• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Ardyn

Hello everyone! Been a while since I have posted on here and hope everyone is ok! And I wanted to add if you haven't completed FFXV yet then don't read ahead as of course there's spoilers below.....

I did find the games story lacking but one character I found incredibly well written was Ardyn. He is my favourite character by far in the FFXV game and I wanted to ask could it be argued that Ardyn is the most powerful FF villain? I know I haven't delved into my opinion as to why yet but I am half asleep but I will go into why I think he is and I'm sure people are going to highlighy disagree but I look forward to all your opinions :geek:

Kionae

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Desha
Well... He is immortal, after all, and on top of that is descended from the Lucian royal line and so possesses powers similar to Noctis. Not to mention all the daemons he absorbed, which give him a power over them, and the political power he amassed as chancellor.

I can't think, offhand, of another FF with an immortal villain. Jenova might qualify, having survived 5000 years in a geological stratum, and then being decapitated by Sephiroth, though her power lay mostly in psychological manipulation and control.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Sephiroth would be another immortal.

The Emperor from FFII is comparable to Ardyn in a lot of ways -- possessing powerful magic, commanding (literal) demons and being damn near immortal. He even conquers both Heaven and Hell after being killed the first time.

In terms of dangerous abilities and raw destructive power, several FF villains (e.g. Kefka, Kuja, Ultimecia, Yu Yevon, Sephiroth) would outpace Ardyn, at least based on what we saw him do, but he's still a highly effective villain and easily my favorite right now.

I wished SE had showed more of his destructive side, hopefully we will get a DLC of him as I'd prefer that than the four brothers but I'm not convinced they'll do one for Ardyn.

But what we have seen Ardyn do and that's be highly manipulative and incredibly intelligent. We also know he could heal people from the Scourge, control demons, control time, create illusions, time warp, highly efficient sword abs and can use magic without the ring. And he had Eos in darkness for ten years.

And he accomplished his goal which was to die and eradicate the Lucis line. And seen as we didn't get to see much of Ardyn's power I'll go with the other ff villains being physical more powerful but for example I'm pretty sure he could win Sephiroth as he'd out wit him as Sephiroth is pretty dumb when it comes to battle. Due to his arrogance of power he thinks he'll just win on that merit and let's his guard down and gets pawned. And that's what I find frustrating about crazy Sephiroth but this topic is dangerously about him so I'll quit while I'm ahead.

Kionae

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Desha

But is he? I mean... obviously, his body was preserved in materia for the five years he was absent from the world's timeline and during that time his consciousness traveled the lifestream, but Cloud et al stopped him before he could fully merge with it and realize his ambition to become one with the planet.

But is he? I mean... obviously, his body was preserved in materia for the five years he was absent from the world's timeline and during that time his consciousness traveled the lifestream, but Cloud et al stopped him before he could fully merge with it and realize his ambition to become one with the planet.

Well Sephiroth's will stops the lifestream diffusing him and can't he manipulate the Jenova cells to bring himself back?

Kionae

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Desha
That only works up to a point. Once Jenova's cells are eradicated, he's gone, at least in the physical sense. It's sort of a theological debate as to whether or not he qualifies as immortal once his body is gone and there is nothing to use to regenerate it/clone it/whatever it. Is consciousness immortal? If so, does that make Aerith an immortal as well, as the planet responds to her plea to stop meteor, and Marlene senses her as it happens?

But I do agree, Sephiroth wouldn't stand a chance in hell against Ardyn. Ardyn can easily match him physically/magically, and on top of that, and he's a whole lot more calculating and manipulative than Sephiroth ever shows himself to be. The guy essentially gained control of an entire country, and that country proceeded to more or less conquer the world.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
In regards to both villians, Sephiroth was impossible to defeat due to being a hybrid, yet Cloud didn't have that much of a way of being that speical and had bad brain damage but he still managed to defeat Sephiroth by just thoughts and memories of his friends and later used his abilities given to him via experiments and Zack's memories to help him other times.

In Noctis' case, it was his destiny to kill Ardyn as he was the only one who managed to kill him. Though it was the only way to save the world by sacrifice.

I don't mind Ardyn. Kind of a weirdo as through out the trailers before the actual game was released, I thought he was just a mysterious character while that old guy leading the Nilhiem soldiers was the main antagonist of Final Fantasy XV, but when it was revealed that Ardyn was the true villian, I was caught by surprise.

As for showing him a bit more on that, I kind of would like to see a prequel that features him from being a protagonist and through out the story he slowly becomes who he is in FFXV and in the end, the story ends with him seeking revenge which leads into Noctis' story.

That only works up to a point. Once Jenova's cells are eradicated, he's gone, at least in the physical sense. It's sort of a theological debate as to whether or not he qualifies as immortal once his body is gone and there is nothing to use to regenerate it/clone it/whatever it. Is consciousness immortal? If so, does that make Aerith an immortal as well, as the planet responds to her plea to stop meteor, and Marlene senses her as it happens?

