Am I a bad person

Nandemoyasan

Standing guard
AKA
Johnny
Am I a bad person for hating Kingdom Hearts?

I will confess right up front that my ex-wife LOVED KH2, and played it incessantly while we were together, to the point that if I hear the Little Mermaid music sequence one more time, I might actually summon Meteor, so I kind of unfairly hate it and Chrono Cross (for similar reasons).

But ... really, Final Fantasy was my escape from Disney's 'everything is so magical' crap, back when I was a kid. I got into Tolkein because of FF, years before there were movies based on The Hobbit/LotR, and I considered it a thing to be proud of, that I wasn't content to settle for Disney's watered-down fantasy imagery, in favor of what I considered 'the real thing.'

To combine the two, for me, seemed like putting Cheez Whiz on Caviar, as it were (though I've never even tried caviar, and I hear it's salty and gross, you get the idea).

But, so many people seem to LOOOOOOOOVE Kingdom Hearts, and I just can't bring myself to be one of them. I don't even know what Pokemon is, either.

Thoughts?

I was never able to get into KH at all, though I tried, to please people. I am meh about Disney, but have been known to get quite vocally angry about the DIsneyfication of popular culture for children. Even as a kid I wasn't a huge Disney fan, and now it seems to have its tentacles everywhere. So my opinion is that marrying Final Fantasy and Disney spoils FF without doing anything to elevate Disney. So I guess I agree with you more or less.

The G'randiest' Daddy

Teh Bunneh of Doom
AKA
Darth
I mean, I absolutely agree with you regarding the Little Mermaid part - but that's because I'm a choir kid and those gorramn kids can't sing for shit. It was physically painful for me playing that part of KH2.

On the other hand, though I'm known to be rather, uh, derisive of various Disney things, I loved KH as a whole. So I guess, personal taste?

I'd hate to live in a world where everyone likes the same shit, no one would ever invent something new and it'd boring as hell. No one would ever grow, or learn (through learning to appreciate or critique new things) to expand their horizons in a balanced manner.

Also internet flame wars wouldn't exist, and that'd be a terrible blow to my entertainment selection :monster:

Edit: I should perhaps also mention that I'm fully aware of how bad (from a critical perspective) many parts of KH are. But then, I'm a fan of FF (so much bad stuff there too), Star Wars (pure cheese start to finish), several kind-of-bad anime, many kind-of-bad movies, etc. Things can be bad while still being enjoyable, or really good and also really boring. That's the beauty of taste and the human brain.

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
I love KH but if it's something you don't like its something you don't like and I'd never turn round to anyone and go "what the fuck is wrong with you?" if it's not your thing even I admit I was sceptical in beginning of Disney getting involved with SE.

Also Atlantica in KH1 is one of the worst levels/scenarios I've ever played in a game period.

Nah, negative associations are really hard to get over, and there's no reason to feel bad about not liking something if it's just not your thing.

I'm just a casual KH fan (haven't played a KH game since KH2), but I have fond feelings towards the series since in high school my friends and I were pretty big into KH2, so it reminds me of that time. FF + Disney is a pretty bonkers combination, so I can totally see why people get turned off by it, but, personally, I love that there's a series in which Goofy and Sephiroth exist in the same universe, it's like a thirteen-year-old's crackfic come to life. KH is cheesy, no doubt, but I think there's an earnestness to it that's kind of endearing; the fact that the plot is super convoluted is also both exasperating and sort of charming in its own way.

I barely remember Atlantica from KH1, but, given the comments here, I guess that's for the best.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
For the longest time, I hated Disney... heck, I STILL hate Disney. Mostly because of how they lobotomized the Marvel franchise.

But that has nothing to do with KH.

KH is like watching that one TV Series "Quantum Leap" only you're the protagonist of every Disney Film in the experience.

Granted it's not entirely what I'd call "fun"... but at the same time you don't really have to apply "fun" to what is exclusively a Square Enix game.

