Arcane

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Best animated show is a tall claim that I don't feel like trying to really weigh.

But it was very good. I'm glad I didn't know anything about LoL, when I looked stuff up after finishing it, I found how obvious it would have made where the characters were going to end up. I'm glad I was along for the ride.
And yeah, the animation itself looks fantastic.

Reactions: Ite

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
its kind of insane how the quality of these multi episode TV project is comparable in visual quality to spider-verse.

I really hate the opening tho and I hope they change it for the next season.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I kinda liked the intro, ngl, don’t know why it gets dunked on so much. Could definitely use a new song each season, but I like the “living statues” visuals. The whole thing is just so artful.

Of all the things I love about the show, the thing I like the least is the politics,
which is strange because I’m usually a sucker for nobles bickering around tables. The sense I got was that the show was trying hard to be, like, centrist? Very establishment-democrat-vibe morality, with the tragedy flavour being “If only they could have trusted the process,” but maybe I’m too much of a blue haired leftist to appreciate it. Caitlin may be a precious gay cinnamon roll, but even then, ACAB.

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
I've only watched the first episode so far, but I'm already hooked. The art style, the music, and the violent, authentic feel of the street fight, that was gooooood.

arcane-league-of-legends.gif

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I kinda liked the intro, ngl, don’t know why it gets dunked on so much.
[/spoiler]

i never know you were a member of imagine dragons (lol i jk)

but ye I think the show tries its best to like, as inoffensive as possible. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing? I definitely think it shows when an episode/character wants to make a broader point about something, but the overarching desire to keep things within a very Neoliberal Sensibility kinda stifles some of the drama. But like, I think the level of complexity is sufficient for its target audience, which is probably teenagers.

I was having a discussion with a friend (who's really into League, bless her) about whether it was intentional Caitlin is the best and least problematic of the cast. Her response was that she is indeed the best, but Heimerdinger is probably the least problematic, and I was like oh ya tru.

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
This isn't Looney's fault, but that term (problematic) gives me a headache XD I think Tumblr and Twitter have absolutely ruined it for me.

I will say that the level of complexity being teenager level is surprising to hear, because I was struck by how mature and complex the writing for the show actually was. Not that teenage level writing can't be that -- my fav animated show is actually Avatar: The Last Airbender -- but I think Arcane feels closer to adult than teenager in terms of complexity. [But yes, target audience is surely teenager.]

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Maybe complexity isn't the right way to put it. I think the show is very obvious when it condemns certain character's outlooks, despite them not being necessarily wrong.

for the record, that convo I was having definitely had a good layer of irony to it.

Top Bottom