation, it's what I was introduced to first and seems to the consistent standard that SE has been been using since it was introduced, don't see much of a reason to change it.

Kashkabald

eu fiz cocó no teu tabuleiro
I don't get people that have trouble pronouncing "Aerith" but can pronounce "Sephiroth". Why not ask Square to rename him Sephiros?

Metal Heart

quiet like a fight
Aerith is better than Aeris. TBH, the whole point of changing her name was a translation error from stuff I heard back in the day.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I say "Aeris," but write Aerith when I think of it or in official TLS stuff.

I'm the same. Visually "Aerith" is how I recognize it now, but my pronunciation stays old-school. (It took me AGES to switch from saying "may-ko" to saying "mah-ko" a majority of the time).

X :neo:

Top Bottom