• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Any Final Fantasy VII remake "might delete things, add elements"

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
If Square Enix was to remake RPG classic Final Fantasy 7 it might not be able to resist the temptation to make significant changes to the original game, according to veteran franchise producer Yoshinori Kitase.
Speaking in an interview with OXM, Kitase explained that it wouldn't be very interesting to just do a straight remake.
"If I may speak as a game creator, if we were to produce a remake of 7, for example, I would be really tempted to delete things and add new elements, new systems or whatever because if we were to make exactly the same thing now, it'd be like a repeat," he said.
"It'd be an issue of repetition and not as much fun to make such a game. So I'd be really interested in rearranging games or reshaping games into something slightly different even though it's supposed to be the same game."
However, he conceded that such an approach might not be too popular with certain sections of the franchise's fanbase.
"If we did that, the fans might be disappointed or [say] 'this is not what I was expecting' so in that sense maybe some might say that it's better to let memory be memory.
"When we play the games we made years ago, sometimes we think 'oh, that is not really cool' or 'that probably should have been a bit better than that' and that sort of thing," he continued.
"But on the other hand, those slightly negative features and bits, for some of the really enthusiastic fans of these titles, that gives the game extra flavour or personality or whatever. So maybe they would rather we didn't do anything about it and we just leave it in as it is. It's very difficult to decide what we should we keep in and what we should take out."
Square hasn't confirmed any plans for a fresh take on the 1997 PS1 classic. However, a new version of Final Fantasy 10 is in the works for PlayStation 3 and Vita.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...asy-7-remake-might-delete-things-add-elements

I'm fine with changes, FFVII is horribly dated and a painfully easy game with the exception of one or two minigames.

Keep the story and art style the same and I'm good.

Too bad they refuse to commit to anything.

Ghost X

I'd be curious to what they think are the "oh, that is not really cool" or "that probably should have been a bit better than that" bits. From their recent titles, I'm guessing they dislike everything like :P.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
I wouldn't expect it to be exactly the same...

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I'm fine with changes, FFVII is horribly dated and a painfully easy game with the exception of one or two minigames.

Keep the story and art style the same and I'm good.

Got nothing to add to that.

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
A revamp of the original game play would actually be interesting, I agree they'd have to revamp stuff to make it work, I wouldn't mind a tie in with the rest of the compilation to make the story a bit more consistent though, just after everything that's been released it would make more sense

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
At least Yoshinori "Let's have Zack fight Jenova AND Sephiroth in the Nibelheim Reactor in Crisis Core cause it'd be AWESUM!!!!!11one" Kitase realizes the importance of balancing changes, nostalgia and the original plot in making a remake.

At least he knows *that* much. It gives me some hope...if they ever get off their ass to do it. :monster:

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
Nothing article. If they were remake to FFVII, they would make some changes? Derp.

I love how they make teasers about a FFVII Remake every year when they have absolutely no intention of making it. It's design solely to keep the fans buying their shit until they can actually pull their finger out and make a decent game.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
They need to fuck off. Its not difficult, all they have to do is clean up the story and translation so it makes sense. Make it look good, and I mean better than that drabness that was AC. Throw in lots of juicy sidequests and minigames that don't affect the plot adversely.

The battle system was and is fine I think, its just that they need to make the enemies smarter, ramp up the difficulty a bit. Otherwise they can have a more modern battle system. I dont really care about that. Maybe introduce new types of materia.

They've already got a framework to follow so it should be easier than making a new FF where they have to write a fucking plot and create characters from scratch.

Its just frustrating because all of us here could tell them how to do it if they'd only listen.

"But on the other hand, those slightly negative features and bits, for some of the really enthusiastic fans of these titles, that gives the game extra flavour or personality or whatever. So maybe they would rather we didn't do anything about it and we just leave it in as it is. It's very difficult to decide what we should we keep in and what we should take out."
Why do I get the feeling hes talking about 'this guy are sick'? They should just leave a 'shitty translation' option in a remake for nostalgia value.

Mariketsu

I Am the Darkness, I'm the Monster
AKA
Razael
Agreed with Tifabelle, I would expect some changes largely because it would be a remake, no matter how you look at it. Obviously they may change/update/add-on to it and possibly implement previous ideas and such they otherwise were unable to do or lacked budget for the first time. I would welcome some changes if they were done decently and not to extreme measures.

As for the 'teasers' they tend to do, I feel it's an obvious ploy pointing out that they infact, will make a remake and only try to say that they won't/can't. It just seems to me that they're just beating around the bush until they actually do make it.

~ Raz

Why do I get the feeling hes talking about 'this guy are sick'?
He is a Japanese guy who doesn't speak English. I doubt that he even knows how obsolete the English translation was, even less kept track of an FFVII meme.

They should just leave a 'shitty translation' option in a remake for nostalgia value.
This means that they'd have to form an entire division to create a feature that would not at all be present in the Japanese release. I believe that this would be way too much work and the overseas release would be delayed by many months. I'd rather have that, when the game is translated to Japanese, that they write in a reference or two to the famous mistranslations.

Have Aerith say: "This guy are si- uh I mean, this guy is sick.", even though in the Japanese game she will not need to correct herself.
That's my opinion.:hohum:

Last edited:

AvecAloes

Donator
Why do I get the feeling hes talking about 'this guy are sick'? They should just leave a 'shitty translation' option in a remake for nostalgia value.