But I do agree, Sephiroth wouldn't stand a chance in hell against Ardyn. Ardyn can easily match him physically/magically, and on top of that, and he's a whole lot more calculating and manipulative than Sephiroth ever shows himself to be. The guy essentially gained control of an entire country, and that country proceeded to more or less conquer the world.

I agree and I don't think his consciousness makes him immortal and I don't know if I'm correct about the Jenova cells theory or it was if someone remembered him. I am sure I read in the Black and White On the way to Smile. I could be totally wrong as it is sounding to me very Kingdom Heartsy.

And couldn't agree more with you with the Ardyn/Sephiroth fight and seen as he could heal one could argue he might even be able to heal Sephiroth of the Jenova cells. But again I could be reaching.

In regards to both villians, Sephiroth was impossible to defeat due to being a hybrid, yet Cloud didn't have that much of a way of being that speical and had bad brain damage but he still managed to defeat Sephiroth by just thoughts and memories of his friends and later used his abilities given to him via experiments and Zack's memories to help him other times.

In Noctis' case, it was his destiny to kill Ardyn as he was the only one who managed to kill him. Though it was the only way to save the world by sacrifice.

I don't mind Ardyn. Kind of a weirdo as through out the trailers before the actual game was released, I thought he was just a mysterious character while that old guy leading the Nilhiem soldiers was the main antagonist of Final Fantasy XV, but when it was revealed that Ardyn was the true villian, I was caught by surprise.

As for showing him a bit more on that, I kind of would like to see a prequel that features him from being a protagonist and through out the story he slowly becomes who he is in FFXV and in the end, the story ends with him seeking revenge which leads into Noctis' story.

With regards to Sephiroth in my opinion before he went crazy and traveled the lifestream. He was harder to defeat (even though his power grew immensely after the lifestream) and I've said it before but sane Sephy wasn't stupid and took fights seriously. Crazy Sephiroth doesn't take anyone seriously and his arrorgance is his downfall. But indestructible? No Cloud & Co have proven this multiple times. If Sephiroth hadn't gone insane he'd still would've aged and ultimately died maybe at a slower rate than anyone else but still would've died. Unlike Ardyn.

I truly haven't enjoyed a FF villain as much as Ardyn and I really hope we do get more story about him from SE.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
That only works up to a point. Once Jenova's cells are eradicated, he's gone, at least in the physical sense.
That's not really a reasonable measure of immortality, though. "Not immortal because can be destroyed" would disqualify every immortal in the history of sci-fi and fantasy narrative. =P

In the most conventional sense, "immortal" just means "will not die unless killed; may require special circumstances."

Kionae said:
It's sort of a theological debate as to whether or not he qualifies as immortal once his body is gone and there is nothing to use to regenerate it/clone it/whatever it. Is consciousness immortal? If so, does that make Aerith an immortal as well, as the planet responds to her plea to stop meteor, and Marlene senses her as it happens?
I wasn't referring to disembodied circumstances, but as it goes with villains at least, so long as they are capable of exerting their will, being a threat, influencing the world, etc., they aren't gone -- and whether that then qualifies them as immortal doesn't strike me so much as a philosophical debate as an inconsequential one.

Kionae said:
But I do agree, Sephiroth wouldn't stand a chance in hell against Ardyn. Ardyn can easily match him physically/magically ...
I will have to disagree with that, at least as far as confidently saying "easily" goes. Sephiroth inarguably performs more impressive displays of power. Whether Ardyn could have done comparable feats but never did isn't really shown either way, but it's not out of the question since Seph always held back anyway. Ardyn could have been doing the same.

Kionae said:
... and on top of that, and he's a whole lot more calculating and manipulative than Sephiroth ever shows himself to be.
That much I have to agree with.

Kionae said:
The guy essentially gained control of an entire country, and that country proceeded to more or less conquer the world.
In fairness, Niflheim had conquered most of the world before Ardyn showed up.

If Sephiroth hadn't gone insane he'd still would've aged and ultimately died maybe at a slower rate than anyone else but still would've died. Unlike Ardyn.
It isn't equitable to measure Sephiroth at his weakest against Ardyn after he had been absorbing a supernatural parasite. Prior to absorbing the scourge, Ardyn would also have aged and died like anyone else too.

At their peak, both men were immortal and damn close to indestructible.

Harley said:
I truly haven't enjoyed a FF villain as much as Ardyn and I really hope we do get more story about him from SE.
Maybe. I can't decide if we got just enough or if I'm willing to risk them overdoing it.

TerraBranfordStrife

Terra + Cloud forever
Ardyn is the only successful villain, isn't he? He accomplishes everything he wanted to do. (sorry if I'm forgetting another villain ^^; )

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
Wasn't Caius said to be the most powerful FF villain when he was introduced?

