*Aerith's voice* Hell-llooo!

Luthyl

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
Planet scholar
Ok so I am pretty bad at this but let's give it a shot, *ahem*

Hi, I am a relatively new JRPG and FFVII enthusiast. I played the OG for the first time at the beginning of the year, and it's now one of my biggest regret in life to not have played it sooner.

As soon as the credits rolled I knew I experienced something unique and that, unfortunately, I won't be able to experience it for the first time ever again...
I was familiar with some of the characters (thanks to Kingdom Hearts *cough*) and knew about the unfortunate end of a certain someone, but apart from that I was totally going in blind.

I binged the rest of the compilation immediately after: played Crisis Core, read "On The Way to a Smile" and "The Maiden who travels the Planet" (that's how I found this site btw, thanks!), watched FFVII: ACC and Dirge of Cerberus (call me weak, but I didn't have enough will to play a third-person shooter game, sorry).

Then I played the Remake on PC and here I am! I have yet to read "The Kids Are Alright" novella and "Trace of Two Pasts", the translation can't come soon enough!

What hooked me immediately were the characters and the plot. I absolutely love it, the lore is fascinating and the challenging yet simple gameplay of the OG was the icing on the cake! I actually enjoyed playing a turn-based game and that's something. The gameplay of Crisis Core was alright and I had a blast playing Remake, but I can understand how it is not everyone's cup of tea.

So yeah, I am not much of a forum person usually, but after reading a few lore related threads, I decided to overcome my shyness and actually interact (and not just lurk) for once! Usually everyone is at each other's throat and from what I gathered, It doesn't seem to be too much the case here? A welcome sight.

I guess if you want to know a little more about me (and you have time to lose), you can check the "about" section in my profile.

Can't wait to delve deeper into the lore and eventually chat with you all!

Let's mosey.

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
That's quite an impressive resume you've got, I'll be the first to say it. Not a lot of time in the field, but you're clearly an enthusiastic candidate.

So tell us, which is better: chocobos or moogles?
groupinterview.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Luthyl

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
Planet scholar
That's quite an impressive resume you've got, I'll be the first to say it. Not a lot of time in the field, but you're clearly an enthusiastic candidate.

Welcome to the forum!

Ah that's a tough question, hmm...

Both of them are way too cute for their own good but can reveal themselves troublesome if they want to.
They both have cute and iconic catchphrases.

But look, you can ride chocobos. That's the coolest thing ever so they are ultimately better. (But no I still won't forget the feeling of betrayal I felt when my first chocobo ran away immediately after I put a foot on the ground, I don't care if the game tells you about it, it still hurts)

D-did I pass?

And thank you!

Leafonthebreeze

Any/All
AKA
Leaf
Hey! Welcome! The nice thing about forums is even when people are fighting, generally it's with a bit more understanding and nuance than elsewhere.

Also if you're looking for a tale of two paths translation, there's some good fan ones been done, including by members here, just check the thread for that novel!

Have fun! I joined claiming I would never post and then uh, absolutely did :monster:

Luthyl

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
Planet scholar
No worries, I'd link you to the thread but I'm on my phone on a train (as usual). Which is how I managed to call it the wrong name...

Don't worry, I think I found it. Can't wait to start reading tonight!

At the very least we have more than 280* characters to get the point across

*or however many they have over there now I am out of the loop

No idea either, but very true. Being limited in your explanations doesn't help.

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
@Luthyl That's the most impressive intro the Lifestream has seen in quite a while! Hope you'll love it here :lol:

TLS interrogation time!
My newly found ultimate greeting question was hijacked (I'm not mad tho, EM, we are a team! *hugs and squeezes*), so I'll have to ask you another!

Turks or SOLDIERs? :awesome:

P.S. There are no right or wrong answers, just choice for choice's sake.

P.P.S. Save gas. Ride a chocobo.

Luthyl

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
Planet scholar
Turks or SOLDIERs? :awesome:

Arghh don't make me choose! Sorry you have to go through an essay now, I don't make the rules. We are both probably going to regret this.
Obligatory tl;dr at the end.

Ok, so.

Both of them works for Shinra so from a moral standpoint ehh it's kind of iffy.

Turks killed thousands of innocent people with the sector 7 plate fall, just because they followed the orders. They knew that it was wrong, but they still did it. And if we take into consideration that one scene from the remake, we knew that they felt guilt to some extent but they still tried to justify themselves (or at least, Tseng tried to find justifications, the others didn't buy it. But his reaction to the whole thing is really telling of his mindset). So their sense of morality is ambiguous at best, even after meteorfall.

SOLDIERs on the other hand are just tools and toys to Shinra and the science department. The SOLDIER program allowed individuals like Hojo and Hollander to do whatever they wanted and pursue their goals towards transhumanism and we all know how that went: human experimentations, most of the time without approval or even awareness from the subject.
The SOLDIERs themselves though, seem from the most part to be blissfully unaware of this side of Shinra (at least until a point) and thinks they act for the greater good, or that their actions are indeed justified (honor, loyalty yada yada).

BUT, Turks have a really entertaining cast going for them. Everytime a Turk is on screen, you can't help but feel intrigued or smile. All of them have a unique personality and they make really compelling antagonists and/or comic relief. Reno, Rude, Elena, Tseng, even to an extent Cissnei. They are all memorable and fun characters.

I can't really say the same about all SOLDIERs.

Obviously Cloud doesn't count.
Angeal is... fine I guess. Some of his choices left me really confused, I think he could have handled things differently, it just felt strange. Or I just need to think about it more, I don't know.
Genesis is... well, Genesis. I don't hate him, I actually understand why he acts like that but I can't say he is a good antagonist and by the end I was kind of rolling my eyes everytime he was on screen. I think I can quote Loveless in my sleep now.
Luxiere is really annoying, that's the only reason why I remember him, but that was probably the point.
Roche is also annoying but at least he is so unhinged it becomes entertaining.
I actually liked Kunsel, even if he was a minor character. But seriously, how does he knows about everything? Is he actually a Turk in disguise? That might explains some things.

And then you have Sephiroth and Zack. There is a lot to unpack here but fear not! I won't delve into it (at least not right now ;) ). Let's just say I absolutely love them as characters and find them incredibly well written and compelling, for different reasons obviously.

I am also going to add that Turks have an actual musical theme, and it's a banger. They also wear suits, it's cool. SOLDIERs' uniforms are cool too (I may have a thing for turtlenecks) and they have swords and magic going for them.

So, I have to make a choice right? Well...

tl;dr
giphy.gif

But my heart ultimately goes to Zack and so by extension to SOLDIERs, I can't betray him sorry:monster:.

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
We are both probably going to regret this.
Impressive! No regrets whatsoever :properhug:

I would probably give the same reasoning for both, but I ultimately choose SOLDIER, because it seems to me they tend to have a lot more fun on a daily basis, you know, extracurricular activities in the military academy, all that fanclub thing going on, comradery, rumors, gossip, banter, local jokes, bisexuality, and uniforms. Yeah. I just love SOLDIERs and can't help it :D

Top Bottom