An off-shoot from the cancelled FFVII web series?

Copy-pasted from S&G's "FFVII Unoffficial Novella" facebook page.

As many of you will know, a Kickstarter fundraising campaign for a Final Fantasy VII web series was recently shut down by SE as it would appear they felt others would be gaining financially from their intellectual property. This is unfortunate, but understandable. However, another privately-funded web series has been in production for some time, and they yesterday released a pair of short videos as a teaser for their creation.

Here is the first video from Roth Rind Productions which acts as a Shinra, Inc. television spot

You can also check out the web series' Facebook page here - https://www.facebook.com/FFVIIWebSeries?fref=ts

Other video: ADDRESS TO THE PEOPLE OF MIDGAR

Those are pretty clever. The first "advertorial" voice was so convincing I was looking for the "skip ad" button to press before I realised it was an ad for Shinra! I thought the second one was also very good, the way the spokesman insulted and threatened his audience - an approach more likely to whip up support for Shinra than vice versa.

It would be great if they were aiming not just to remake the game as a movie but to re-tell the story in a new and imaginative way.

I wish Square Enix had the foresight to get behind these endeavours. Everybody benefits. This is the kind of fandom activity that enshrines a game (or any other story-telling product) permanently in the pantheon of classics. When people stop responding creatively to a work of art, that's when it starts to die.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Haha, I really like that. It is incredible how real that seems. That's exactly the kind of commercial you'll see about GE or something like that.
The second one is cool too, and well-done. I don't think Barret would talk quite like that though, seeing as he himself was duped by them.

Not bad. The pronunciation of "mako" annoyed me, though.

Bah, that's how I always said it. :monster:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i can't watch it at the moment, how is mako being pronounced? like the shark or like 'taco'?

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
I really like the ad. The second one is ok, it just didn't sound like Barret to me.

This looks promising. Looking forward to more.

Splintered

unsavory tart
I actually really enjoyed these, and I like the idea more than a retelling. Taking clips of a few minutes and telling pieces of the world, or snapshots of the story in different eyes just sounds more interesting to me, especially since it would be difficult to live up to a full telling of a story.

Is this getting frontpaged? Because it's pretty awesome.

The second one is cool too, and well-done. I don't think Barret would talk quite like that though, seeing as he himself was duped by them.
Well, there is a bit of self hatred in his character at this point. His deal with people in general is interesting, he's rough and rude pretty directly but take him out of it and talk about "the people" in a general conversation, and he empathizes with them a lot.

I wish Square Enix had the foresight to get behind these endeavours. Everybody benefits. This is the kind of fandom activity that enshrines a game (or any other story-telling product) permanently in the pantheon of classics. When people stop responding creatively to a work of art, that's when it starts to die.
Agreed although I saw it coming. Squeenix is really particular about their copyright (like the Chrono Trigger fangame).

But this kind of fan creativity only gets the fandom active again. There's really nothing to loose from this. I mean, there are probably some technical rules about money making and intellectual property rights, but I don't think they are in danger of losing any revenue. They only stand to gain. :/

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I know what you're saying, I just don't remember Barret ever begrudging the general citizenry for believing Shinra. All of his hatred is always directed at Shinra and Shinra employees (like the train conductor). Even his "terrorist" attacks never seemed to be motivated by scaring people. It was just to shut down a reactor.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
The second one is scary ;_;

However, another privately-funded web series has been in production for some time, and they yesterday released a pair of short videos as a teaser for their creation.
So this one is going to be fine? ... like we're going to see more? Cause I like these so far... I can't wait to see their Yuffie :D

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
I have more hope for this staying afloat than I do for the FFVI endeavour, but that's not really saying much :monster:

The thing is, whoever's doing this one is clearly not a new hand at this. It looks quite professionally done, and on the other hand that arguably makes it more likely for Square Enix to dump a giant cease and desist on them :wacky:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
The first commercial is really well done. That's all I'm gonna say about that.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
I like both videos, I'm just not a big fan of Barret's voice is all.

Lex

Administrator
Oh dear.

I don't have a clear picture of the situation, but from what I understood at the time, there was a lot of bad blood between the Web Series people and Roth Rind a while back - something about him poaching staff and then taking every opportunity to publicly bash the Web Series production. I caught some of it shortly after I joined.

Objectively looking at it it's a neat bit of VII fan stuff and probably has a place here, but I'm definitely not going to be the one writing about it. Many of you know I've had my fair share of run-ins with some of the staff on that project about stupid stuff but this guy really took the biscuit from what I remember.

idk I just don't feel comfortable about this. Mo knows and shared it anyway (?), and Ite knows and didn't mention it. I really didn't feel comfortable ignoring it/ not making it known that this dude is kind of a huge douchebag. I could absolutely be making assumptions where they're not warranted but do with this information what you will.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Near as I can tell, "lots of douchery" and "stupid" summarizes the entire history of the failed Web Series. Don't think we have to necessarily take anyone's side, but if it's the main peeps behind the Web Series calling douchery on someone else associated with it, I can't really take it seriously.

Lex

Administrator
tumblr_m378j6ndTv1r0ftodo1_400.gif

^really the only thing I can honestly say summarizes how I feel about this whole thing. On the one hand, kinda feel like it's wrong to promote the work of a douchebag regardless. On the other, I'm not sure I care all that much. I just seem to have this complex where I feel like everyone should know the details of something if it might affect a decision they make.

original.gif

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
To be honest, I have no idea what Mr. Rind's goals are. This certainly seemed like a vanity project by all accounts, to the point of actively disengaging fans and alienating the community. I'm not even sure what the content is going to be.

On the other hand, the Shinra commercial might be one of the best fan-made things I've ever seen, for a multitude of reasons. As far as I'm concerned, he's already contributed more meaningfully to the community than I ever expected.

In addition, there were many people on the *other* Web Series who were interested in a vanity project, and that is in my opinion the singular reason the project is not moving forward.

So who knows? And who cares? Content matters. That Barret thing was shit, it was poorly written, terribly acted, and the conceit was uninspired and sophomoric. If that is what we can expect from Roth Rind I am profoundly uninterested. The Shinra commercial, meanwhile, was its polar opposite. If THAT is what we can expect from Roth Rind, I'm waiting with baited breath.

Riruka

Rookie Adventurer
First post! :3

If anyone's interested, they've released another video:

h ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV8xk5dWb08

(Sorry, can't post links, just remove the space at the beginning.)

Not as good as the commercial but it's definitely better than Barret's address.

I'm kind of enjoying this. FF7 in found footage style appeals to me.

We have only one choice. We have to CREATE the chocobo. By combining the traits of various birds, we can use SCIENCE to finally have real-life chocobos.

Also, that "found footage" video annoys me too much for me to watch it all the way through. Sure, the video has its merits but I just can't find myself to enjoy it.

Top Bottom