He was the most dangerous or something. I wouldn't even call Caius a villain since he never kills any one.

His method(s) were villainous though.

Ardyn is the only successful villain, isn't he? He accomplishes everything he wanted to do. (sorry if I'm forgetting another villain ^^; )

Both Caius and Ardyn.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
While Caius didn't directly kill anyone directly that I can remember, he did kill the world by causing it to be engulfed with the ethereal chaos stuff. Anyone who died because of that would probably call it his fault. :awesome:

JechtShotMK9

The Sublimely Magnificent One
AKA
Kamiccolo9
While Caius didn't directly kill anyone directly that I can remember, he did kill the world by causing it to be engulfed with the ethereal chaos stuff. Anyone who died because of that would probably call it his fault. :awesome:

Nah, his voice was sexy enough that everyone forgave him. And now he's the God of Death or some shit. I kinda lost any kinda of idea of what was going on in LR after Lightning went Super Saiyan in the end.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Wasn't Caius said to be the most powerful FF villain when he was introduced?

He was the most dangerous or something. I wouldn't even call Caius a villain since he never kills any one.

His method(s) were villainous though.

Just because he never killed anyone doesn't mean it doesn't make him a villian. He was practically nuts in getting what he wants and only wanted Yuel to continue living, whether even she wanted to or not.

But yeah, he was pretty dangerous, but I think both Sephiroth and Aydn beats him in being insanely dangerous as neither had really learned their lesson in the end while Caius somewhat did due to unable being saved in Lighting Returns.

Both Caius and Ardyn.

Yeah, they both succeeded in bringing ruin. Then again, Kefka succeeded in bringing the world into ruin too in Final Fantasy 6.

It was practically his fault since 1) he probably didn't even ask Etro to lift the curse on Yuel, and 2) all he cared about at the time was her survival, not her happiness. The dude was practically blind even by just day one. He forced Noel into damaging the world and brought down torture to Lightning and Serah with glee.

Ardyn on the other hand, killed Lunafreya because he loved making other people suffer even if neither of them did anything wrong to him. 2,000 years of having Daemons inside him drove him almost as insane as Sephiroth.

TerraBranfordStrife

Terra + Cloud forever
Ardyn was more successful than Kefka because he got everything he wanted -- the end of the line of Kings and his own death. Kefka brought ruin to the world but wasn't allowed to revel in it long before being defeated.
Also, I think Ardyn killed Luna for two reasons -- 1) to give Noctis even more reason to continue on his path as Chosen King and wanting to kill him and 2) to make sure there was no way any more children in their line would be born.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
I did find the games story lacking but one character I found incredibly well written was Ardyn. He is my favourite character by far in the FFXV game and I wanted to ask could it be argued that Ardyn is the most powerful FF villain?
I would give that title to Bhunivelze.

Unlike most Final Fantasy villians(even discounting the Cloud of Darkness), Bhunivelze is a God and near immortal to begin with. I don't think that guy is even dead, to be honest. Just sealed away for most likely all eternity.

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
I did find the games story lacking but one character I found incredibly well written was Ardyn. He is my favourite character by far in the FFXV game and I wanted to ask could it be argued that Ardyn is the most powerful FF villain?

Unlike most Final Fantasy villians(even discounting the Cloud of Darkness), Bhunivelze is a God and near immortal to begin with. I don't think that guy is even dead, to be honest. Just sealed away for most likely all eternity.

He's not. In both translations, it's mentioned that he'll eventually come back.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA

Yeah, but Lightning's story, let alone the FFXIII story is pretty much over, so there won't be anymore of FFXIII main storyline.

Anyway, getting off topic. What I don't get is why people are calling Arydn a redhead(which was apparently the main reason why Keiji Fujiwara voiced him due to his work as Reno in the FFVII franchise and Axel/Lea in the KH franchise). If anything, Ardyn's hair looks more of a purplely pink colour to me.

Yeah, but Lightning's story, let alone the FFXIII story is pretty much over, so there won't be anymore of FFXIII main storyline.

Anyway, getting off topic. What I don't get is why people are calling Arydn a redhead(which was apparently the main reason why Keiji Fujiwara voiced him due to his work as Reno in the FFVII franchise and Axel/Lea in the KH franchise). If anything, Ardyn's hair looks more of a purplely pink colour to me.

Really I see his hair as a brown with a slight red tinge if that makes sense? Nothing likes Reno's though.

GokaiWhite

GokaiWhite
AKA
Hexafres
I think, for all his wickedness, Ardyn was just another pawn in a game even the astrals don't know is being played; a cruel game orchestrated by the True Accursed, a man whose view of the gods was forever damaged beyond all hope because of past mistakes.

Who is that, you may ask? Wait until I'm allowed to share links to find out!

Top Bottom