Rather, treating it as a game story on its own, KH games are more fun when you look at it that way, rather than focus on the Disney parts which are mostly bubblegum for Disney movie fans to chew on.

I like KH games (or at least I'm growing to like them) for the Final Fantasy angle they throw at us. That's my take.

I don't think I'll be hardcore in to KH3, but it's not a sin to not appreciate as others do.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Am I a bad person for hating Kingdom Hearts?

I will confess right up front that my ex-wife LOVED KH2, and played it incessantly while we were together, to the point that if I hear the Little Mermaid music sequence one more time, I might actually summon Meteor, so I kind of unfairly hate it and Chrono Cross (for similar reasons).

But ... really, Final Fantasy was my escape from Disney's 'everything is so magical' crap, back when I was a kid. I got into Tolkein because of FF, years before there were movies based on The Hobbit/LotR, and I considered it a thing to be proud of, that I wasn't content to settle for Disney's watered-down fantasy imagery, in favor of what I considered 'the real thing.'

To combine the two, for me, seemed like putting Cheez Whiz on Caviar, as it were (though I've never even tried caviar, and I hear it's salty and gross, you get the idea).

But, so many people seem to LOOOOOOOOVE Kingdom Hearts, and I just can't bring myself to be one of them. I don't even know what Pokemon is, either.

Thoughts?

Of course not. Just because you hate Kingdom Hearts, that doesn't make you a bad person. Everyone likes different things and that's part of life. I myself don't like Marvel, but that never made me a bad person. In truth, I got into Final Fantasy because of Kingdom Hearts and rediscovered my love for Disney.

But that being said, everyone likes/loves different things. No one's going to stop you from liking the things that you like or not liking the things you don't like.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
no, Kingdom Hearts is terribly told story, though the games themselves are pretty fun when you commit to them. I think if you grew up as a scene kid in the 2000s you have a certain nostalgia for it. It goes hand in hand with all those "lAWL so r4nd0m" things I have a lot of nostalgia for. The aesthetic is a borderline cringey, but my inner weaboo-goth has a certain affection for it.

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
I'm gonna take a different tact here, since it seems like everyone is dancing around the obvious, absolute truth: Yes, you are, fundamentally, a bad person. As Sciencez (tm) has showed, there is a direct, one-to-one link between people's appreciation of popular games being in line with majority opinion, and their core morality--then, ultimately, to their fundamental value (or lack thereof) as a human being. Rather than the concept of 'taste' being abstract and personal, there is, in fact, one inflexible scale of "good" and "bad" passed down ala the Ten Commandments. You might not yet know it, but it starts with not liking Kingdom Hearts, then you find yourself killing small animals in the woods; next thing ya know, you've got a chopped up hitchhiker in the trunk of yer car. This is a safe space...I won't tell anybody about these feelings you've been having about the Almighty "KH"...but I'd be careful where else you bring that up, and how loudly. Goofy be with you.

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
You know when you write 'lol' but you're not actually laughing, and certainly not out loud? @leadmyskeptic I just full on, out loud chuckled at that. So thank you <3
Mwahaha, of course : ) All part of a day's in work in spreading the "Good News" (the 'Good News' being that you'd better repent and get invested in a world where ducks who wear shirts but not pants assist impossibly feminine boys in fighting shapes with door unlockers...I think)

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Tossing my hat into the “fuck Kingdom Hearts” corner.

“But then Xenomort was actually a super nobody of Neo-xenamenamort but was reborn as hunky femme lad in the unworld! Now go bludgeon Pete from Goof Troop with a giant key.”

My biggest problem is that they don’t actually DO anything with the FF characters. They don’t impact the plot in any meaningful way, they don’t get any real arcs, and you don’t get to visit their worlds. They are literally advertisements inside of a Disney property. And they started all this emo Cloud bullshit.

My best pal adores KH and power to him, he’s been waiting for that third game since before FFversusXIII was announced, bless his heart. But man I have no fucking clue what he sees in that shit.

Top Bottom