Hahaha, that would seem appropriate :P

But really, I remember hearing rumors a few years ago that they were supposed to make some big announcement at one of the conventions (yes, I know, really vague here but my mind isn't drumming up the memory very well - Force, do you remember when we talked about this? I tried to find record of it on facebook, I know it exists, but I can't pin it down)...and then they didn't. I don't really expect anything to happen anytime in the near future, or even slightly distant future, to be honest.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
A remake would HAVE to better establish the world's history and infrastructure imo.

BC and CC are fucking worthless in that regard.

BC is just shite, infact everything regarding the turks in the compilation is crap.

Last edited:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
He is a Japanese guy who doesn't speak English. I doubt that he even knows how obsolete the English translation was, even less kept track of an FFVII meme.

I dunno, I find that hard to believe that he didn't get wind of that. Even if he doesn't speak English he must have heard that the English translation had a few glaring errors?

Pretty sure Sam Rami knows about 'Captain Supermarket' yknow? :monster:

This means that they'd have to form an entire division to create a feature that would not at all be present in the Japanese release. I believe that this would be way too much work and the overseas release would be delayed by many months. I'd rather have that, when the game is translated to Japanese, that they write in a reference or two to the famous mistranslations.

Have Aerith say: "This guy are si- uh I mean, this guy is sick.", even though in the Japanese game she will not need to correct herself.
That's my opinion.:hohum:

I just thought he seemed to be getting at those weird little idiosyncrasies that we all love so much. I dunno though, was the Japanese version full of plot holes and typos too?

I think this sounds great especially since the original is now easily available for download if you have a PS3 (and PSP?). If you want that, you can get it, for rather cheap too if I remember correctly. And this, this would be fresh and new and would appeal to a new generation.

Overall, I approve of the concept.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
I HOPE THAT THEY ADD LOADS OF REFERENCES AND SHOUT OUTS TO THE COMPILATION AND GENESIS IN PARTICULAR HE IS MAI FAV!!!!!!!111 ^_^

ForceStealer

Double Growth

I'd be surprised if anyone in Japan knows about "this guy are sick."

AvecAloes said:
But really, I remember hearing rumors a few years ago that they were supposed to make some big announcement at one of the conventions (yes, I know, really vague here but my mind isn't drumming up the memory very well - Force, do you remember when we talked about this? I tried to find record of it on facebook, I know it exists, but I can't pin it down)...and then they didn't. I don't really expect anything to happen anytime in the near future, or even slightly distant future, to be honest.

Well at this last E3 there was BIG ANNOUNCEMENT coming, and it was Final Fantasy 4 Heroes of Light. Some DS game that at no point did anyone care about.

And I love you, hito.

Marle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Ava, Spike Spiegel, Stella Nox Fleuret, Altair Ibn-La'Ahad, Princess Zelda, Alice, Raven Roth, Faye Valentine, Tifa Lockhart, Khal Drogo
I think this remake is going to be their trump card; when everything fails completely and miserably, they're going to try an FF7 remake because, good or bad, they know it's going to rake in so much money, it'll be ridiculous.

I'm down for a remake. Like everyone has already said, just don't touch the freakin' storyline. And don't touch the characters. At all. Like, period. Don't change their dialogue unless it's to correct typos.

The battle system can be changed for all I care, as long as you can still use materia and all the classic weapons, I'll probably be happy. Mini games and any other additions or changes to mini games is honestly a whatever to me. If it's fun, it's fun. :D

Just. Don't. Ruin. The. Story.

I can't stress it enough because I feel like they'll do just that.

But what of voice acting, I wonder? Yay or Nay?

I think I wouldn't mind some voice acting for important scenes but...just make it decent. and pick better people for Aerith and Tifa, please

Vivi

Jump Rope Champion
AKA
Vivi, Setzer Gabbiani
As long as Genesis isn't mentioned anywhere in the game, I'd be all right with a few changes. Not that it matters, since this will probably never happen.

e.suna

little nerdling
I hate so many of the retcons and extraneous characters introduced in the Compilation, but those will probably be involved in many of the changes they would make.

I dunno, I'm scared that a remake won't feel like the original FFVII at all. They've been bad at recreating the atmosphere and magic of the OG, so I am really apprehensive that they could pull this off.

Guts

The Black Swordsman
AKA
Aithex, Atom
Cait Sith is awesome. Honeybee Inn is awesome. Threads and game directors like this just make me feel alienated from a franchise I enjoy, but at least I know FFVII will rest at ease in my memory no matter what vile contortions they bend the plot with.

I didn't hate a single character in FFVII, of the main crew. And I don't want anything taken out. Added? Maybe. But taken out? No.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Honestly I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here and say that it would be really really dumb for them not to fit it in with the rest of the Compilation. It already exists, and honestly SE should just nut up and fit it in with the rest. Also it would be really really dumb to not change the dialogue and translation.

I mean why would I pay upwards of 60 dollars for the exact same fucking game? Why would anyone?

Guts

The Black Swordsman
AKA
Aithex, Atom
It doesn't necessarily have to be the same just for keeping with the OG's self contained canon. It could add things. There are many small touches and atmospheric details they could tack on even within Midgar, choice branches and maybe even a new battle system. We simply don't need anything removed to do this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom