Any thoughts for ideas or insights for my own take on a remake of FF7...? (purely for fun)

Littlewing

Pro Adventurer
AKA
human
Yeah, I'm new to the forums but I've been a big FF fan and geek for almost as long as I can remember. I was inspired by the idea randomly by chance after hearing about the premise of an Final Fantasy 7 remake and seeing that in it's early announcement coming into fruition and suddenly had all these ideas of my own come to my mind, what with how the movie industry has changed and advancement in comparison to 15-20 years prior at the least, I think it would be interesting to take some of those perspectives that cinema has learned and apply them to series like Final Fantasy, though that's mostly just from a purely hypothetical standpoint, because they've managed to turn so many different concepts and source material from books and comic books to video games into movies, I really wanted to envision or glimpse how they'd treat and approach some franchise like Final Fantasy for example from this stand point or lens.

Littlewing

Pro Adventurer
AKA
human
Oh sorry, I thought I could edit my posts after by chance if I had posted them. Finishing what I said, I draw and sketch a little, and can make relatively realistic compositions and thus I just wanted to make a bunch of sketches and concepts as if they were making a FF7 movie or something, but I some leaning more towards an Americanized attempt more then anything even though it's not outright a preference or bias; it's just captured my fascination the most, I don't think their versions are the most superior or anything.

So like, I did some character designs and stuff. I feel kind of ridiculous and stupid taking this seriously at all it's just something I found myself getting caught into and I like imagining and thinking about it. I wouldn't finish it as a 'comic book' but i'd make it look like an incomplete one and wouldn't ever officially title or name it anything I think (probably) at least, that's what is most certain I imagine. My take is way darker though it would be one of those movies where the cast and crew would presumably be experienced and well-trained in their specific expertise but it would almost be like a Zach Snyder film and get bad reviews despite the actual standing and artistic integrity the finished product or material and value it might appear to retain or withhold.

in doing this, there's a bunch of things I noticed about the Final Fantasy franchise as a whole too that I didn't notice before either. Like, it's all so detailed and there's so many layers and depths to the series and individual iterations. For example, I don't want to ruin it but I think all the various sequels are all connected somehow throughout all the games and storylines. They all connect somehow. I think that's so mindblowing.

Final Fantasy 7, there's a lot of unstated things in the games and I wonder if it's better this way. For example, like, what's with all the junk and discarded machinery or metal parts laying all over the slums? I think this world used to be very technologically advanced but like the Tower of Babel must have somehow faced a huge decline which lead to the reliance on "Mako" as an energy source, which I think is like genius as well. And then, there's other things that aren't altogether explained but I'm replaying it and noticing all this depth that I hadn't before. Lol.

Hi Littlewing
Welcome to the home of the wild, the outrageous, the really out-there ideas and headcanons. It's unlikely you could speculate or suggest anything about Final Fantasy that hasn't been raised at least once in these forums already. You don't need to apologise for your thoughts, don't worry. The series is amazingly deep and interconnected. We have a creativity section and you should absolutely go ahead with your suggested project and post it there. I'd love to see it and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Littlewing

Pro Adventurer
AKA
human
But some ideas and thoughts I had, another cool thing, I think like, Final Fantasy 7 takes from like a hella-ton of very popular and influential movies, that whilst had positive reviews seemed to have relatively stayed underground or not been ever become super mainstream.

For example, Metropolis is a huge one, and then Akira is another one I find obvious now (again, I don't want to ruin it)

But I wanted to make drawings like that, and come up with scenes. So some ideas I had which stray from the original and I also thought, for one, why is Cloud so young, and amongst women who are his age but then all the other characters are fairly older and thus not as relatable? they almost stay in the background and as a whole they're all similar to Cloud while then, the characters (except for Aerith) (ha ha ha Aretha) sorta don't say much throughout or are short of words a lot. Sure it doesn't focus on I think the emotional world of characters as much but I still noticed that. (but again it's a little unstated it's why the story is good) I then thought that a lot of the main characters like Barret and Cid should be more closer to Cloud's age but slightly older and more experienced? I thought Barret should be slightly more outgoing, and Cid should literally be a pilot for Shinra and Soldier but quickly leaves the organizations after meeting the party through series of events that are coincidental. I think it's good that there's a gruff character, but I dunno, I think Barret would be more interesting and relatable. He seems too old and stuff I think. I wanted Tifa to have and use guns at the beginning of the story just because it's more realistic and "American" I guess, LOL. Like, how does she survive solely on being a female martial artist and why does she hang out and associate with this small group without anything else to rely on? what's the explanation? I guess magic, but it never says for certain. Like she has a materia that makes her as strong as a man? testosterone Materia? Titan Materia? instead of being infused with Mako as well, something like that instead?

And then I noticed and though as well, why and how is Sephiroth famous in there world? for what exactly?

Littlewing

Pro Adventurer
AKA
human
Hi Littlewing
Welcome to the home of the wild, the outrageous, the really out-there ideas and headcanons. It's unlikely you could speculate or suggest anything about Final Fantasy that hasn't been raised at least once in these forums already. You don't need to apologise for your thoughts, don't worry. The series is amazingly deep and interconnected. We have a creativity section and you should absolutely go ahead with your suggested project and post it there. I'd love to see it and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Well, I'm not trying to really be too grandiose with attempting to achieve or accomplish anything, this was just some weird project I thought of doing for fun by some strange intrinsic reason I can't explain. I just like picturing and imagining the possibilities in my head. I wonder though, if to the Japanese, the remake seems grounded and practical to them and vice versa? it's just America puts a lot of emphasis on such qualities and traits to wherein fantasy and science fiction are expected to such qualities I guess.

That's why I was thinking that for example, Dyne should be one of the leaders in Avalanche at the beginning of the story, instead of only appearing at the corel prison facilty. I just think, it would work better if he was the really gruff, stoic, and serious character type, while is less of a stereotype of Mr.T and other silly examples.

Littlewing

Pro Adventurer
AKA
human
Again, I know this is silly and stupid ranting like this, but I just had fun thinking about all this junk and also in turn noticing all the depth that exists or various sources of inspirtation used in Final Fantasy 7.
For example, I'm sure Midgar was slightly inspired by the concept art and backdrop paintings from Tim Burtons Batman movies. So like, it's very similar to Gotham city.

I had some ideas. Cloud is like a mercenary-ish person for hire, or does odd jobs here and there all the time. I thought he would be more situated and established since it's more realistic at the beginning. I was thinking as well, it would be sorta Akira and Lord of the Flies esque for Cloud to have his own motorcycle and be kind of the most respected or notorious enforcer in part of the Slums early on. He drives a motorcycle everywhere, which he often used on scheduled drives to unofficially guard or monitor the slums and keep them from becoming out of control or fall under influence and control of the wrong group; because even though Shinra has a dictatorship, there's not that many laws in the slums altogether. Also, while there's Tifa I thought Yuffie should also appear early on as well since it fits together better. 7th Heaven would be a really rowdy, noisy and out of control bar at times, which again, of course Cloud surveys and keeps safe on a regular basis. I like imagining that for some reason. His suit would be bluish or something and the same basically but it would be a motorcycle suit at first in the beginning since it's the most convenient for him. His sword, it's really large but actually isn't sharp, he just uses it as a shield or to hit people really hard with. It can be sharp but it has a brace that's on it, like in Advent Children where he has multiple connecting swords and weapons, same basic thing I guess. There'd also be Dyne and Barret, and they both sort of struggle over who has the most power or influence and proper say or decision making in the group but I guess Dyne is more experienced and older then Barret. (Barret would only be just like in his early 30s instead of what ever he is in the game like late 30s early 40s?) (he looks so sick and haggard now) (he's so stereotypical and obvious)

The main group in charge at Shinra, I'd draw them to be more noticeably based on the Nazi general and leaders during WW2 since I think they are (lol?) I hope that's not seriously offensive I just find it interesting.

So Yuffie tags along with Cloud all the time, she's an orphan and Cloud see's himself in her a lot and they're kind of close friends along with Tifa and the like and is a burgeoning Ninja of sort or something you could prolly observe or would have to interpret.

And then I thought as well, hallway through the game, when they leave Shinra and Midgar, what's the explanation and storyline behind the rest of the world? where do they go and socially/politically where does everything else lie? if you were to draw real life comparisons, the general perception or state of the world is not the same as it were in the 90s anymore.

Littlewing

Pro Adventurer
AKA
human
Damnit, I keep thinking I can edit my posts and forget that I cannot in fact at all! yeah basically, that's supposed to be this giant propaganda poster for Shinra, Soldier with Sephiroth on it, which is why he's one of the most famous and succesful SOLDIERS supposedly in the world prior to teh events of the main game. I just thought it was a funny idea, how is he famous? so, throughout the game there's like giant posters you can click to look at and they'd be like that "SHINRA UNITED" with like guards and sometimes Sephiroth or like the president and such. I found all these Soviet Union posters that are quite interesting to look at. I thought Sephiorth would be relatively normal looking at first, I guess he'd be like an inverse version of Captain America at first from the Marvel movies a little bit. LOL.

Top Bottom