• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Albums/artists that took a long time to click.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Sometimes albums that take several listens to sink in can end up being some of the ones you enjoy the most. What are some albums or artists you didn't enjoy much the first time you heard them, but eventually their brilliance sunk in for you? Here are some of mine:
  • Yes - Close to the Edge
  • Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
  • Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica
  • Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
  • Enslaved - Mardraum: Beyond the Within
  • Neurosis - most of their discography (I think Souls at Zero was the first one to click)
  • Frank Zappa - most of his discography as well (Läther was the first one to click)
  • maudlin of the Well/Kayo Dot - basically all of their discography except Part the Second and Hubardo
there are probably others I'm not thinking of right now too

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
Slayer took a while to click with me, I remember when I first listened to Reign in Blood I genuinely thought it was shit. Decided a few months later to stick it on just for the heck of it and ten minutes in I was headbanging away and I've loved the album since

SoulReaper

Titties 'n' Beer
AKA
Lord_Graf
Well not a particular artist but it took me a very long time to really appreciate Jazz. After lots and lots of trying but being easily bored by it I finally grew the ears for it, and have now over 100 Jazz albums in my collection. (still not much, but)

I love being challenged as a listener. Wether it be by complex musicianship, density, weird atonality, strange sounds, musical and lyrical abstract/absurdism, and who knows what else that gives me that certain curiosity to spend time to learn (or not) to appreciate the esthetics of the music. So some of my favorite musicians such as Zappa, Captain Beefheart, The Residents, Gorguts, Swans, Ornette Coleman, etc. etc. all were artists that took time to grew on me, but also because I did let them grow on me. That's the beauty of discovering music imo, opening your ears for something a little different than what your ears are usually comfortable with.

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
The first time I listened to Ziggy Stardust by David Bowie, I didn't think it was anything special, but upon a second listen, I found it to be really catchy(especially that guitar riff), and found I really liked it. It's now one of my favorite Bowie songs.

AvecAloes

Donator
mewithoutYou's album Catch for Us the Foxes - the lead vocalist's voice is so different from anything I'd ever heard at that point, and the music itself was a lot, I don't know, rougher around the edges that I was used to. Didn't like it at all at first, but now they are one of my favorite bands, and I have all of their albums and love seeing them live.

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
Garbage - Version 2.0. Thought it was annoyingly scratchy at first, then realised it was perfect progression from the debut CD. IMO a very underrated band.

Also Black Holes and Revelations and The Second Law (both Muse). I love their early stuff with a passion, so these two were a bit of a detour for me, despite the instant love of Knights of Cydonia.

If I can appreciate that subsequent albums are or have progressed in some way, then I can usually find a reason to give them more listening time. Picking up a CD and having to relisten to find an appreciation without prior knowledge of the artist's music is a bit difficult I find, but I wouldn't have fallen in love with My Ruin otherwise. :monster:
Oh that reminds me, System of a Down's first album too - but at that point it was quite removed from what was in the charts and it got replayed just for being a refreshing difference.

SoulReaper

Titties 'n' Beer
AKA
Lord_Graf
Most people like instant gratification. Most people are also like, real life zombies. Give 'em a spoon and they will swallow. Art? Who cares when everybody likes something even though it's basically told them to. Why are bands such as Radiohead and Coldplay so big, while their music is a sterile and lifeless as it can get? Go figure. Why do Metallica still have a career? Go figure.

Top Bottom