• Not ugly

Votes: 33 97.1%

• Total voters

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
To be fair, I think the gif version is faster than the trailer. :monster:

But also in animation, things tend to be exaggerated or else the animation won't feel fluid and ends up just being stiff. Yeah, yeah, VG=/= animation, but the rules still apply. Real life is not that exaggerated in motion, but if you apply the same logic to animation/VG, you just end up with awkwardly stiff stoic faces.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I think most of the facial animation in FFXII is realistic and subtle, and I never felt like they had trouble communicating the characters’ emotions. FFXIII is also pretty good, yes, even Vanille.

My point is that Aeris is just asking “Hey, you all right?” And animating her like every muscle has an important stake in that epic sentence provides a very hammy performance that doesn’t match the voice actor or the context of the line.

But ehh my wife who is also an actor thinks it is not hammy at all so idk maybe I just like stoic faces.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I like how she looks. She still looks like a Final Fantasy character, but also shows them getting out of the "same face sydrome" that a lot of the central characters suffer from.

I mean, I think the FFXV models did that as well. I think Aerith just stands out a lot, as far as the "typical Final Fantasy" character goes. I really like how she looks :) I agree and think she maybe looks more half-white than totally white. Which is fine. The characters namesakes makes me think of them as white for the most part, but they are also a Japanese property so having a foot in Asian features makes sense as well. It's all good imo.

Also happy to see they're changing the lip sync to reflect the voice overs.

Ite

AKA
Ite
Yes but re-timing the body language is the next step. Any chance of that happening?

BforB

Pro Adventurer
AKA
B
That is the Japanese gif of that line, what do you make of the English version? Slight different variation. I'll post'em side by side.

ENGLISH:
english-gif.3106

"Are you okay?"

JAPANESE:
japanese-gif.3107

"Ne, daijobu?"

OOOOOOH. @Mr. Ite's remark about Aerith's face looking hammy makes sense to me now. In the context of the Japanese version, her facial expressions look perfectly natural. Apart from the fact that they most likely used a Japanese person as her character model (thus adopting their mannerisms), "Daijoubu?" tends to feel like it carries a bit more emotional weight than "Are you okay?", so when you take this and put it into an English-language context without the nuance of the language-specific connotations, it seems like what it resulted in was a slight 'cultural disparity'.

Last edited:

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
Eyebrows are a thing that varies from person to person to such a degree the argument essentially becomes moot. Hell, ever see an interview with the actress that plays Danaerys on Game of Thrones? Her eyebrow movements is crazy. Here is a video with a lot of close-ups:

I think the Aerith version is pretty tame. Especially when you know it's from a character who tries fairly often to empathize with those around her, which usually necessitates a great deal of eyebrow adjustment.

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
I think Aerith looks fine in both gifs. I am not some master of animation or facial expression, though, so I have no professional input. It does look like SE made an effort to have the mouth movement reflect the language, which I like.

Ite

AKA
Ite
Now I’m starin at those gifs... @_@ it’s perhaps exaggerated by the woozy-cam they’ve got going. Clouds POV locks onto her eyes (how sweet) so they’re anchored in place while everything else is in motion. I find S-E’s photography direction overstimulating sometimes.

Ite

AKA
Ite
On that note, I was a bit worried by that spiral down to Aerith in the first shot. They may do some crazy shit to try and top the original's zoom out-zoom in thing. And I probably will whine about it.

Square-Enix’s DOP rarely lets the shots breathe — everything zooms and whirls so damn fast it makes a Michael Bay movie look like Rear Window.

Ite

AKA
Ite
Er, don’t hold your breath. It’s been like that since FFX.

We should have a “7 Most... Obnoxious Zooms” contest. Jessie’s face reveal in the new trailer is a top contender.

Castiel Strife

Pro Adventurer
Ugly? That’s a pretty strong word. She isn’t the slightest bit ugly. People just complain to complain. Of course all of the characters are going to look different. It’s been over 20 years! Technology has evolved immensely since 1997. Isn’t that the whole reason we are remaking the game?

Aerith looks great. Cloud looked great to begin with and then they had to go and change him. He still looks fine. As does Barrett and everyone else. I wish fans could just be excited for the damn game. Everyone wanted this remake for so many years and now it’s just complaints about everything they do with it. This is probably why it took them so long to take the plunge to begin with. I’m sure they knew the fan backlash would be coming either way.

Last edited:

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Um...while I'm in agreement with you about Aerith, Cloud and everyone else, not everyone wanted this remake. I pretty much wanted a Remake of Before Crisis-Final Fantasy VII for years, and a sequel to Dirge of Cerberus. So there are some exceptions to this...or at least I'm the only one who wasn't that excited about the remake of the original game.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Um...while I'm in agreement with you about Aerith, Cloud and everyone else, not everyone wanted this remake. I pretty much wanted a Remake of Before Crisis-Final Fantasy VII for years, and a sequel to Dirge of Cerberus. So there are some exceptions to this...or at least I'm the only one who wasn't that excited about the remake of the original game.
I'm not that worked up over it yet either. Don't feel bad.

Castiel Strife

Pro Adventurer

I don’t literally mean “everyone”. I think that’s just sort of taking my post and dissecting it and arguing semantics. That being said, I did say “everyone” so I guess I deserved it.

I just meant a ton of fans wanted the remake. A ton of fans are also complaining about every little thing involving said remake. Or it may just be a vocal minority. But you can go to almost any FF7 Remake YouTube video and see for yourself. That’s all I meant by my post.

Ite

AKA
Ite
I’m gonna whine the hell, but ya gotta understand, you’ll also be getting my tears of joy. It’s just if I articulated every “OMG SO GOOD AJWHEHSISBZUDBDIDISSUDBE!!!!” Well it would get annoying. Whereas if I have actual criticisms I can describe, I can say them once and be done with it.

That said, I think it is good practice to place one’s criticisms between positives. This is called “the shit sandwich” and it goes a long way to easing the blow of the criticism and also makes you look less like a whiner.

Top Bottom